Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Who has experienced an oil pump failure?
2016 or earlier 20 13.79%
2017 53 36.55%
2018 67 46.21%
2019 2 1.38%
2020 2 1.38%
2021 1 0.69%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #309
Marcedward_907

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost or bust View Post
Are you saying you are not going to have The dealer repair under warranty ? I can assure you that after I had mine warranty repaired...you will spend many thousands of dollars on the repair to have someone do it .. just a heads up. It is a big job.
For now yes. The cost of getting my car to and from the dealerships down south may run 4-5 thousand. And there’s no absolute guarantee that they’ll take care of it.
Marcedward_907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #310
ZL1 affair

Drives: 1of 66 Orange Crush 2020 ZL1’s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcedward_907 View Post
For now yes. The cost of getting my car to and from the dealerships down south may run 4-5 thousand. And there’s no absolute guarantee that they’ll take care of it.
Getting it to the dealer sounds like GM's problem, no? Perhaps they have someone where you live that can complete the repairs for them?
Old 02-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #311
Marcedward_907

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 affair View Post
Getting it to the dealer sounds like GM's problem, no? Perhaps they have someone where you live that can complete the repairs for them?
I wish it was their problem. When purchasing the car they made it very apparent they do not cover transportation costs aside from to the dealerships (brand new), plus with it not being able to run it’s a logistical nightmare to worry about getting it on and off a barge to leave Alaska then getting onto a tow truck seems easy.

I will dig deeper and reach out to Chevrolet to see if they can work with any potentially authorized repair shops to see if it can/may be covered. At this point however if pulling the motor and whatnot is going to be a 20+ hour job for the mechanic then I may end up looking at whatever other “while it’s out” type mods can be done.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #312
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
I wish it was their problem. When purchasing the car they made it very apparent they do not cover transportation costs aside from to the dealerships (brand new), plus with it not being able to run it’s a logistical nightmare to worry about getting it on and off a barge to leave Alaska then getting onto a tow truck seems easy.

I will dig deeper and reach out to Chevrolet to see if they can work with any potentially authorized repair shops to see if it can/may be covered. At this point however if pulling the motor and whatnot is going to be a 20+ hour job for the mechanic then I may end up looking at whatever other “while it’s out” type mods can be done.
Can't just trailer it through Canada?
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #313
Marcedward_907

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Can't just trailer it through Canada?
Ketchikan unfortunately is landlocked. Lol. If there was a way to get it to Washington without costing enough to just have a shop do it I’d go that route for sure. But, the guy I’m taking it to is experienced and I trust his judgement when he says he feels perfectly comfortable doing it. Plus, I’ll be able to help wrench on it and be able to learn a thing or two.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #314
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
So now I am wondering, for the ones that had a failed oil pump, did you change the oil at 500 miles, or 1,500 miles, or when the light came on and told you to?

Curious... if there was something in the oil? No corvettes reported an issue so it is only a camaro issue.

And only in the USA seemingly. I don't remember if you can ship a car overseas with oil in it? For some reason I thought all fluids had to be drained, maybe not?

I wonder because I had that 2018 convertible ZL1 and change the oil 3 times in first 4K miles. I think at 500, then 1500, then I think just before 4k. Never an issue. And it was in the dreaded time frame. I didn't know it then though.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #315
Marcedward_907

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
So now I am wondering, for the ones that had a failed oil pump, did you change the oil at 500 miles, or 1,500 miles, or when the light came on and told you to?

Curious... if there was something in the oil? No corvettes reported an issue so it is only a camaro issue.

And only in the USA seemingly. I don't remember if you can ship a car overseas with oil in it? For some reason I thought all fluids had to be drained, maybe not?
I did oil changes at recommended break in. 500 , 1500, then from there every 3500-5000 (depending on oil life meter), hadn’t had any issues till about a month ago I noticed my Warmed up idle Oil Pressure would hover around 20PSI, apparently seems to be one of the first warning signs.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #316
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
I did oil changes at recommended break in. 500 , 1500, then from there every 3500-5000 (depending on oil life meter), hadn’t had any issues till about a month ago I noticed my Warmed up idle Oil Pressure would hover around 20PSI, apparently seems to be one of the first warning signs.
Ok, good information. Had to be a problem in the pump then for sure.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #317
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:

Crazy logistical situation you have there lol. I applaud you for even having a ZL1 in Alaska!

If the cost/pain in the butt is about equal either way, I’m with you on learning some things and putting on some goodies you probably already wanted anyway.

I would have to make a call to Chevy first though. Good luck man!
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #318
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Ketchikan unfortunately is landlocked. Lol. If there was a way to get it to Washington without costing enough to just have a shop do it I’d go that route for sure. But, the guy I’m taking it to is experienced and I trust his judgement when he says he feels perfectly comfortable doing it. Plus, I’ll be able to help wrench on it and be able to learn a thing or two.
I went to Ketchican on a cruise ship for a business convention. As I recall, it had about 4000 people and 35 jewelry stores.

If it's landlocked, I dont see how you put so many miles on your car, but more power to you.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #319
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
What are some quotes to change out the oil pumps? Has anyone had one swapped mot covered from warranty? It is almost worth swapping out the cam while your right there.
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #320
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg L1 View Post
What are some quotes to change out the oil pumps? Has anyone had one swapped mot covered from warranty? It is almost worth swapping out the cam while your right there.
Kinda having that idea myself when thinking about porting my stock blower...but it's seeming to snowball like this:

- Since the blower is already off, why not take the heads off and port them?

- While all that is off headers would be super easy to install!

- I have to take the front of the motor apart to get to the oil pump, might as well do a pulley.

- Since the entire engine is torn down to the short block, I'd be silly not to do a cam right?

Next thing you know, I'm in the garage with no pants on, broke, and surrounded by boxes of parts with a $60,000 car torn into a million peices and my dog looking at me funny.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #321
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Yeah my thing is I don't want to wait to see if the oil pump is going to fail. I wish Katech would release an updated better version than the stock.
I hear ya though where does it stop. I already have headers and had to tune it so my warranty is probably toasted anyways. Unless I find a really nice GM mechanic to fix it under warranty. Really headers is a small mod with just a little extra flow.
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #322
Moniker

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post

I wonder because I had that 2018 convertible ZL1 and change the oil 3 times in first 4K miles. I think at 500, then 1500, then I think just before 4k. Never an issue. And it was in the dreaded time frame. I didn't know it then though.
Check out the Corvette forum. The Vettes do have failed oil pumps but so far only the wet sump cars. Trucks and Camaro SS are also having the same issue.
Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote