Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
so_heaven

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6M
Question Whats the difference between all these ebay headers?

I've heard good things about speed engineering, even Josh from Starkweather Performance recommended them as well as a few other people. The others look identical, does anyone have experience with them?

Speed Engineering

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-Ca...53.m1438.l2649

DPT Motorsports

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-10-CAMAR...xWQUuq&vxp=mtr

DNA Motoring

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-LO...53.m1438.l2649

Speed Daddy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-TUBE-ST....c100005.m1851
so_heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Speed Engineering might be the lowest you'll want to spend on headers. At least they have been proven. The other cheap headers might lack somewhere in quality or even metal thickness.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Welds. I have seen up close the DNA and speed daddy headers. Welds are garbage.
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Often its cheap for the wrong reasons almost every time.

That said, agree with others about welds, thickness, metal type etc. Par for par, with headers there's no real difference in the power you're going to get going from one to another. But quality is what you want for it to last.

Good research will eventually bring you to a good reason why you don't want to go cheap.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
KerseySS
Joey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 Cyber Grey
I've been using the coated pace setter headers that run around $400. They have heald up well over many years. I have no experience with the ones you listed.
https://www.amazon.com/PaceSetter-72.../dp/B003X6EGPI

2011 Cyber Grey L99 SS/RS
Pray Perfomance ported TB
LT Headers no CATS-Magnaflow 16582 Axle Back
RoboFab intake-Dyno Steve tune
ZL1 Rocker Panels-SLP Splitter
Lowered on Phastek springs
RoboFab intake-Dyno Steve tune
ZL1 Rocker Panels-SLP Splitter
Lowered on Phastek springs
Pray Performance ported TB
KerseySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
When dealing with any kind of piping, quality costs money. That's not to say a set of headers from eBay will instantly fail or restrict airflow, but the vendors who sell headers on Camaro5 all sell respectable products that are built with consistency and quality.

As someone who deals with piping regularly, I can tell you how obvious it is when you put a good pipe by a bad pipe, and when you start talking about welds, flow, and materials, there's going to be a profound difference. The risks of choosing the cheap options include premature failure of the welds, improper fitment, poor airflow resulting in poor performance, premature failure of the pipe wall, and lack of backing by the manufacturer. They could last for years or last for minutes. It's a gamble.

With a company that has a reputation to uphold, you're dealing with good parts. I ordered my parts from RDP, so if dynosteve sells me something, it's got to live up to his standards. He's not special either. There are a ton of vendors just like him on here that won't sell you garbage, and that's why none of them carry parts that fail to meet basic standards. Talk to any Camaro5 vendor and find me someone who would eagerly sell you those headers over the cheapest ones they have in the warehouse.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by so_heaven View Post
I've heard good things about speed engineering, even Josh from Starkweather Performance recommended them as well as a few other people. The others look identical, does anyone have experience with them?

Speed Engineering

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-Ca...53.m1438.l2649

DPT Motorsports

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-10-CAMAR...xWQUuq&vxp=mtr

DNA Motoring

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-LO...53.m1438.l2649

Speed Daddy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-TUBE-ST....c100005.m1851
Moved to V8 Engine/Exhaust/Bolt-ons

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Welcome to the forums!

I can vouch that the Speed Engineering headers are good quality, fitment, and about the best reliable budget header you'll find. I, along with many others, can attest to that. Can't comment on the other brands as I know nothing about them.

You could go with a big name brand such as Kooks or ARH, but at almost $1000 more, you have to ask yourself if it's worth it. You can help determine that by how long you plan on keeping the car and what your end goals are. Powerwise, there is no difference.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
LOL one is made by Xing Chow and the other by dang flied lice ...... LOL...look and learn : by the welds, or the content of the stainless, or the merge spike, thickness, bolt holes and works with with HFC/ or has the right primary size or flange /collector size, and maybe some reviews. Cheap stainless may in some worlds be just as good as a higher priced product but in some cases its made worse,..more prone to discoloration or rust even. SO its all in what you want, heck back in the day well ran painted steel and liked it and the damn flanged header gaskets would blow from scraping the stupid paper bottoming out on the flanges.....LOL Used to be able to do a gasket in like 5 minutes....LOL Laying on side reaching under Chevelle...etc..LOL
Old 09-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I always do my homework when buying anything. Today there is too much cheap crap floating around....and, yes, even from the big names many of you swear by. In todays world, the bottom line is money.
That's why we have the internet to help us....forums like this one to help us. My suggestion to you is to do just that......read and learn.
Don't just buy a name. Don't buy just because someone tells you it's best. And lastly, dont look to buy the cheapest.
After reasearching the hundreds of threads in this forum on this topic (hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge) you should be able to make an educated purchase.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #11
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I ran these for 2 years. Sun, rain, snow didn't matter. Never had one issue.
Attached Images

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
so_heaven

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6M
Great responses, thanks guys! Going to go with speed engineering very soon.
so_heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #13
InTheMarket

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Here to vouch for Ebay/ Speed Engineering. I have them and couldn't be happier about the money saved. The welds on mine were well done, and I had zero issues with install and use so far.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
the difference is exhaust leaks and likely fitment issues

speed engineering would be the best of the ones you mentioned. i would install with new oem GM manifold gaskets

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long tube headers, ls3 5thgen, performance bolt on