Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 09-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #57
jebfour

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I've read through this thread a few times as well as the High Performance supplement (which could be made far more clear). 0W 40 Dexos 2 Mobil 1 is fine for both street and track use, correct?

I haven't tracked mine yet (2018 1LE) but if the above is accurate, I figure I'll just make the change tomorrow when I get the oil changed. Sorry for the dumb question, I'm sure this is second nature to everyone else, but this is my first "modern" muscle and I don't want to screw it up.

Previous
1967 w/ 327 & M21
1968 w/ 302 & M21
1968 RS/SS w/ 383 & M22
1986 IROC Z
jebfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #58
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebfour View Post
I've read through this thread a few times as well as the High Performance supplement (which could be made far more clear). 0W 40 Dexos 2 Mobil 1 is fine for both street and track use, correct?
Yes, dexos2 Mobil1 0w-40 is fine for both street and track.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #59
Idyll
lost between two shores

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Dexos is a great oil for those more concerned with their cats than their engines, as that's the primary focus of dexos. Personally, I prefer the additive package in Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula as it's more focused on sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur (full SAPS). It doesn't carry the dexos 2 label because a full SAPS oil shouldn't be used in diesels with particulate filters, and GM wants a single additive package that can be used across their entire fleet (gas and diesel).

What's funny is I never see anyone pushing dexos in any of the non-GM cars they have in their garage. It's like the engines and cats in GM cars are somehow unique from the other 60 automotive manufacturers around the world and only a dexos additive can save them from certain destruction.

P.S. Ever wonder why dexos isn't Dexos, with a capital D? Because if GM requires you to use a specifically named branded product for warranty compliance, then they'd be required to provide that product to the customer. GM says dexos is not a brand, but simply an additive that they in turn get royalties for by having the label on oil bottles.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:19 AM   #60
jeep_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idyll View Post
Dexos is a great oil for those more concerned with their cats than their engines, as that's the primary focus of dexos. Personally, I prefer the additive package in Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula as it's more focused on sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur (full SAPS). It doesn't carry the dexos 2 label because a full SAPS oil shouldn't be used in diesels with particulate filters, and GM wants a single additive package that can be used across their entire fleet (gas and diesel).

What's funny is I never see anyone pushing dexos in any of the non-GM cars they have in their garage. It's like the engines and cats in GM cars are somehow unique from the other 60 automotive manufacturers around the world and only a dexos additive can save them from certain destruction.

P.S. Ever wonder why dexos isn't Dexos, with a capital D? Because if GM requires you to use a specifically named branded product for warranty compliance, then they'd be required to provide that product to the customer. GM says dexos is not a brand, but simply an additive that they in turn get royalties for by having the label on oil bottles.
Interesting. Besides the obvious protection for catalytic converters, I never really dug deep into the reasons GM is pushing this particular spec on their customers. Are these cats different or did GM have to replace a bunch of oil fouled cats under warranty? Who knows
To support your point, the owner's manual does state the track duty specific oil is regular Mobil1 15w-50, which I presume is not dexos certified. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure we don't want to void our powertrain and/or emissions system warranties by using incompatible oils.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #61
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I could be wrong, but I think the reason modern oil lack much of the zinc and phosphorous that it use to have, and in some cases still needs, is due to Chrysler mini vans back in the '90's that use to smoke like a two stroke.

Chrysler was spending tons of money replacing cats, due to federally mandated emissions warranty, on their vans with the crap Mitsubishi engines that were fouling cats due to excess oil consumption.
They were able to lobby officials that it was the "faulty" oil formulation that was destroying cat converters, not their crap engine.

In the '90's you would see a smoke cloud in traffic at a stop light, when the light would turn green you could see the source of the smoke was a Dodge Caravan, every time. It was like a running joke, guess what color Dodge van was smoking at this light.

It was almost comical, if it wasn't so sad, and now we all have to suffer due to one company's inability to accept responsibility for selling a crap product and not standing behind it.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:06 AM   #62
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I change mine every 5000 or so and my oil change reminder rarely comes on saying anything. The whole point of synthetic oil originally was for longer oil change intervals. Many manufacturers advertise 10,000, 16,000, 20,000 and even 22,000 mile oil change intervals. I think we just might be changing it quite early even at 5000. But we love our cars!!
Echoing this... I'm about the 7500/9 mo mark, wouldn't an N/A motor last until 10-15k miles until the next change? I changed it twice at this point.

My N54 in my bmw was every 22k, figured a turbo motor might need a more frequent change. Feel like I might be changing too soon?
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:20 AM   #63
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I bet if you sent a sample after 5k to Blackstone, it would say you may extend your interval.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #64
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
My last sample of M1 5w-30 I sent to Blackstone was 5k miles in and they said everything looked good and to try 7,000 next. I then put in M1 0w-40 ESP and just took that out after 1 year and only 4,600 miles. I am waiting for the results now of this 4,600 mile oil analysis and will see what they say. I would have pushed this oil further than 4,600 miles but I was 1 year on it and the oil life was at 0% on my dash.
Daily1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #65
Redlinez
Shifts under load

I wouldn't place a ton of importance on that oil life indicator. I'm pretty sure it bases on miles/time, not actual condition of the oil. Looking forward to your results.
Now, if you're like I was about 28 years ago and beat the snot out of it every single day, multiple times a day, you might want to stick with 5k.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #66
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I wouldn't place a ton of importance on that oil life indicator. I'm pretty sure it bases on miles/time, not actual condition of the oil.
It doesn't sample the condition of the oil, true. But it's a lot more sophisticated than just miles and time. It understands whether your miles are short trips with lots of cold starts (shortens the interval) vs long highway trips; whether you're thrashing on it (shortens the interval) vs driving like a grandma; oil temps; and probably some other things I'm not thinking of. It probably does a good job of figuring out when you should do your next oil change.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #67
jeep_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
It doesn't sample the condition of the oil, true. But it's a lot more sophisticated than just miles and time. It understands whether your miles are short trips with lots of cold starts (shortens the interval) vs long highway trips; whether you're thrashing on it (shortens the interval) vs driving like a grandma; oil temps; and probably some other things I'm not thinking of. It probably does a good job of figuring out when you should do your next oil change.
I would tend to agree with this, as my last oil change interval involved a lot of short trips and it was shorter in miles driven by about 2000 miles. The previous interval lasted a good 7000 miles of highway driving that was 50% open highway and 50% rush hour bay area traffic. However you drive though, the clock is always ticking and it wants you to change the oil at least once a year. All said, the oil change interval is still too short for synthetic oil.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #68
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Well that's cool to know it uses driving habit info! Wouldn't have guess it. I know our Range Rovers at work just go on time or miles. Hitech I tell ya.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #69
Idyll
lost between two shores

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Americans are still stuck a few decades in the past when it comes to oil change intervals. The average interval in Europe is over 10,000 miles or once a year.

I just sent off my second analysis with 6,400 miles on the oil (Mobil 1 0W/40 European Formula), or 15% remaining. I should have gone to 7,500 miles, and I'm guessing that's what Blackstone will tell me.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #70
JRunner01

Drives: 2019 Camaro
For maybe those looking to save on oil costs, this technically is allowed as per the manual and is a good deal at wally world.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...uart/495194903

I was looking to use this at least on the 500 mile change since it will only be in 1k miles before I have to change it again.