Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #29
k20attack

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
1. Power all day long. If you leave the nannies on it can cut power at inconvenient times, but that's up to you.

2. I think you'd be crazy to drive it in the snow. You better have the best snow tires on the market.

3. Hidden costs: Tires go real fast. If you track it a couple of times a year you'll be lucky to get 7500 miles out of the original set. Takes like 11 quarts of oil, so there's that. Most people change the diff fluid at 1500 miles so that's another small expense if you do it yourself. Brakes will be costly, but they should last a while. Horrible on gas unless you baby it.

4. Very comfortable car to daily drive. Only issue I have is getting in and out of the car. You can't park close to anyone or you're not getting out. You pretty much have to roll backwards out of the thing to get out as it is. The doors are way too long. You'll want to get a clear bra at least on the front and the side skirts to avoid all the rock chips if you're driving every day.
k20attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #30
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Its hard to compare these cars IMO. One key aspect is track performance, which is what they were both designed for. In that category, both stock, the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE are in another category than the Focus RS. Same good driver, no mods, the ZL1 will beat the RS by 5+ seconds on any track. It truly is a supercar for 1/4 the price, so you have that to look forward to.
Depends on the track.. but for reference at Sebring where I had the fastest laptimes last I checked on focusrs.org...

Focus: 2:35s
My 18 SS 1LE: 2:26s easy, 2:25s are there if I spent more time with it
18 ZL1 1LE: 2:22s in my first day with it at Sebring.

So yeah.. 5 seconds is an understatement on any track that's not super short and technical IMO.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #31
Marcedward_907

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Hopefully this helps out a bit, I’m up here in the PNW, southeast Alaska to be exact.
I own a 2018 ZL1 M6, and I daily it everyday rain, shine, LIGHT snow, if it snows enough to reach the lip then my car would be useless anyway even WITH snow tires. I’ve owned it just shy of 2 years and haven’t had any issues.

1. My car prior to my ZL1 was a 2015 WRX. it was full bolt on and made just north of 300whp which was more than adequate for a daily, but I will agree you really had to wrap It out to really get a feel for the horsepower. With the zl1 it’s got power everywhere and anywhere, like other have stated the tires kind of end up being a downside if they aren’t warmed up. But I’ve since replaced my OEM Goodyear’s with a set of all seasons. It otherwise has not skipped a beat.

2. I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS in 295/30/20 and 305/30/20, no rubbing issues and they grip a whole heck of a lot better cold than the stock Goodyear’s, they have nowhere near the grip the Goodyear’s did warm but for street use they have been nothing but phenomenal. Great tire wear so far as I’ve got about 10k miles on them they look new! They hook well and can actually grip well enough for street, granted they WILL break loose if turn off the nannies and floor it (But isn’t that kind of the point of flooring it?)

3. So far I have just been keeping up with maintenance like oil changes(10 qts and filters gets spendy), tires(one set so far). Honestly at first the gas costs got me, but if you aren’t flooring it all the time it makes decent mileage(I also didn’t buy this car for fuel economy) but as others have said, the typical wear items will eventually need replacement but the car is a performance bargain at the end of the day and still holds as a pretty reliable car to daily. I’m sure later the brakes will go but performance cars and brakes usually mean they wear faster anyways.

Final thoughts; I never would have seen myself driving a zl1 as a daily but honestly it is a smooth driving car in tour mode, stays quiet when you aren’t on it, but can put a smaller on your face 24/7 whenever you’re feeling like getting on it.

Hopefully this helps!

Last edited by Marcedward_907; 07-25-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Marcedward_907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #32
novazl1

Drives: 2017 Ford Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcedward_907 View Post
Hopefully this helps out a bit, I’m up here in the PNW, southeast Alaska to be exact.
I own a 2018 ZL1 M6, and I daily it everyday rain, shine, LIGHT snow, if it snows enough to reach the lip then my car would be useless anyway even WITH snow tires. I’ve owned it just shy of 2 years and haven’t had any issues.

1. My car prior to my ZL1 was a 2015 WRX. it was full bolt on and made just north of 300whp which was more than adequate for a daily, but I will agree you really had to wrap It out to really get a feel for the horsepower. With the zl1 it’s got power everywhere and anywhere, like other have stated the tires kind of end up being a downside if they aren’t warmed up. But I’ve since replaced my OEM Goodyear’s with a set of all seasons. It otherwise has not skipped a beat.

2. I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS in 295/30/20 and 305/30/20, no rubbing issues and they grip a whole heck of a lot better cold than the stock Goodyear’s, they have nowhere near the grip the Goodyear’s did warm but for street use they have been nothing but phenomenal. Great tire wear so far as I’ve got about 10k miles on them they look new! They hook well and can actually grip well enough for street, granted they WILL break loose if turn off the nannies and floor it (But isn’t that kind of the point of flooring it?)

3. So far I have just been keeping up with maintenance like oil changes(10 qts and filters gets spendy), tires(one set so far). Honestly at first the gas costs got me, but if you aren’t flooring it all the time it makes decent mileage(I also didn’t buy this car for fuel economy) but as others have said, the typical wear items will eventually need replacement but the car is a performance bargain at the end of the day and still holds as a pretty reliable car to daily. I’m sure later the brakes will go but performance cars and brakes usually mean they wear faster anyways.

Final thoughts; I never would have seen myself driving a zl1 as a daily but honestly it is a smooth driving car in tour mode, stays quiet when you aren’t on it, but can put a smaller on your face 24/7 whenever you’re feeling like getting on it.

Hopefully this helps!
Thank you! I am in the same boat. Never thought I'd be getting a Camaro but the ZL1 seems to tick all the boxes for much less than the competition.
novazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new car zl1