Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Replacing Hood Wrap new 2021 1LE

i know I know. I have brought this up in a few posts. Long story so this will try and be shorter.

Waited 7 months for ordered 2021 2SS 1LE. Picked it up August 31. Hood wrap was messed up (no bubbles, just swirl marks, scratches, discoloration). Showed the salesman before I left. He said if they do not come out we will do the right thing. Washing soap and water and tried 2 different matte cleaners. Nothing works.

Take it back to dealer. They agree its a mess and try to say they all come that way and none are perfect. But they agree to replace it. They keep in touch and say the ordered part, the new wrap is in. They have to outsource to a 3M dealer to install. Ok, kind of makes sense and I would rather have a pro replace it. It is on their end to arrange everything.

My service writer calls me yesterday and says bring the car up so they can take photos to get authorization from GM for the warranty to cover the job. They took photos, then told me they are waiting on a bid from a 3M dealer they reached out to, as GM will only cover the cost up to a certain allowance.

So now were back to the waiting. Has anyone else had theirs replaced? Has anyone else gone through this? Is what I am being told accurate? And really what does the new wrap and installation cost and how much time to replace it, an hour or a day?

Everyone has been nice and helpful thus far at the dealership and I know they are going to make it right. Just the time frame is is frustrating.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
On my 2014 1LE there were some slight scratches I noticed when I washed it the first few times. But on every one the Gen 6 cars I have had, I have found other cosmetic issues with paint and fit and finish as well (runs and lack of paint). In the end it was so slight, I wasnt going to risk taking it back to whom ever and having them "fix" it. Considering they could have made it worse.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Let them fix it you paid a lot of money for that warranty.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
Travis959

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I had mine replaced a couple months ago due to bubbling around the hood vent and some tears. It took about 3 months from time I took it to the dealer to them getting the part and finding a shop. It was covered under warranty and like you my dealer had to take it to a body shop that does wraps. The body shop actually called me and asked if I wanted them to use the oem part or their own stuff that was much thicker and was satin so it matched the spoiler and mirrors. I went with that since if I have any issues the body shop will warranty it. Not sure of the price but he said it was cheaper for the dealership than using GM’s part. I think if I had paid for them to put their wrap on it would be somewhere around $200 - $300.
Travis959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
BrentV

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I am waiting on my dealer. Mine has bubbles around the hood vent. been waiting for over three weeks for a response from GM.
BrentV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
If they list the exact vinyl wrap color name/code used on the paperwork can you please post it here? I have seen varying reports on the correct one and may re-wrap my hood in the future due to rock chips making small holes in my original hood wrap.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
ckt227

Bought the car August 30th, took it back on September 6th. After some back and forth they agreed to replace it. Part came in a few weeks ago. The delay was getting a authorized 3M Installer to replace as the dealership has no one qualified. Picked up the new wrap from the dealer today to be installed tomorrow.

If they list the exact vinyl wrap color name/code used on the paperwork can you please post it here? I have seen varying reports on the correct one and may re-wrap my hood in the future due to rock chips making small holes in my original hood wrap.

The part number is 84406072, it wasn't on the paperwork but found it on the parts box. MSRP $345. GM OEM Replacement part sites have it $225ish. Part description is vague just stating Decal-Special Order Part. Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Awesome, thanks!
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #9
ckt227

The saga continues and GM is a pain to deal with. Picked up the car, hood wrap was messed up. Dealer agrees to replace. Part comes in, appointment today at noon for install from a certified 3M installation shop.

Drop the car off at noon. Around 2:30 get a call from the dealership. 3M guy called them after opening the parts box with the wrap saying the wrap is junk and there is no way he can put it on without tearing/ripping/air bubbles etc.

I tell the dealer I will go to the shop. Drive down there and speak with the owner/installer. Super nice guy and he explained a lot. He said, and makes sense, that there would be some sort of issues with the wrap and it would not be right. He stated he does not have an account with the dealership and if I wasn't 100% satisfied with the work how many times would GM pay for another wrap/install and collecting payment could be difficult. He also took the time to show me 3M matte black wrap. It was better quality and had a protective film. The GM replacement wrap was cheap, no protection and crammed in a 7 foot box.

I call the dealer. Now I am patient, but I reminded them this crap has been going on for a month now. The service advisor brought up maybe just having the 3M shop just use the 3M wrap. It was slightly more shiny than OEM, but I said lets just do it as the installer said if he makes a mistake he can just start over until its right and not wait for a OEM wrap. Service guy got in touch with GM, and I do not know what was quoted price wise for the 3M wrap and install, but the service writer said it was over the GM price allowance and he had to contact two more authorized 3M dealers about getting the shitty OEM wrap installed.

I will not drive the car until its fixed so they don't blame me. 40 miles on it 13 at pick up. Two trips to the dealer for photos and service write up. And to the 3Mplace and back. I know it seems petty, but a $7000 1LE option package and probably the cheapest thing about it has become a pain to replace

The GM wrap retails MSRP at $325, (I know dealer did not pay that). I do not know the install price but I am guessing $200 or so. So if the 3M wrap and install I figure would be in the same ballpark. Or maybe I am way off.

This sucks. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
ckt227

Two days now and nothing from the dealer. Will contact them tomorrow if they do not call me.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #11
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I like it better without the wrap, looks cheap to me. But i "get it"

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #12
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Since you are this far along in the process of getting it replaced, why worry about driving it? They've already agreed to replace it, so they shouldn't try to back out if the wrap picks up a ding now. You waited so long to get the car, driving it might help you deal with the frustration of getting the wrap sorted out.

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #13
ckt227

You know. Your right. They have seen and taken photos. They agreed to fix it. I will start running around in it. Hi ft
Old 10-02-2021, 06:03 AM   #14
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
I'd like to delete the hood wrap on my ZLE order but the dealer said there is no way for that to happen. For the couple of hundred bucks from the 3M installer and if you could get over the "principle" of the warranty thoughts, I think it would worth time and less frustration just to get it over with the 3M installation company. But I get it...
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote