Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-29-2024, 11:06 AM   #15
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
No I don't think that's the case at all.

Part of the increase in car thefts comes from the overseas black market demand for these stolen cars.

So instead of making a "quick buck", car theives are selling the fully intact cars to a broker who ships them overseas.
Those are the operations that actually do a lucrative business, and it's true.

It's the little guys who want to steal parts to feed a drug habit who typically steal, strip, and dump cars like pictured above.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:06 AM   #16
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
No I don't think that's the case at all.

Part of the increase in car thefts comes from the overseas black market demand for these stolen cars.

So instead of making a "quick buck", car theives are selling the fully intact cars to a broker who ships them overseas.
No, I doubt it. If you search Facebook marketplace it's full of $2k LT1 and LT4 engines and selling Camaro SS without title for $15k.

They're parting these out and selling the parts. For an initial $1k investment of the reprogrammer you can make $5k/night.

Most of the stolen Camaros are eventually recovered missing an engine and everything else that's valuable.
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:08 AM   #17
LancevanceZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Sir, this is not a Range Rover.

GM vehicles have been easy to steal since the beginning of time, but if you think calling Customer Service today about it will change things, by all means, I wish you luck. I would, however, encourage you to ask to speak with a manager.

Truly, I do wish they were more secure, but, we did all buy them with the existing tech.
And yet only the push button start models are stolen these days. It's far more difficult to steal a 5th gen with a physical key compared to a 6th which just needs a tablet with some software. Press a button and you're done.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:13 PM   #18
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancevanceZLE View Post
And yet only the push button start models are stolen these days. It's far more difficult to steal a 5th gen with a physical key compared to a 6th which just needs a tablet with some software. Press a button and you're done.
I hope that's true because I can just buy $20 wheel lock from walmart if they don't have the capability to pick a physical lock.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:14 PM   #19
Evergreen6

And neither push-button or a physical key do anything when they drag the car onto a flatbed.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:26 PM   #20
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
And neither push-button or a physical key do anything when they drag the car onto a flatbed.

It's funny because Camaro thefts are being blamed on teenage 'thugs.' However are those teenagers running the chop shops and/or shipping parts overseas? Are they driving the flatbed trucks too?

Hopefully the chop shops and black market sellers are actually being investigated in addition to the teenagers buying the $1000 (or whatever) locksmith devices to steal the cars.

Its crazy how Camaro thefts are just now becoming a problem despite the car being around for almost a decade.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:34 PM   #21
LancevanceZLE

Quote:
I hope that's true because I can just buy $20 wheel lock from walmart if they don't have the capability to pick a physical lock.
They use a Sawzall to saw through the steering wheel. Steering wheel locks are not the answer.

A $100 OBD lock will serve you much better.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:35 PM   #22
LancevanceZLE

Quote:
Every car can be stolen with a flatbed, and yet the majority of theft does not happen with a flatbed. These slippery slope defeatist arguments are useless.

You cannot stop 100% of theft, but you can make it more difficult so they move on to some other make/model and leave us alone.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:37 PM   #23
LancevanceZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
It's funny because Camaro thefts are being blamed on teenage 'thugs.' However are those teenagers running the chop shops and/or shipping parts overseas? Are they driving the flatbed trucks too?

Hopefully the chop shops and black market sellers are actually being investigated in addition to the teenagers buying the $1000 (or whatever) locksmith devices to steal the cars.

Its crazy how Camaro thefts are just now becoming a problem despite the car being around for almost a decade.
It is conjecture, but supposedly one thief was a teenager/20-something who ran the operation out of his dad's body shop. He's still not been arrested despite posting a dozen LT1 engines on Facebook marketplace for $2k/each.

We've also seen confirmed videos of stolen Camaros at takeovers.

When theft becomes so low skill and low risk that all you need is a tablet and a rock to smash the window a, the barrier to entry is low. It is likely a combination of young kids and "professional" gangs. It literally takes 5 minutes to steal one.

The difference with Kia/Hyundai is that those parts weren't as valuable, but you can easily sell an LT1, the tremec transmission, the brakes and the wheels. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them will end up being used for engine swaps and such.

If you're buying parts on Facebook marketplace there is a relatively high chance they were stolen.

Last edited by LancevanceZLE; 02-29-2024 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:52 PM   #24
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancevanceZLE View Post
Every car can be stolen with a flatbed, and yet the majority of theft does not happen with a flatbed. These slippery slope defeatist arguments are useless.

You cannot stop 100% of theft, but you can make it more difficult so they move on to some other make/model and leave us alone.
Not slippery slope or defeatist. Like you, I believe if there's a will, there's a way. The argument about a 5th gen having a key making it harder to steal is a little silly, though. Fewer of them might get stolen these days simply because the 5th gen hasn't been made in 8 years...

I've never had a car stolen or attempted to be stolen despite having owned and driven Camaros for the last 26 years around urban areas. Luck? Or behavior?
Old 02-29-2024, 12:56 PM   #25
LancevanceZLE

Quote:
Not slippery slope or defeatist. Like you, I believe if there's a will, there's a way. The argument about a 5th gen having a key making it harder to steal is a little silly, though. Fewer of them might get stolen these days simply because the 5th gen hasn't been made in 8 years...

I've never had a car stolen or attempted to be stolen despite having owned and driven Camaros for the last 26 years around urban areas. Luck? Or behavior?
I've never heard of a car being stolen with a flatbed. It simply doesn't happen often.

The barrier to entry matters a lot. Why did people steal Kias with a USB stick but not before then with a flatbed?

The 1200% increase in theft is not driven by flatbed thieves lol. It's the software vulnerability. Fix that issue and theft will drop again.

Either way, it'll affect you too. At some point insurance will simply drop Camaro comprehensive coverage or make it unaffordable, just like certain Kias and Hyundais nationwide. Your individual behavior doesn't matter.

It's high time you folks realize we're all in this together.

The only way it'll be solved is if we stick together and all pressure Chevrolet to do something.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:27 PM   #26
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Keep voting Democrat Cali peeps. Newsom isn't able to sell your freedom unless you keep him in charge.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:30 PM   #27
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
...at least they have to bring a flatbed, then.

Ah, you're right, shrug it off, accept fate, do nothing.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:31 PM   #28
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
...at least they have to bring a flatbed, then.

Ah, you're right, shrug it off, accept fate, do nothing.
No, that's not what I said. Keep your own car safe, I'll do mine. How's that?