Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #71
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
I see a trend, where all manufacturers feel they have reached the end of the horsepower Wars. Even Ford is eliminating its lineup of cars except for the Mustang. Will the GT500 be the last big motor in a Mustang ? Waiting to see what Dodge is going to do.
I also think a hybrid Camaro is in the works for the next Generation.
WIll GT500 be the last big motor in a Mustang? Depends on how you define big. Expect that when S650 appears, a GT350 will follow a year or two in.

Waiting to see what Dodge is going to do? They just did it. Redeye. 797 hp. Plus they bumped up the Hellcat to 717. Not sure they need to do much else, but there is evidence of a Hemi upgrade coming in a few years.

Hybrid Camaro? Probably. Doesn’t mean there won’t be an SS. Or a 1LE. Or a ZL1.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #72
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
LOL you guys are missing the point. It isn't whether or not you or I want an EV it's whether an ADAS level 4 or 5 vehicle needs to be an EV.

The market is changing. Fewer and fewer people want to buy, own and maintain something. More and more people use Uber and Lyft (I have yet to). And a huge part of the cost of Uber and Lyft is the driver.

Besides this is really more about change than it is about propulsion. We just like things to stay the same. I look at my LaCrosse. I get around 250 miles to before I have to stop and fill up. About the same range as a Bolt on a single charge. The newer electric vehicles can get an 80% recharge in about 15 minutes now. And that is getting better as is the range.

For everyone claiming "there is no infrastructure" you need to understand the demand isn't there yet. When it is it will almost correct itself over night as people will realize the profit potential of providing that service to the economy. That's how it works.

Besides I know people that are taking trips in their Teslas all the time. None seem horribly inconvenienced at the prospect of recharging on the road.

Just get ready. It's coming whether you like it or not. And like AO or not, he likely didn't get moved to EV programs as punishment. So one of two things:

a) Al was moved because they believe he can do more for future EV programs to influence the future profitability of the company.

b) There is no future for Camaro so let's move Al off the platform and on to something else and bring Mark in to mop up until the Camaro simply dies off.

And there is a subset to a) being the NG Camaro is such a game changer as an EV they moved Al to EV programs for that reason alone.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #73
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Tesla ended down yesterday and is down from its yearly high , once they lose there subsides and GM starts producing better EV's we will see how their stock goes then . I believe if Tesla sticks around they will just be building higher end cars like Fisker is doing now with the Emotion .
The whole market has taken a dump this week so Tesla’s drop is more market influenced than any evaluation of Tesla as a company. As far as the subsidies, for the Model S and the Model X, the demographic of the people buying those are not gonna freak out over $7,500. They may or may not forego an option to keep the price in line or they may just go “whatever” and buy the car anyway. For Model 3 buyers, there will likely be some sensitivity and some of the pre-order buyers may bail because they can’t get a $35k Tesla. Not enough will bail to impact Tesla stock price.

And for that matter, Tesla’s stock price is not based on how many vehicles they sell. Never has been. It is based on what investors see as the long term potential of the company and its ability to disrupt the auto industry. Also, a lot of the money Tesla does bring in is in the form of sale of Zero Emissions Credits to automakers unable to generate enough of their own credits. That will continue.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #74
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Why don't you tell them about battery loss, as in loss in range over time, you have it now, how will that be dealt with? ( volt went from max range, after 1 year that drops X%) so now every 2-3 year new battery's, is that covered by GM warranty ?
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #75
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Did ya hear Al is leaving???

Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #76
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
MmmHmm....We heard.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #77
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
From Al..

I would like to share this post with everyone from Camaro Nation, as well as all of my friends and family. It has truly been very humbling to see the outpouring of well wishes and thanks from everyone on my announcement. I have always considered myself a lucky and blessed man to have been able to do what I have done for General Motors. Many of you know I have always been a Camaro guy, way back to my first car, my '70 1/2. Many of you have heard my story of being in the very room in March 2005, when our leadership decided it was time to bring the Camaro back as a concept car at the 2006 NAIAS. I was in charge of concept vehicles at that time, and we built the legendary running concept car. Since that moment, I have always tried to guide our amazing team to remember what Pete Estes said when they announced the new Camaro back in 1966 "The real mission of the Camaro is to be a close companion to its owner, tailored to reflect his or her individual tastes, and at the same time provide exciting personal transportation". I believe our Camaro team has done that successfully with both the 5th Gen and 6th Gen Camaro. I have traveled literally around the world for this car, and have met so many wonderful Camaro owners, whom I refer to as my Camaro family, or Camaro Nation. You have all taken me and my team in for a closer look at what you have done with our car to personalize it, to make it your own. That is my favorite moment, when we have bonded as a Camaro family. This last week has definitely been an emotional one for me, with a lot of ups and downs. I will spend some time with you over a few laughs, a few tears, rest up over the holidays, but then I am going to come back in January in my new role, swinging harder than ever. As far as the Camaro? We aren't done yet. The best performance team in the business has more to show you, as you will see in the near future. The best thing you can do is continue to spread the word on what a great car it is, continue to grow Camaro Nation, and continue to support the Camaro team. With regard to my new role, I am honored and proud that I am part of GM's vision for the future, and my contributions are recognized as necessary to help get there, and forever grateful to our visionary leaders Mary Barra and Mark Reuss for my opportunities past and future. I'm proud to say #IworkforGM.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #78
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

Hybrid Camaro? Probably. Doesn’t mean there won’t be an SS. Or a 1LE. Or a ZL1.
Here’s what I know for sure,
Going back to the glory days of the hot rod, the 60’s and early 70’s
I NEVER expected to see a stock 650 bhp monster that handles like the ZL1 or the 1LE ever produced, especially on the Camaro platform!

Nobody goes backwards in business purposely , that’s a receipe for disaster.
I’m expecting exceptional things for the Camaro and Corvettes futures.

Technology will just make things better

Although i’m sad to see Al leave the Camaro team, I wish him luck in his new venture, and give him many thanks for the direction and level he helped bring the Camaro team too.

As the Savagegeese video and the goonzsquad guys say,
This thing is a beast.

2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered
Frisbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #79
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Why don't you tell them about battery loss, as in loss in range over time, you have it now, how will that be dealt with? ( volt went from max range, after 1 year that drops X%) so now every 2-3 year new battery's, is that covered by GM warranty ?
The Volt we have now will hit 36k before Christmas. Can still cross 60 miles in warm weather and 45 miles in cold weather. So I would say 0% degradation in almost 3 years. Batteries are covered for 8 years warranty. Not at all worried about the battery.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #80
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
The Volt we have now will hit 36k before Christmas. Can still cross 60 miles in warm weather and 45 miles in cold weather. So I would say 0% degradation in almost 3 years. Batteries are covered for 8 years warranty. Not at all worried about the battery.
You also have to keep in mind that GM thermally maintains the battery in the Volt/Bolt. Something not everyone does.

Further, GM has always been very conservative in the amount of discharge permitted in use. Yep you can take it pretty low and electrons start doing funky things. The earliest Volts, GM was maintain charge and discharge at very conservative levels protecting the battery.

Volt has been out now for what, 7 years? I haven't heard anyone complaining on line or owners that I know that the battery life has degraded to the point where it impacts their normal use. Not like they are suddenly using the ICE to get around.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #81
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
have to say this is true.we run electric forklifts(10,000 pounds weight)in our warehouse.24/7 usage,and by the end of the 3rd year there are definite losses in battery capacity and ability to hold a charge.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #82
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
The whole market has taken a dump this week so Tesla’s drop is more market influenced than any evaluation of Tesla as a company. As far as the subsidies, for the Model S and the Model X, the demographic of the people buying those are not gonna freak out over $7,500. They may or may not forego an option to keep the price in line or they may just go “whatever” and buy the car anyway. For Model 3 buyers, there will likely be some sensitivity and some of the pre-order buyers may bail because they can’t get a $35k Tesla. Not enough will bail to impact Tesla stock price.

And for that matter, Tesla’s stock price is not based on how many vehicles they sell. Never has been. It is based on what investors see as the long term potential of the company and its ability to disrupt the auto industry. Also, a lot of the money Tesla does bring in is in the form of sale of Zero Emissions Credits to automakers unable to generate enough of their own credits. That will continue.
I want Tesla to keep building cars like they do but i think its about to get tough on them and will effect stocks , lets see in a year or month for that .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #83
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Sad to see him go. I'm not sure the market is ready for the influx of EV's these manufactures are about to put out. I think it's barely 1% of new car sales so Al is taking a risk, and I'm sure being paid more for it. I can see 25% market share in 10 years, even more in the small car/SUV categories for city runabouts. What is odd to me is GM will no longer make the volt, due to slow sales, and I've only seen one Bolt in person, so I doubt it's selling well. Yet they keep allocating money towards these EV's. Why not use that cash to make the Cruze, which did sell quite a few units, more competitive?
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #84
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
The big question is if this is a promotion because they want him as a trusted person for the EVs, or if they were really unhappy with the 6th Gen and especially the refresh so they wanted someone else in charge