Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-27-2021, 06:02 PM   #15
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Fwiw, my lap times don’t change much from new to 80% gone.
Same. I think they actually get a bit faster as they wear due to less void area. Mine have never heat cycled out after consuming multiple sets with 2017 date codes.

Visually check the tread on each tire after each session and stop if you start to see cords. I have driven home over 350 miles on the highway on a tire that started to cord towards the end of a weekend because I caught it early. Also rotate fronts side to side during the event especially if there are any high speed corners to reduce the chance of cording the outside edge of one front tire early. Your chance of this is probably greater at -2 camber than max camber but it depends on the track. It is best to bring a spare set of tires in case it rains if there is a chance you might have to drive home on less than 3/32" tread depth.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #16
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Same. I think they actually get a bit faster as they wear due to less void area. Mine have never heat cycled out after consuming multiple sets with 2017 date codes.

Visually check the tread on each tire after each session and stop if you start to see cords. I have driven home over 350 miles on the highway on a tire that started to cord towards the end of a weekend because I caught it early. Also rotate fronts side to side during the event especially if there are any high speed corners to reduce the chance of cording the outside edge of one front tire early. Your chance of this is probably greater at -2 camber than max camber but it depends on the track. It is best to bring a spare set of tires in case it rains if there is a chance you might have to drive home on less than 3/32" tread depth.
Very good advice. I have also driven home on corded tires, about 130 miles.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #17
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Driven home on corded tires, even had the tires flipped on the rims to finish out a HPDE weekend once they started (not horrible as it just started to show and all wear was occurring on the inside). Once I went to -2.7 and zero front toe wear has been super even across the tire.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #18
TheRealJA105

Yeah I actually wanted to swap left/right wheels for the afternoon sessions of those tires I put the pic up of, but the "safety stewards" for the HPDE group I was running with didn't want me going back out on them. That's why that set wasn't completely corded.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #19
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
you should be good krops, just make sure don't go too hard the first session in the morning. I went out first session in december on those tires at 37 degrees and it sucked. These tires are worth every penny for tracking tho.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #20
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol i changed them out already selling old ones to my buddy for same amount i paid to install them
Old 05-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #21
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol i changed them out already selling old ones to my buddy for same amount i paid to install them
In other words you gave them away

I will chime in also, albeit many have already said the obvious:

1. Those tires do not cycle out
2. The tires in the pix look only slightly used and the rears look excellent
3. Dial more camber in F to get even wear across, avoid cording on the outside and save money!

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:57 PM   #22
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by weemus View Post
Driven home on corded tires, even had the tires flipped on the rims to finish out a HPDE weekend once they started (not horrible as it just started to show and all wear was occurring on the inside). Once I went to -2.7 and zero front toe wear has been super even across the tire.
before i had my track alignment i had cords just showing and went out for another session... do not advise. i took it somewhat easy but noticed some tire shreds came off and whipped around and took off some paint from the edge of the fender.

add "paint damage" to the list of reasons to not drive on corded tires.

have 4 days on my ~-2.7 alignment and the seem to be doing much better as well.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #23
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
In other words you gave them away

I will chime in also, albeit many have already said the obvious:

1. Those tires do not cycle out
2. The tires in the pix look only slightly used and the rears look excellent
3. Dial more camber in F to get even wear across, avoid cording on the outside and save money!

Cheers!
Yep his buddy stole them because he didn't listen to us
Old 05-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #24
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Confidence is priceless. If he wasn't feeling it, then moving the tires is a good idea.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #25
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
1 its a competition day

2 i got 6 slighty used ones for 600$

3 hes paying me for very used tires the same amount i paid to get them installed

back off !! haha na i dont care i just want to go fast

spl parts kit on tomorrow

tires last saturday

pads and race alignement this saturday

race sunday!

gonna aim for -3 front -2 rear any advice on toe?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #26
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
before i had my track alignment i had cords just showing and went out for another session... do not advise. i took it somewhat easy but noticed some tire shreds came off and whipped around and took off some paint from the edge of the fender.

add "paint damage" to the list of reasons to not drive on corded tires.

have 4 days on my ~-2.7 alignment and the seem to be doing much better as well.
That is unfortunate. At least it didn't blow out and cause you to crash the car! I agree it is definitely not advisable to do another session after a tire starts to show cords...not worth the risk.

But it is probably fine to drive home on a slightly corded tire if it is just straight line highway driving without high g cornering if it is not going to rain.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #27
Quebster

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10
Do y'all get what seems like "excessive" wear on the very inner edge of the 3R's? My buddy's ZLE and mine both seem to do that on the 3R's. The tires only last us 3 track days if we're lucky before the inner edge starts to cord. But we are sending it, for what it's worth.

We both have track alignments, I think as close to -3* camber as possible, but can't remember what toe is set to. Toe isn't set aggressively because I drive the car on the street to/from the track.

I was under the impression that the inner edge cording on the 3Rs is pretty common/normal after 2-3 track days of full send. Let's say 4-5 sessions at 15-20 minute each in a track day in my case.

Thoughts?
Quebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #28
cdrptrks

There's some discussion about inside edge cording being common in this thread. You can flip the SC3Rs on the rim but it is not a good idea in your case with driving to/from the track (unless you have a separate set of street wheels/tires, which do fit into the Camaro if you want to go that route) because you would almost be driving on slicks with flipped SC3Rs which could end very badly in a pop-up rain shower.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=575321&page=2