Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Exclamation Almost Wrecked - Don't Drive On Summer Tires in Winter!

If there are any of you out there that (like me) figured they could "get by" this winter without getting all-weather tires on your Camaro - let this be your warning.

I took my chances in 20 degree weather today and took the car out of the garage on the stock tires. On the highway, I went to make a simple lane change with light acceleration and completely lost traction - car went sideways one way, then the other before I got it under control. Fortunately no one was in the far left lane or I would have been in a massive wreck.

And yes I understand it this is my fault, lesson learned.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
italiano687

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 1lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post
If there are any of you out there that (like me) figured they could "get by" this winter without getting all-weather tires on your Camaro - let this be your warning.

I took my chances in 20 degree weather today and took the car out of the garage on the stock tires. On the highway, I went to make a simple lane change with light acceleration and completely lost traction - car went sideways one way, then the other before I got it under control. Fortunately no one was in the far left lane or I would have been in a massive wreck.

Yeah, it’s not worth it. Decent set of 20 inch tires for our rides cost about $900 with installation... that’s a lot cheaper than body work and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
italiano687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Fast Dalmation

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
I would invest in set of dedicated winter snow/ice tires like our parents did years ago. If your going to have a set of summer performance tires, no reason to get all weather. Winter snow tires make a huge difference when its cold out with snow and ice then all weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post

Fast Dalmation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Dalmation View Post
I would invest in set of dedicated winter snow/ice tires like our parents did years ago. If your going to have a set of summer performance tires, no reason to get all weather. Winter snow tires make a huge difference when its cold out with snow and ice then all weather.

OP, glad you're okay - and thanks for sharing the insight. I think there are more people than will admit it that are doing exactly what you did.....
Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Dalmation View Post
I would invest in set of dedicated winter snow/ice tires like our parents did years ago. If you're going to have a set of summer performance tires, no reason to get all weather. Winter snow tires make a huge difference when it's cold out with snow and ice than all weather.
I live in Cape May County NJ. My all-season General AS-05's have given me no issues in single digit temps and I have driven them in light snow. I think snow tires for a Camaro in jersey would be overkill. If the snow is deep, you are going to need another vehicle or risk wrecking your spoiler.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
This is a very good tip. Remember, the summer tires are not only unusable in snow/ice conditions, but even if your streets are perfectly dry, they will begin to lose their grip at about 45 degrees. In the extreme cold much of the country has been experiencing recently, the rubber becomes hard as a rock and has zero traction on even completely dry pavement.

It's even possible to damage the tires in this weather. I have my summer tires in my basement. At these temps the rubber could actually crack or split. Be advised, as GM has already issued an advisory to Cadillac dealers with customers coming in with cracked rubber on their V-Series, only to find out GM will not warranty them.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Almost Wrecked - Don't Drive On Summer Tires in Winter!

Yeah very dicey situation.

When I picked mine up from Iowa driving back to D.C., I planned the route and gave myself several days to make it back just in case weather took a turn for the worst in the Midwest. When the sun began to set for the day, it was time for me to check in for the night.

Snow tires may not be the best fit for your climate. If it rarely snows then snow tires may be worse for your situation than all season tires. Depending on where you live, a set of all season, or snow, rubber and wheels will suffice until the spring rolls around.

When I lived in PA, I had a dedicated set of Blizzaks and steel wheels. Now in Maryland, a decent set of all season rubber does the trick with -1” wheels.

Bagged and tagged the summer set for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I have my summer tires in my basement. At these temps the rubber could actually crack or split.
My summer tires are on a rack in the garage attached to an interior wall. I have a thermometer on the garage exterior wall. Like fastball says, you gotta watch the temps. My garage hit a low of 30 last week at the "cold" end of the garage (garage walls and doors are insulated, which helps a lot).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
As a person who got through Michigan winter with a C6 on summer tires, it’s safe to think of your car as a sled with no brakes if you decide to ride on wide UHP tires.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
This is a very good tip. Remember, the summer tires are not only unusable in snow/ice conditions, but even if your streets are perfectly dry, they will begin to lose their grip at about 45 degrees. In the extreme cold much of the country has been experiencing recently, the rubber becomes hard as a rock and has zero traction on even completely dry pavement.

It's even possible to damage the tires in this weather. I have my summer tires in my basement. At these temps the rubber could actually crack or split. Be advised, as GM has already issued an advisory to Cadillac dealers with customers coming in with cracked rubber on their V-Series, only to find out GM will not warranty them.
The same can be said of motorcycle tires. I tell people who ride all the time about this (I even wrote an article about it). Temps matter with compound tires. Glad you are ok OP. Very good safety advisory.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Get a "WEATHER BEATER". I put my Camaro away and drive my 07 (39,000 miles) Silverado 4X4. Hell, I see a small accident is close to a "TOTAL" on these cars. Not to mention the "SALT" damage up here...Just a thought. Good to hear you didn't lose it.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I live in Georgia and the first thing I did was ditch the factory wheels and run flats. Bought aftermarket wheels and all season tires. No regrets.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
A few weeks ago I decided to go the dedicated winter wheel/tire combo on my 2015 Malibu DD.

Bought the tire/wheel combo from TireRack, chose the options to have them install the TPMS, balance, etc.

When they arrived, I took them over to my local Chevy dealer to have them installed having them then put the stock tires/wheels back in the car for me to take home.

Dealer charged me a whole $20 to change them all over !!!

I had them do it this time since it was so cold here. Heck for $20, I'd have them change them in the middle of the summer !!
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #14
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
This is why I had the dealer swap my run flats for Goodrich Comp T/A A/S at delivery. I live in Michigan and we have snowy roads and low temps 9 months of the year.

The Comp T/A's are not good in the snow btw.....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote