Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Why I would NEVER buy a car online from places like Carvana, Vroom

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/...k-over-titles/

Sounds more like fraud to me. They don't have the title yet they sell the car. How does this happen? Whenever I traded a car in they required me to have the title at the dealership. Carvana doesn't have the title yet sells the car.

So some people paid for these overpriced vending machine cars because they were scared to go into a dealership lol. When I bought my car last year the sales guy and finance guy didn't give two sh*ts if I wore a mask. he told me to just take mine off.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
In some states, Illinois is one, you don't hold the title, the state does. When you pay off the car, you then get the title.

So when you trade it in, you are somewhat out of the loop.

Sounds like all the steps were done, just the title never caught up.

Not sure what masks have to do with it.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
In some states, Illinois is one, you don't hold the title, the state does. When you pay off the car, you then get the title.

So when you trade it in, you are somewhat out of the loop.

Sounds like all the steps were done, just the title never caught up.

Not sure what masks have to do with it.
Carvana shouldn't have been selling the car then until everything checked out.

When I traded my Mustang GT in for the Camaro the dealer required the title in order to resell the car. My dad was a cosigner but passed away. The dealer didn't have us fill the title out right and called us the next day to come in and correct it because they couldn't put the car up for sale without the title done correctly.

Also, most states are all electronic now. Here in Florida everything can be electronically accessed. The dealer basically is the DMV now. You will be amazed how much info can be accessed on the computer.

My guess is Carvana hires flunkies and min training since they're not your tradition Chevy or Honda dealer.

Never had an issue buying a car and the title after purchasing used cars but these online dealers seem to have lots of problems.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Carvana shouldn't have been selling the car then until everything checked out.

When I traded my Mustang GT in for the Camaro the dealer required the title in order to resell the car. My dad was a cosigner but passed away. The dealer didn't have us fill the title out right and called us the next day to come in and correct it because they couldn't put the car up for sale without the title done correctly.

Also, most states are all electronic now. Here in Florida everything can be electronically accessed. The dealer basically is the DMV now. You will be amazed how much info can be accessed on the computer.

My guess is Carvana hires flunkies and min training since they're not your tradition Chevy or Honda dealer.

Never had an issue buying a car and the title after purchasing used cars but these online dealers seem to have lots of problems.
You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #5
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I sure as hell had a good time selling my 17 silverado to Vroom for what I paid for it new a few months ago. Deff would never buy a car from them without test driving and inspecting it first. But that's on the buyer to do that before signing their name on the dotted line.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #6
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I sure as hell had a good time selling my 17 silverado to Vroom for what I paid for it new a few months ago. Deff would never buy a car from them without test driving and inspecting it first. But that's on the buyer to do that before signing their name on the dotted line.
Yep, same here… they paid me a boat load for my GT.

I would NEVER buy online.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Check out what happened with "The Fast Lane Car" youtube channel when they tried to buy a car through Vroom. Seems Vroom couldn't give a damn about you once they have your order, with nearly zero after-sale support.

Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
I don't like these online used car dealers because you don't get to test drive, and you can't negotiate their high prices. IMO, if you know how to negotiate, these dealers are the highest-price source for used cars. Them and CarMax, I should say.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Check out what happened with "The Fast Lane Car" youtube channel when they tried to buy a car through Vroom. Seems Vroom couldn't give a damn about you once they have your order, with nearly zero after-sale support.

It's a crappy situation all around, no doubt. Hopefully it's a rare occurrence at Vroom, but it's inexcusable for it to be that disorganized. That being said, the buyer didn't handle their end very well either - first step after being told "we lost your check" is to call your bank and find out the status of it being cashed - no way they should have waited over a week to contact the bank. They also should have been aware going into it what the steps and costs were for lost/missing checks.

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #10
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Recently, Carvana was banned from selling cars until January 2022 in the Raleigh NC area for crap like this.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Traded in my '14 2LT to Vroom earlier this year for a 2020 Tacoma with 1k on the clock. Smoother than I expected aside from some minor delays in picking up the trade-in. I verified everything was paid off on the trade in in a timely manner, etc.

But yeah, sales went AWOL as soon as all was said and done and never replied to another email or followed up after saying "I want to build relationships, not just sales." (I'd told him I saw a ZL1 in inventory that looked interesting).

I'd do it again if I came across the right car.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #12
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
It's a crappy situation all around, no doubt. Hopefully it's a rare occurrence at Vroom, but it's inexcusable for it to be that disorganized. That being said, the buyer didn't handle their end very well either - first step after being told "we lost your check" is to call your bank and find out the status of it being cashed - no way they should have waited over a week to contact the bank. They also should have been aware going into it what the steps and costs were for lost/missing checks.

From some brief digging that I did after I heard this story, it does not appear to be an isolated incident. I found plenty of stories from people who had terrible experiences with Vroom. It really does appear that the company has no after-sales support. So, if anything goes wrong, you're left completely in the dark about what's going on. Good luck even getting in touch with the sales person you dealt with to buy the car in the first place.

As for taking a week to contact his bank, I don't see it being unreasonable to give a business an opportunity to address the situation first. And Vroom initially told him they found his check, so he gave them a chance to make it right. As for knowing about the fees, it's somewhat irrelevant because how else is he going to get the money to them? And it sounds like there is some discrepancy about whether or not the fees are even applicable. Vroom screwed this up big time, period.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #13
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
Recently, Carvana was banned from selling cars until January 2022 in the Raleigh NC area for crap like this.
I hope they get sued by people too.

I know we jump on dealers a lot, especially the crappy GM service centers and incompetent mechanics, but on the car sales side of the dealerships most of the time I find the dealers to be reasonable if there is an issue that comes up at the sale or right after the sale they will work with you if it's within reason. That sales guy and sales manager wants positive word of mouth and reviews so your friends and family buy a car from them.

Places like Carvana, vRoom don't care. They're big box workers in a office. They could give two sh*ts after the sale. They're not getting commission.

I too would never buy a car online unless I was rich and it was something like a collectors car and even though I'd go right to the auction to see it in person.

I've heard lots of stories people buying from these car vending machines and the car shows up with stuff that was not disclosed in it.

Also, buying a used car like a Camaro is much cheaper via a traditional dealership than carvana. I look online, see cars I like, go to dealer and look at it.

If you watch youtube, Flying Wheels channel, Craig bought a used C6 I think it was online and took deliver and it was in worse shape than listed or what the pics showed.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:00 AM   #14
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
Yep, was on the news here a few weeks ago. Got hit with a $500 fine for all their infractions, too. Wow
If you or I did any of that we would be buying cigarettes and putting on a mophead for a wig for our new cellmate, Bruno.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote