Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-25-2021, 08:06 AM   #15
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
What size tire are you thinking?
Probably the standard 245/40/20 and 275/35/20. Unless somebody has a better idea.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #16
Wontspeak

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Obviously I prefer dry weather but that's just not always possible.
Allow me to retort. Racing in the rain sucks, even on 4S’s trust me *laughs*

On the 9th 2% chance of rain so I signed up. On the 16th this.

Usually run at 1:47

Last edited by Wontspeak; 09-25-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Wontspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #17
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Probably the standard 245/40/20 and 275/35/20. Unless somebody has a better idea.
Those are the sizes I'd run on those wheels, and the PS4 is available in those sizes. And no, I don't see a reason to run spacers because those wheels have correct offsets for any SS (1LE or not) as they come.

Last edited by Msquared; 09-25-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #18
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wontspeak View Post

Yeah I've found out in the past two years that weather forecasters really suck
Old 09-25-2021, 04:06 PM   #19
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
That's the size I'd run on those wheels, and the PS4 is available in that size. And no, I don't see a reason to run spacers because those wheels have correct offsets for any SS (1LE or not) as they come.

Great info, thank you. I wasn't sure if the offset would work out or not.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #20
Msquared

Quote:
Great info, thank you. I wasn't sure if the offset would work out or not.
Yep, there's no difference in fender space between a plain SS and an SS 1LE. If it fits on an SS it will fit on an SS 1LE and vice versa.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #21
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

Mid-Ohio is notoriously slippery when wet. Just sayin'

Norm
Old 09-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #22
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:

F$&K that! If I showed up for an event and Mother Nature delivers a downpour my car stays on the trailer and I consider my entry fee a donation to the organization. Not much fun tooling around the track at 1/4 speed not to mention worrying about somebody else sliding into me. Shit happens.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #23
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
F$&K that! If I showed up for an event and Mother Nature delivers a downpour my car stays on the trailer and I consider my entry fee a donation to the organization.
Most times, you end up having the track mostly to yourself. Two, maybe three cars per mile of track at most.

Norm
Old 09-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #24
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
F$&K that! If I showed up for an event and Mother Nature delivers a downpour my car stays on the trailer and I consider my entry fee a donation to the organization. Not much fun tooling around the track at 1/4 speed not to mention worrying about somebody else sliding into me. Shit happens.
Agreed, I wouldn't bother going out in that. But if not downpouring and standing water I have no issue going out and improving my rain skills.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #25
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Yep, there's no difference in fender space between a plain SS and an SS 1LE. If it fits on an SS it will fit on an SS 1LE and vice versa.
Except the SS 1LE has a lower ride height than the SS and the stock SS tire sidewall is 35 instead of 30 on the rear so you need to do a relatively easy mod to prevent rubbing through your driver's rear fender liner and possibly eventually through the wiring harness behind it.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485975

I met someone with an SS 1LE running SS wheels/tires on the street who would swap to stock SS 1LE wheels at the track and he had rubbed through the fender liner because he wasn't aware of this.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #26
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Except the SS 1LE has a lower ride height than the SS and the stock SS tire sidewall is 35 instead of 30 on the rear so you need to do a relatively easy mod to prevent rubbing through your driver's rear fender liner and possibly eventually through the wiring harness behind it.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485975

I met someone with an SS 1LE running SS wheels/tires on the street who would swap to stock SS 1LE wheels at the track and he had rubbed through the fender liner because he wasn't aware of this.
The lower ride height doesn't matter, because both cars have the same range of travel and therefore the tires must clear the fender liners at all ride heights down to the bump stops. Also, the SS rear tire is only 0.2" bigger in radius than the 1LE tire, and it's more than an inch narrower. It won't be hitting anything that the 1LE tire isn't hitting. And again, the metal fender and inner liner are the same for both versions of the car, so obviously Chevy wouldn't put tires on the SS that rub the inner liner.

Something else went wrong with your friend's car to cause that rub-through. There's a TSB where some cars had the harness fall off its fastener behind the liner. When that happens, it falls down due to gravity and car movement and it start pushing the liner out into the tire. Happened to a friend of mine with stock rear 1LE tire sizes.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:45 AM   #27
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
The lower ride height doesn't matter, because both cars have the same range of travel and therefore the tires must clear the fender liners at all ride heights down to the bump stops. Also, the SS rear tire is only 0.2" bigger in radius than the 1LE tire, and it's more than an inch narrower. It won't be hitting anything that the 1LE tire isn't hitting. And again, the metal fender and inner liner are the same for both versions of the car, so obviously Chevy wouldn't put tires on the SS that rub the inner liner.

Something else went wrong with your friend's car to cause that rub-through. There's a TSB where some cars had the harness fall off its fastener behind the liner. When that happens, it falls down due to gravity and car movement and it start pushing the liner out into the tire. Happened to a friend of mine with stock rear 1LE tire sizes.
Maybe the TSB issue caused his hole in the fender liner but the SS rear tire diameter is 0.4" larger than the SS 1LE rear tire which means it is closer to the fender liner than the stock tire.

I assumed that there would be less room between the wheel hub center and fender liner on the SS 1LE since it sits about 3/4" lower than a regular SS (according to this: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...36&postcount=2 ), explaining why the stock tire has a smaller diameter than the stock SS tire but maybe that is incorrect? The spot that rubs through first is closer to the hub center than the top of the fender liner is regardless.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #28
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Maybe the TSB issue caused his hole in the fender liner but the SS rear tire diameter is 0.4" larger than the SS 1LE rear tire which means it is closer to the fender liner than the stock tire.
Right, it's 0.2" closer (radius), like I said.

Quote:
I assumed that there would be less room between the wheel hub center and fender liner on the SS 1LE since it sits about 3/4" lower than a regular SS (according to this: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...36&postcount=2 ), explaining why the stock tire has a smaller diameter than the stock SS tire but maybe that is incorrect? The spot that rubs through first is closer to the hub center than the top of the fender liner is regardless.
The 1LE sits lower at static ride height. But at the point where the suspension is fully compressed and is sitting on bump stops, both cars are going to be the same. So they both need to have tire clearance throughout that entire range of travel. Do a thought experiment: if you load enough cargo in the trunk of a regular SS to make it sit 3/4" lower in back and then drive around, would the stock tires rub anything? If the answer is "no," then you know those same tires on an SS 1LE also won't rub anything. And yes, as you note, the place where they rub through is in front of the tire rather than above it (especially if the harness falls off its mount), and therefore isn't ride-height related.