Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
Headliner Issue on New ZL1

Howdy all. I have a new 2021 ZL1 with a headliner that thumps with the window down at speeds above 40 MPH. I searched "headliner" and the threads all mentioned headliners that droop in the front or the back. That's not my issue.

My issue is that the headliner edges are snug and tight, but the center section of the headliner is not attached to the roof. Maybe it's supposed to be like that, I don't know, but I can't drive with the driver's window down above 40 MPH without the headliner banging up against the roof and vibrating, making a thumping sound.

I know there's some aerodynamic (parasitic and induced) drag created by the open window, resulting in high and low pressure areas around the window opening and in the cockpit. And it's quite a bit of force. But the fact that I can push on the headliner and feel the 1/2" or so of dead air above the headliner and below the roof led me to suspect that it may not be adequately attached to the roof. Is that normal? Thanks...
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Do you have a sunroof or not? All my Gen6 Camaros have had sunroofs. I always like to drive with the windows open and have not noticed this issue.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #3
Zone5

No sunroof. thanks.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone5 View Post
Howdy all. I have a new 2021 ZL1 with a headliner that thumps with the window down at speeds above 40 MPH. I searched "headliner" and the threads all mentioned headliners that droop in the front or the back. That's not my issue.

My issue is that the headliner edges are snug and tight, but the center section of the headliner is not attached to the roof. Maybe it's supposed to be like that, I don't know, but I can't drive with the driver's window down above 40 MPH without the headliner banging up against the roof and vibrating, making a thumping sound.

I know there's some aerodynamic (parasitic and induced) drag created by the open window, resulting in high and low pressure areas around the window opening and in the cockpit. And it's quite a bit of force. But the fact that I can push on the headliner and feel the 1/2" or so of dead air above the headliner and below the roof led me to suspect that it may not be adequately attached to the roof. Is that normal? Thanks...
Something is wrong, I drive with my windows open pretty much constantly and never had this issue...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
Fifty_Tampa2
ZT Zoomin

Drives: A Slow ZL1
Quote:

Definitely not normal, I don’t have a sunroof and I don’t have this issue. Sounds like something isn’t attached, I’d let the dealership take care of it.

2017 "FIFTY" 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
ProCharger, Stage II Intercooler, LT2 Intake, Ported TB, Corsa NPP & Double X-Pipe, MRR FS06 20x10/11, Eibach Lowering Springs, MRC, GM Dark Tail Lights & More..RIP

https://www.youtube.com/c/ZTZoomin
Fifty_Tampa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Take it to the dealer. I’ve had my car into triple digit speeds with windows down for long periods of time with no problems. Sounds like an assembly problem.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Does it happen with both windows down or just the driver’s side.

These cars have buffeting issues with just one windows down, try cracking the passenger side a few mm to see if that helps
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:00 PM   #8
Zone5

First off, thanks to all posters for their responses. Jsreo, funny you mention that. Headliner flapping/vibration/buffeting absolutely happens with the driver's side window down. When both windows are down, it does seem like the buffeting is much reduced, and primarily what I'm hearing is wind and tire noise with both windows open.

My question... Is the headliner, on an exactly comparable car (same year, same exact headliner), supposed to be completely flush with the ceiling/roof, where every square millimeter of the headliner is effectively glued to the ceiling/roof? Or, is the headliner a solid part that's affixed to the ceiling/roof and fastened on the perimeter, or on supports, and thus would not necessarily be perfectly flush? Gents, I'd like to avoid a trip to the dealership, because in other headliner posts I learned that the repair or replacement of the headliner was pretty involved. I'd worry that the dealership would'nt do a perfect job.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #9
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
The seat belt can also cause noises flapping around. I don’t think I have noticed this on my car but other vehicles I have owned would do it.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
The seat belt can also cause noises flapping around. I don’t think I have noticed this on my car but other vehicles I have owned would do it.
I've experienced that, it is usually at higher speeds (above 70 mph)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 09-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #11
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I checked my '21 ZL1 without sunroof and in the center there is some play, so that when I push it up it travels maybe 1/4" to 3/8" and hits a firm surface. I would say it seems to be affixed around the perimeter. I've never heard it rattling or making noise.

That said - the slight droop in the middle is probably normal and maybe you're hearing the seat belt rattle around like Scotty said. I've heard the passenger side buckle jiggle around on bouncy or rough surfaces before in my car. I think the buckle hits the plastic door or trim and makes noise on occasion.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #12
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
You paid for the warranty let them fix it most likely they will have a interior shop fix it.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #13
Zone5

First off, thanks guys for all of your posts. Idaho2018, thanks for checking your car. I was hoping that what I described was normal, and I believe that it is after reading your post. BTW, I don't think my issue is the seatbelt, but I am beginning to think that the slight space above the headliner is normal, contributing to or resulting in the buffeting and just a function of the headliner/cockpit design.

If anyone feels differently, please jump in, because I'm open to all ideas and I certainly don't have a good handle on the situation yet.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #14
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
First off, thanks guys for all of your posts. Idaho2018, thanks for checking your car. I was hoping that what I described was normal, and I believe that it is after reading your post. BTW, I don't think my issue is the seatbelt, but I am beginning to think that the slight space above the headliner is normal, contributing to or resulting in the buffeting and just a function of the headliner/cockpit design.

If anyone feels differently, please jump in, because I'm open to all ideas and I certainly don't have a good handle on the situation yet.
If it is flapping enough to make noise it's eventually going to start to work itself looser than it is causing even further flapping which will make more noise and the problem is only going to get worse. I've never heard a thing from my headliner and I would suspect that your's may be looser than normal.