Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #57
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
In other words, since it is connected to the microphone, they (GM or hackers) could technically remotely monitor anything you might say in your car.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #58
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
In other words, since it is connected to the microphone, they (GM or hackers) could technically remotely monitor anything you might say in your car.
Yes, it’s possible.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:36 PM   #59
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
Noticed a few additional things today while driving, the Navigation on the IO6 no longer works (no GPS signal) and as such the speed limit signs that show up on the HUD and IC are inaccurate as the cars nav system might have you on the highway while your in a residential area telling you the speed limit is 70.
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #60
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
Noticed a few additional things today while driving, the Navigation on the IO6 no longer works (no GPS signal) and as such the speed limit signs that show up on the HUD and IC are inaccurate as the cars nav system might have you on the highway while your in a residential area telling you the speed limit is 70.
Ok, didn’t know that. I don’t have factory Navi, I just use Apple CarPlay
Old 08-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #61
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The Wi-Fi will still be active, but it will not have any data to broadcast. It will be a dead signal, as there is no data being received through OnStar since the OnStar receiver/transmitter is removed. Sort of like a TV station that's dead air but the transmitter amplifier is still running. It's signal is still broadcast but there's nothing on it.

Yes, the capability for General Motors OnStar offices to monitor every facet of your vehicle operations, even if you opt out and cancel your subscription, is always there. As long as there's power being applied to the transceiver radio board, it can broadcast and receive data.

Now, technically, as of right now, GM does not log information other than what is used with active communications (when you send/receive a call, airbag deployment, theft tracking, remote unlocking). But, it is possible for them to do so.

In the future, it will certainly become more intrusive. GM plans to utilize OnStar for advertising revenue. They will start tracking your favorite grocery store, gas station, restaurants and other things using the GPS and seeing how many times you park near the same establishments and determining patterns. Then you'll start seeing advertisements for things like 20% off an appetizer at your favorite restaurant and 10% off gas pop up on your display screen.

In my opinion, OnStar should be completely optional. The entire system, electronics, antenna, operation, should be completely optional on every car, even a fully loaded $105,000 CTS V-Sport. Because there are people who might like it, but there are those who are getting sick of the remote intrusion into our lives. Driving a car should not be one of them. Simply opting out and not paying for the subscription is not good enough. Our cars have become rolling communications dataports.
I'm guessing you don't have a cell phone then because it has everything onstar has and more.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #62
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
I'm guessing you don't have a cell phone then because it has everything onstar has and more.
There’s a huge difference between carrying a cell phone in your pocket and driving a car.

I’m going to guess you understand that and are just being argumentative.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #63
chris227

Quote:
There’s a huge difference between carrying a cell phone in your pocket and driving a car.

I’m going to guess you understand that and are just being argumentative.
Argumentative? For asking you a question when you said this..
Quote:
In the future, it will certainly become more intrusive. GM plans to utilize OnStar for advertising revenue. They will start tracking your favorite grocery store, gas station, restaurants and other things using the GPS and seeing how many times you park near the same establishments and determining patterns. Then you'll start seeing advertisements for things like 20% off an appetizer at your favorite restaurant and 10% off gas pop up on your display screen.

It's the same thing your phone does NOW. and it tracks everything you do from shopping to sitting on the crapper.
Do you not carry your phone in your car?
You sound defensive to just straight out call me argumentative.
I apologize for not agreeing with you but to call me argumentative is just ignoring the ignorance of you statement.
You will never get random ads on your info screen,the legal liability is to great.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #64
mbnwa

Quote:
Ok, didn’t know that. I don’t have factory Navi, I just use Apple CarPlay
I just placed an order for the following, if this works as expected one could leave the modem in the Onstar module and block the cellular signal while passing the GPS signal, I should have the parts in the next 10-15 days (from China)

This would address the following while blocking all cellular signals from the OnStar module:
CAL being displayed on the IC
IO6 Navi would get the GPS data
HUD and IC would display speed limit signs again based on GPS location

2X Fakra Z Female to SMA Male
2X Fakra Z Male to SMA Male
2X 1575 MHz GPS L1 Bandpass Filter (Attenuation outside of L1 GPS band is greater than 40 dB)
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
Old 08-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #65
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
Argumentative? For asking you a question when you said this..

It's the same thing your phone does NOW. and it tracks everything you do from shopping to sitting on the crapper.
Do you not carry your phone in your car?
You sound defensive to just straight out call me argumentative.
I apologize for not agreeing with you but to call me argumentative is just ignoring the ignorance of you statement.
You will never get random ads on your info screen,the legal liability is to great.
First off it was in the news GM is already working on it. Future versions of OnStar will have it. Second a car is a completely different thing from a phone. I can’t believe people can’t see the difference. Your phone isn’t linked to the exact make/model/color/trim/vin/address/registration/title of your car. While the GPS tracking of your phone knows your location, GM’s OnStar people would not get notification of that unless you link it.

GM doesn’t need to know what radio stations I listen to or where I park my car. Let alone my driving habits. Yes there’s liability issues if they did but there’s already been one proven hack into GM’s OnStar system remotely where someone was able to take control of vital vehicle operations.

If someone hacks my phone the worst they get are my programmed phone numbers. And judging by how the govt and Tim Cook had a hard fought court battle to get an Apple engineer to unlock the phone of a terrorist, it’s obvious Apple’s security is far superior to GM’s.

I wouldn’t trust OnStar to call the Lone Ranger.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #66
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Hah, is someone actually comparing exploiting a system in a vehicle that's been shown to be hacked before and covered up and has shown that when such hacks occur, gaining physical control over the vehicle is completely possible to running malware on a cell phone and stealing your passwords?

Much less the monetization issues. Just because you agree to let company A do things, doesn't mean you should be ok letting company B do the same things. Nor should you be ok with just extending something you are doing to additional aspects of your life just because you're ok with doing them sometimes.

So cut it out with the BS pseudo-defense here.

There's only one reason you would want onstar, and that's if you want to use the services they provide and accept the inherent risks associated with getting those services. For anyone else, having the system is a liability that we have no simple way of eliminating other than diving into the module or fuse box and physically disabling it and i'm sure GM is hard at work at making that less and less of an option.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:36 AM   #67
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Ive gone to mexico for over a yr no insurance raise it actually went down. I dont get thebpoint of this. I never even subscribed to onstar
Old 08-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #68
chris227

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Hah, is someone actually comparing exploiting a system in a vehicle that's been shown to be hacked before and covered up and has shown that when such hacks occur, gaining physical control over the vehicle is completely possible to running malware on a cell phone and stealing your passwords?

Much less the monetization issues. Just because you agree to let company A do things, doesn't mean you should be ok letting company B do the same things. Nor should you be ok with just extending something you are doing to additional aspects of your life just because you're ok with doing them sometimes.

So cut it out with the BS pseudo-defense here.

There's only one reason you would want onstar, and that's if you want to use the services they provide and accept the inherent risks associated with getting those services. For anyone else, having the system is a liability that we have no simple way of eliminating other than diving into the module or fuse box and physically disabling it and i'm sure GM is hard at work at making that less and less of an option.
The hacking of Onstar is and will always be a possibility. Not denying that.
But to dismiss the hacking of a phone as nothing more then getting some malware and passwords and act as if that's no big deal is dumb.
No real world police reports of a Onstar car actually being hacked and stolen or whatever has even happened.
Yet millions have had google and apple servers hacked and data stolen. Thousands of people have had their lives ruined from info from their phones stolen.
I had 30 thousand from a savings account stolen and took 2 years to recover from that identity theft. Destroyed my credit for a short period. Being "Tinhat" paranoid over a stupid car service, Yet your more vulnerable to google and apple everyday using phones, Pc and tablets. Which everyone takes into their cars as well. Makes no sense.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #69
mbnwa

My two cents on this topic is, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. The great thing about being individuals is that we can make our own decisions on what we want to do with our own property, regardless of what anyone else thinks. It really comes down to personal choice and some are just fine with keeping OnStar embedded in their vehicle and some would prefer to be able to disable the technology.

The issue today seems to be that people are willing to give up privacy and freedoms for the comfort of technology and governance. I don't think this topic has really anything to do with being "Tinhat" paranoid, just some people not willing to settle on our data being collected and disseminated by corporations to build a business model on our habits. If some people get the feeling of additional safety from removing the OnStar module to avoid the remote possibility of the hacking situation, who are we to say they are right or wrong?

However in terms of mobile hacking, iCloud, Google, etc generally speaking the issue here is the use of weak or recycled passwords and not utilizing 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) to ensure your account security. While mobile hacking is an issue you have more control over it vs something that is integrated into your vehicle and the authorized owner does not have an option to completely disable. @Chris227 I'm not disagreeing with you, however, just stating that to each his own; in the end it's all about what the individual wants to do to satisfy his or her own level of comfort.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #70
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
I just placed an order for the following, if this works as expected one could leave the modem in the Onstar module and block the cellular signal while passing the GPS signal, I should have the parts in the next 10-15 days (from China)

This would address the following while blocking all cellular signals from the OnStar module:
CAL being displayed on the IC
IO6 Navi would get the GPS data
HUD and IC would display speed limit signs again based on GPS location

2X Fakra Z Female to SMA Male
2X Fakra Z Male to SMA Male
2X 1575 MHz GPS L1 Bandpass Filter (Attenuation outside of L1 GPS band is greater than 40 dB)

This is a great idea. If they work as expected can you post the vendor link for the 575 MHz GPS L1 Bandpass Filters?
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote