Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #15
stars_fan
Nerd

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Why not list the 3 vendors? I bet we've ordered from the same one because I've noticed an increase in spam myself.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #16
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
Since you are "in I.T." you should know your email addy could have been compromised on your end or on the vendors', without either of you knowing it.

A vendor did not necessarily, intentionally, sell it. A browser could harvest it, an ISP could harvest it, even the credit card transaction could have harvested it.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
sabasigh

Drives: 2016 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
Since you are "in I.T." you should know your email addy could have been compromised on your end or on the vendors', without either of you knowing it.

A vendor did not necessarily, intentionally, sell it. A browser could harvest it, an ISP could harvest it, even the credit card transaction could have harvested it.
Lol...i just registered w/the forum just so i could post that exact message!
sabasigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #18

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
I posted this in another thread but I don't think the a$$hole vendor will see it so I made this thread.

I'd really like to find out which vendor sold my email address. I ordered 3 items from different vendors that advertise on this forum and all of a sudden I'm getting spammed by all kinds of douche bag websites. I do not need slutty girls or male enhancements !!!!! I hope I find out which one sold my address. I work in IT and will do my best (within the law) to make their life a living hell.

You breached my trust by selling my email address. You know who you are and I have friends that are helping me find out who you are. Pray that I do not find you.
It's a mystery how these things can happen. Here's a sample of how it can randomly happen to anyone...lol..

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #19
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
To all of you experts, I am going to end with this.

I have been in the IT field since DOS was the OS of choice. Am currently network administrator and web manager for a government agency. I am also a consultant to 23 other agencies. So, I know what I'm doing.

My email address was secure until I purchased from these vendors. I have used it many times in the past without getting spammed.

I hadn't given that particular email address to anyone new or made any new purchases for almost a year before the purchases I made from forum vendors. I was still receiving email from expected sources so I know the account was secure.

It was NOT compromised on my end. My PC is VERY secure - believe that. If it was compromised on the vendor's end it is due to the the vendor's lack of security and therefore, the vendor's fault.

If/when I find out which vendor it was, I will post the name. I will not post names without being sure.

Now I am truly done with this thread. Again
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #20
vaib

Drives: Red Camaro
Can you post the names of all of the vendors here that you have bought from?
vaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
stars_fan
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
To all of you experts, I am going to end with this.

I have been in the IT field since DOS was the OS of choice. Am currently network administrator and web manager for a government agency. I am also a consultant to 23 other agencies. So, I know what I'm doing.

My email address was secure until I purchased from these vendors. I have used it many times in the past without getting spammed.

I hadn't given that particular email address to anyone new or made any new purchases for almost a year before the purchases I made from forum vendors. I was still receiving email from expected sources so I know the account was secure.

It was NOT compromised on my end. My PC is VERY secure - believe that. If it was compromised on the vendor's end it is due to the the vendor's lack of security and therefore, the vendor's fault.

If/when I find out which vendor it was, I will post the name. I will not post names without being sure.

Now I am truly done with this thread. Again
Network Admin?? So you're a glorified help desk tech

If the emails are from Leslie then I can tell you which vendor did it to you.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #22
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars_fan View Post
Says the....????
Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #23
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
This is why I use a gmail and whenever I put in my email I add a +vendorname@gmail.com that way I can see who sold me email. For example if my email was camaroITguy@gmail.com and I bought from amazon it would be camaroITguy+amazon@gmail.com. You will get the email at your camaroITguy@gmail and if you start getting spam you can check the headers and see it was sent to camaroITguy+amazon@gmail.com tada now you know amazon sold your account info.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #24
vaib

Drives: Red Camaro
Quote:

If the emails are from Leslie then I can tell you which vendor did it to you.
Network admin equals helpdesk? yes keep believing that, okay??
vaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #25
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
This is why I use a gmail and whenever I put in my email I add a +vendorname@gmail.com that way I can see who sold me email. For example if my email was camaroITguy@gmail.com and I bought from amazon it would be camaroITguy+amazon@gmail.com. You will get the email at your camaroITguy@gmail and if you start getting spam you can check the headers and see it was sent to camaroITguy+amazon@gmail.com tada now you know amazon sold your account info.
Holy crap, that's ingenious. I had no idea Gmail supported that feature. Might be time to finally ditch my ~20 year old AOL.com address.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #26
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Welcome to Hillary's World. She thought her private/government email was secure. SPAM is absolutely everywhere. You really don't have a case, at least one that's win able. You obviously know that if you accuse a vendor on a public forum and you're wrong you could be sued yourself. Hopefully it will go away.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #27
stars_fan
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Says the....????
Network Engineer. The guy who does all the heavy lifting for the admins

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaib View Post
Network admin equals helpdesk? yes keep believing that, okay??
Yes plugging cables in and helping people connect to wifi are what admins do. That's little knowledge helpdesk level of work.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #28
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Network Engineer. The guy who does all the heavy lifting for the admins

Yes plugging cables in and helping people connect to wifi are what admins do. That's little knowledge helpdesk level of work.
That's funny. In my agency the network engineers work for me. Those guys couldn't program a casio watch. All they are good for is the 'heavy lifting'. I usually send them out when someone loses a desktop shortcut or has a paper jam in their printer. Sometimes they have trouble with that.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote