Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-22-2021, 01:26 AM   #1
c.s.v.b

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Magnetic Ride Control

Hey all. I have a brand new 2021 SS 1LE. I’ve almost put 300 miles on her but while changing through the modes, for the life of me I can’t feel a difference in suspension.
How drastic is the change in ride supposed to be? I’ve seen people talk about it feeling like a Cadillac almost in tour and riding rough in sport but all modes feel the same to me besides steering.
Before anybody asks, yes the shipping blocks have been taken off. I’m worried it might be broken. Any help or am I just being paranoid?
c.s.v.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:55 AM   #2
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.s.v.b View Post
Hey all. I have a brand new 2021 SS 1LE. I’ve almost put 300 miles on her but while changing through the modes, for the life of me I can’t feel a difference in suspension.

How drastic is the change in ride supposed to be? I’ve seen people talk about it feeling like a Cadillac almost in tour and riding rough in sport but all modes feel the same to me besides steering.

Before anybody asks, yes the shipping blocks have been taken off. I’m worried it might be broken. Any help or am I just being paranoid?
Have you checked thru the radio to ensure the suspension is in "Auto" mode so it will change to whatever mode you select with the switch at the center console?

Otherwise, it will never change and be locked to whatever it is selected on the radio.

Yes the suspension should feel different in each mode... Like you should be able to tell the car getting firmer on track and sport vs tour

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
there should be quite a change between tour and track.zthe ride stiffens up and the steering gets considerably more precise/stiffer.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
c.s.v.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Have you checked thru the radio to ensure the suspension is in "Auto" mode so it will change to whatever mode you select with the switch at the center console?

Otherwise, it will never change and be locked to whatever it is selected on the radio.

Yes the suspension should feel different in each mode... Like you should be able to tell the car getting firmer on track and sport vs tour

Yes the suspension option is on auto. I switch through modes and don’t feel a difference besides steering.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Indeed, there should be a difference you can feel. Since the suspension setting is "Auto" and you still can't feel anything, I'd test it out driving the exact same, not smooth route locked in each suspension mode and try to feel out the difference. The biggest one should be between tour and track, I think that's enough to test initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
there should be quite a change between tour and track.zthe ride stiffens up and the steering gets considerably more precise/stiffer.
The steering feel setting is independent of the suspension, so even if that change with modes, suspension could be locked to a setting, or the MRC controller, perhaps the shocks themselves can still be faulty in theory. Also, MRC programming on the non-V8 1LE could make the difference between modes less pronounced (of course I'm just guessing here, never having driven one).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #6
crab

Drives: 2019 1LE
Very noticable change.
"That my friend.. is the sweet succulent sound of the car preparing to ignite the wonderfully tasty nectar your V8 needs to send the screaming bald eagles furiously from the 4 pipes out of the rear of your vehicle"
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My suggestion is to drive it in one mode for a few miles and then switch it to the next mode until you go thru all modes and I’m wondering if you can tell a difference by doing this. Like everyone so far has replied I can feel a difference in the 4 modes in my ZL1. Tour and Ice/snow feel about the same but sport and track are very noticeable. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
The same thing on my prior 5th gen ZL1, I only was able to differentiate the magnetic shocks settings on a bumpy bridge, on tour mode it felt comfortable and on track mode it was a very bumpy ride.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
lubeman1969

Drives: 2018 2ss m6
I’ve read all responses above. So the feel of the steering and suspension can be set differently from each other? By the way I read it, the steering always changes through the console switch and the suspension can be done either way but on auto it matches the steering selection. Am I right?
lubeman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeman1969 View Post
I’ve read all responses above. So the feel of the steering and suspension can be set differently from each other? By the way I read it, the steering always changes through the console switch and the suspension can be done either way but on auto it matches the steering selection. Am I right?
You can hard lock the suspension, steering and sound if NPP equipped on the radio. Doing so will prevent those setting from changing when using the center console switch.

Yes you can set the steerikg independent of the suspension

Old 08-22-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
It's pretty apparent when I go over those big speed bumps in shopping mall parking lots. With Sport, there is not a lot of rebound but in Touring, there is more rebound and that absorbs the speed bumps better.

As others mentioned, check if the suspension setting is locked into a setting instead of following the mode selector.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:00 PM   #12
lubeman1969

Drives: 2018 2ss m6
Ok great. Good info here, I’ve had the car for nearly a year now and just now trying a few different modes. Done a few performance mods, just haven’t tried much on the settings. Only driven it about 2000 miles. Hope the Op gets it figured out.
lubeman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:37 PM   #13
c.s.v.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
It's pretty apparent when I go over those big speed bumps in shopping mall parking lots. With Sport, there is not a lot of rebound but in Touring, there is more rebound and that absorbs the speed bumps better.

As others mentioned, check if the suspension setting is locked into a setting instead of following the mode selector.
Tried your speed bump method and didn’t notice a huge difference. Instead of messing with the mode selector, I jumped from touring to track back to touring in the infotainment system. Did that on a fairly decent road too and noticed an ever so slight difference. May have been placebo I have no idea. Maybe I’m expecting a bigger difference than others suggested.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:41 PM   #14
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.s.v.b View Post
Tried your speed bump method and didn’t notice a huge difference. Instead of messing with the mode selector, I jumped from touring to track back to touring in the infotainment system. Did that on a fairly decent road too and noticed an ever so slight difference. May have been placebo I have no idea. Maybe I’m expecting a bigger difference than others suggested.
Maybe find someone locally to give you a ride on their car? Given that the roads here in CA are bad, i can tell the different modes. For instance on certain roads in track, i can feel the car rocking up and down because it is stiffer... Drive the same in Tour, i cannot feel any rocking up and down and it feels the road is smooth