Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #141
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight View Post
Roof is same height as stock. Go into photoshop and overlay the original photo and mine to see. Windows are same height as gen 1-4. All of which I like better than 5th and 6th gens.

Granted it's just a quick photoshop and could use some working, specifically the front fender/hood isn't to my liking. Which I think is what makes the roof line look bigger than intended. A hood like the ZL1 or similar might help. Never was a fan of flat hoods.

Edit:
Super quick update I made to it to help with the fender/hood issues I didn't like.

Here's a gif to show the differences. Bloated chop top to more slender proportions.
Don't quit your day job....Unless, its car design.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #142
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
I do wish the hood had a taller cowl. Its one of my favorite parts on the fifth gen. Gives you that muscle car vibe from the drivers view. Maybe it's taller than it looks in person?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #143

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I kind of saw this in his PS
I'm somewhat seeing a Viper profile...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #144
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I'm somewhat seeing a Viper profile...
Well a viper has the Lightning McQueen profile too if you think about it.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #145

This might cause some "griping"...lol..

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409944
Old 05-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #146
Insight

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmeltoN91 View Post
I think GM has done a good job at keeping the Camaro a Camaro and didn't completely botch the lines known from a Camaro.
Thanks for the compliment. I agree with you, going from the 5th gen to the 6th gen, GM did a good job. However I disagree with the above statement. The 6th gen is highly influenced by the 5th gen and I dont consider the 5th gen the best representation of a Camaro. I own a 3rd and 4th gen, so when I hear "Camaro" I think Fbody. The dimensions/proportions of the 5th and 6th gens seem wrong to me. The lines are fine; I just dont love the stubby nose, the HUGE wall of a rear end, the tall fenders/doors/quarters and the rat rod windows.

I like the long, slender body and the visibilty of the Fbodies. Having the windows down is extremely important to me, and it seems like the new Camaro's windows are catered to the modern person who likes to be secluded, windows up and blasting the A/C even in beautiful weather.

I can respect others opinions, and mine seems to be an unpopular one haha. But I dont mind sharing and being the odd man out :P
Insight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #147
F-body fan

Drives: 1995 Firebird Formula Convertible
I own a fourth-gen Firebird Formula convertible (which I know has its own design issues but is a hell-of-a-lot of 150 mph fun for $4,900). More importantly, I grew up with first-gen Camaros. My big brother had been able to obtain a bank loan and he purchased a brand new Bolero Red 1967 Rally Sport convertible with white custom interior and nose band (as a copy boy for a newspaper -- try buying one as a young working-class person now), and I still remember -- as a seven-year-old -- the back of the Chevy dealer being FILLED with 1967 and the arriving 1968s most in a sea of reds. I later bought my own first-gen convertible. Anyway, I am first offended by the cheesiness of the PDF attached elsewhere in saying that the "full-width grille and headlights" are a tradition since 1967. The first-gen cars were super clean and BALANCED designs, but so were the second-gens, with their separate grilles and light pods --- very European GT-like, and every Camaro through the 4th kept a separate grille.

I DID NOT LIKE the 5th-gens after thirty-five years of fandom, since to me they were gross a caricature of early Camaros, but somehow that cartoonish thing turned-on new young buyers and kept many in the old-school. In fact, it's taken a lot for me to get to the point where I would say this, but it is now 2005-2009 Mustangs that do it for me -- the first Fords ever for this lifetime family Chevy guy. Clean, balanced, ingeniously retro-modern, and every time I still see one --- even out the corner of my eye --- my right-brain says "1967-1968" -- the best era for classic Mustangs, IMHO. AND THEY (still) WEIGH LESS!

Now the irony is, I'm actually starting to like the 5th-Gen Camaros more... because the 6th-gen has this odd, pulled-high-and-back rear quarter window and flat rear fastback glass that looks more 1972 Maverick than Camaro.

As for the front? Its like Ford and Chevy's real shoot-out as to see who could design the ugliest nose for their newest cars... and I've yet to say which is worst. The Mustang is an ugly-bloated Fusion (as you've heard many times), but at least under its too-high hood it has a separate grille and lights to go with its Aston Martin styling. The Camaro, though, looks like the same designers who threw together the odd Impala/Malibu noses simply carried them over to Camaro... and I'm sure that was deemed an idea that would work, but to me it was just the finishing touch to a squared car that looks more sedan-derived than the Mustang (or Challenger). In fact, even the aging Challenger is looking better to me.

As for the sides, well, we simply have been staring at that same tuck-in-with-flared fenders with rear shoulder for five years now... and now we see the same thing on the new Mustang, but a bit more bloated.

One final thing, I am an artist and designer and have spent a lot of time at the Art Center College taking classes and painting, and have watched future student concepts come and go over the past twenty years. I study composition, balance, and proportion. I really believe that American cars always sold on AMERICAN design -- aggressive but well-proportioned. I DO appreciate advanced styling ideas, from the old, curvy Stingray III and Chrysler 300 concepts of the early '90s, to the newest, folded, Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, and Lexus concepts that have been proposed or even introduced over the past year or two.

But I think if you are going to abandon fifty years of tradition for an "international" appearance or a family sedan lineage, you'd better be ready to unveil a truly winning design. For me, this 6th-gen is simply not it.

... and thanks for a place to vent all these opinions (and for a site so full of info -- just seeing the pdf is better than all the media coverage thus far.)

Last edited by F-body fan; 05-25-2015 at 08:58 PM.
F-body fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #148
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I agree with you, going from the 5th gen to the 6th gen, GM did a good job. However I disagree with the above statement. The 6th gen is highly influenced by the 5th gen and I dont consider the 5th gen the best representation of a Camaro. I own a 3rd and 4th gen, so when I hear "Camaro" I think Fbody. The dimensions/proportions of the 5th and 6th gens seem wrong to me. The lines are fine; I just dont love the stubby nose, the HUGE wall of a rear end, the tall fenders/doors/quarters and the rat rod windows.

I like the long, slender body and the visibilty of the Fbodies. Having the windows down is extremely important to me, and it seems like the new Camaro's windows are catered to the modern person who likes to be secluded, windows up and blasting the A/C even in beautiful weather.

I can respect others opinions, and mine seems to be an unpopular one haha. But I dont mind sharing and being the odd man out :P
1st through 4th gens are all F-bodies.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #149
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-body fan View Post
I own a fourth-gen Firebird Formula convertible (which I know has its own design issues but is a hell-of-a-lot of 150 mph fun for $4,900). More importantly, I grew up with first-gen Camaros. My big brother had been able to obtain a bank loan and he purchased a brand new Bolero Red 1967 Rally Sport convertible with white custom interior and nose band (as a copy boy for a newspaper -- try buying one as a young working-class person now), and I still remember -- as a seven-year-old -- the back of the Chevy dealer being FILLED with 1967 and the arriving 1968s most in a sea of reds. I later bought my own first-gen convertible. Anyway, I am first offended by the cheesiness of the PDF attached elsewhere in saying that the "full-width grille and headlights" are a tradition since 1967. The first-gen cars were super clean and BALANCED designs, but so were the second-gens, with their separate grilles and light pods --- very European GT-like, and every Camaro through the 4th kept a separate grille.

I DID NOT LIKE the 5th-gens after thirty-five years of fandom, since to me they were gross a caricature of early Camaros, but somehow that cartoonish thing turned-on new young buyers and kept many in the old-school. In fact, it's taken a lot for me to get to the point where I would say this, but it is now 2005-2009 Mustangs that do it for me -- the first Fords ever for this lifetime family Chevy guy. Clean, balanced, ingeniously retro-modern, and every time I still see one --- even out the corner of my eye --- my right-brain says "1967-1968" -- the best era for classic Mustangs, IMHO. AND THEY (still) WEIGH LESS!

Now the irony is, I'm actually starting to like the 5th-Gen Camaros more... because the 6th-gen has this odd, pulled-high-and-back rear quarter window and flat rear fastback glass that looks more 1972 Maverick than Camaro.

As for the front? Its like Ford and Chevy's real shoot-out as to see who could design the ugliest nose for their newest cars... and I've yet to say which is worst. The Mustang is an ugly-bloated Fusion (as you've heard many times), but at least under its too-high hood it has a separate grille and lights to go with its Aston Martin styling. The Camaro, though, looks like the same designers who threw together the odd Impala/Malibu noses simply carried them over to Camaro... and I'm sure that was deemed an idea that would work, but to me it was just the finishing touch to a squared car that looks more sedan-derived than the Mustang (or Challenger). In fact, even the aging Challenger is looking better to me.

As for the sides, well, we simply have been staring at that same tuck-in-with-flared fenders with rear shoulder for five years now... and now we see the same thing on the new Mustang, but a bit more bloated.

One final thing, I am an artist and designer and have spent a lot of time at the Art Center College taking classes and painting, and have watched future student concepts come and go over the past twenty years. I study composition, balance, and proportion. I really believe that American cars always sold on AMERICAN design -- aggressive but well-proportioned. I DO appreciate advanced styling ideas, from the old, curvy Stingray III and Chrysler 300 concepts of the early '90s, to the newest, folded, Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, and Lexus concepts that have been proposed or even introduced over the past year or two.

But I think if you are going to abandon fifty years of tradition for an "international" appearance or a family sedan lineage, you'd better be ready to unveil a truly winning design. For me, this 6th-gen is simply not it.

... and thanks for a place to vent all these opinions (and for a site so full of info -- just seeing the pdf is better than all the media coverage thus far.)

Hey I've got one of those 72 Mavericks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #150

Nice post, but this is a contradiction it seems...

First,

" The first-gen cars were super clean and BALANCED designs, but so were the second-gens, with their separate grilles and light pods --- very European GT-like, and every Camaro through the 4th kept a separate grille. "

Then,

"I really believe that American cars always sold on AMERICAN design -- aggressive but well-proportioned. I DO appreciate advanced styling ideas, from the old, curvy Stingray III and Chrysler 300 concepts of the early '90s, to the newest, folded, Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, and Lexus concepts that have been proposed or even introduced over the past year or two."

No biggie, just that there are no absolutes....
Old 05-29-2015, 05:57 AM   #151
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

GREAT handling & weight improvements on the '16 Camaro, probably we will expect a faster SS Camaro.
About the looks, side, top & front look great, but the RS lower front grill looks better than the SS. Is that also optional on the SS? Will miss the hood prior Camaros muscle car hump. The rear of the car looks plain, rear SS wing spoiler looks out of place not agressive looking. Why a bigger shark roof antenna?
Interior of the car looks great, except for those funny looking big commercial plane cab round air vents, and the ones on the lower center console, look out of place.
The red seats look great, I wonder how good is their bolstering and lumbar support. As good as the Stingray's? Too bad that the rear space now is limited. On the weekends like many others I like to ride with my family, seams that with this new car, it will not be possible.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #152
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-body fan View Post

That's my gripe I look at the new car and it look's like a foreign car. More euro style, than American style.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #153
TacZ28

Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28, NBM, M6
The rear still needs to grow on me. What I do not like is the fact that the emergency brake is electronic. I like electronics (within reason) and I prefer to have a mechanical emergency brake. I guess my biggest gripe as was mentioned in an earlier post is the fact that one of these 6th Gens is not in my garage.
TacZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #154
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
my only gripe was the badge placement...so im glad they fixed that and placed it back on the trunk lid...needless to say...the ease of removing them...ill probably have the bodyshop get em off before final detail....

i got the OK from the wife to purchase...i just need to decide what i want...2LT 6spd or 1SS 6spd...probably the 2LT since i wont be driving it much and its not worth the extra insurance payment for the 8 if the car sits 5 days a week

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote