Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I was wrong about Novistretch...

If you don't have one on your car, nor plan on getting one, you don't have to continue. I'm correcting comments I've made about my experience with this product on my car from a thread I can't easily find. It's my intent to not crap on this product, but I am very unhappy.

So - I believe I said I didn't have a problem with this product. I've been using it from mile-9 (when I picked-up my car in September 2019), through about 2000-miles total (so - what- like less than 100-miles/month average?). There are probably less than 200-miles that I haven't used the bra, if that. I'd wash the bra probably once a month, as directed (thought I read they said wash it at least every 200-miles), and the car's had ceramic coating since it came home. Most of the driving has been highway speed-type, and no driving was done in the rain or anything like that. The climate in my area isn't really dusty - it's more arid than anything. There wasn't a huge dust shadow between washes, let's say.

This thing has damaged the paint unlike I would have expected. I've used full bras in the past (Coverking and some other brand) and they've never rubbed through paint and clearcoat like this one. Given - our bumpers have more hard edges and angles than my 2 4th-Gens had, but still. I put 30K-miles on my '02 with that bra and didn't get any wear like I have with 2000-miles and this one. I'll also concede the paint on this car is probably A LOT softer than that one, so that's a consideration, too.

I've got clearcoat wear along all corners of the splitter, and upper facia edges. I have clearcoat wear along the sides of the splitter. Basically - any edge the bra contacts is wearing the clearcoat. I can actually see where the bra material actually embedded and left the weave pattern on the top edge of the bumper facia paint, where it butts-against the front hood edge. There's the actual texture of the weave mis-shaping the actual paint on the facia.

Also - the MOST aggravating part of this is the bra actually rubbed through the clearcoat and paint and down to the plastic of the lower grille opening. The very top/center grille scallop (I'm not sure what to call this, but it's the top-center grille-louver, if you will, that pokes out the most) is wore down to the d@mn plastic. Unbelievable...

So - while the bra did well protecting from rock chips and bugs reasonably well, it's damaged the paint all over. Most of it can be polished - yes. Did I expect more protection? Sure did. Would I recommend this product? Maybe - with the caveats I listed though.

I think others already said this: Save the money for at least ppf for the front end. If you care about the paint condition of the car, ppf. If you can't afford it - save for it and get it done. I stand corrected from statements in the past favoring this product as a good alternative to what I care about.

Not cool...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Car bras are never a good thing to put on a car you care about. Anything that can blow in the wind and touch the paint will eventually wear on the paint.
They are good at protecting the radiator but thats about it.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Yea, I never see anyone use a car bra anymore. PPF is the way to go these days.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Dang, sorry to hear. Hopefully a paint correction will fix the majority of the issue. Can you post some pics of what some of the wear looks like?

When i was picking my car up and driving home 1600 miles i was looking for protection for the front end and this was recommended. I was hesitant because of this exact reason.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Dang, sorry to hear. Hopefully a paint correction will fix the majority of the issue. Can you post some pics of what some of the wear looks like?

When i was picking my car up and driving home 1600 miles i was looking for protection for the front end and this was recommended. I was hesitant because of this exact reason.
I'll try to remember to follow up. This might be good temporarily, but as already posted from someone else above - ppf.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
always thought those were goofy looking i never did ppf on my car just ceramic coat but i should have my whole front end is covered in rock chips lol oh well it gives it character
Old 09-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #7
LOW01

Drives: 2019 "CRUSH" ZL1 CAMARO
I have one that I use on my car and I cannot say I have the issues. My car also has PPF and is Ceramic Coated. So you are going to read my prior sentence and go, well why would you use the Novistretch when you already have ppf?? My reason for using this product is more for blocking the bugs than worrying about stone chips. The bugs in Wisconsin in the summer are crazy. As much as I love the looks of the ZL1 front end, it is a pain in the butt to clean all the bugs. With the bumper mask I just have to wipe off the bugs that stuck to it, remove and all the openings and radiators are still super clean and not full of bugs. Now I only have to clean off the headlights, Windshield and mirrors after a drive and I am done.
LOW01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW01 View Post
I have one that I use on my car and I cannot say I have the issues. My car also has PPF and is Ceramic Coated. So you are going to read my prior sentence and go, well why would you use the Novistretch when you already have ppf?? My reason for using this product is more for blocking the bugs than worrying about stone chips. The bugs in Wisconsin in the summer are crazy. As much as I love the looks of the ZL1 front end, it is a pain in the butt to clean all the bugs. With the bumper mask I just have to wipe off the bugs that stuck to it, remove and all the openings and radiators are still super clean and not full of bugs. Now I only have to clean off the headlights, Windshield and mirrors after a drive and I am done.
Fair points.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #9
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Hmm…I’m just about to pull mine off. I’ve only used it a couple times, but I know for certain it’s a sand collector at the lower attachment portion of the wheels wells.

Appreciate the heads up on this. If I use it at all, it will now be even more sparingly and for bugs only.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

How has any wear from the bra been on the ppf? I'm getting the front end done, and thought about using it sparingly over the ppf, but don't want to dull the look of that. Our bugs aren't too bad, but keeping the front end cleaner from them would be convenient.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #11
LOW01

Drives: 2019 "CRUSH" ZL1 CAMARO
I did notice onetime a little rubbing haze on the top of the nose by the hood, but due to the self healing capabilities of the film after sitting in the sun it went away. A couple times on longer drives if I stopped somewhere, I would open the hood and just un-snap the (2) snaps that are on top and fold down over to be extra cautious. I definitely remove it as soon as I get my destination or home.
LOW01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #12
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
always thought those were goofy looking i never did ppf on my car just ceramic coat but i should have my whole front end is covered in rock chips lol oh well it gives it character
Sh**! I have rock chips all over the front. The biggest ones I have used a GM paint correction pen to take the "Hey, look at my chip" screams coming from the front. But hey, I drive mine fifty miles a day, five days a week, up and down I-5 and I love doing it! And it's still one of the fastest cars in town - chips and all!!
DSX Flex fuel/Low side
NW 103mm TB/Roto-Fab CAI
Monster S Series
Elite E2-X
2" TSP LT's
BMR:BK063, BK060,TCA061, UTCA060, UTCA063
Weld Beadlocks/17" NT5R2
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote