Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Let's talk about serious weight reduction

I wonder if it's possible to lose 500 pounds and still be able to be drive it on the street somewhat... have glass in the windows..
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Speedholes.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
NickyRacerBoy

Loose all AC parts. Loose all air bags. Install 2 racing seats. Loose rear seat. Lighter 18" rims, racing slicks.
Lets make a list
Old 09-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Carbon fiber decklid, doors, and fenders if all are available. Wheels aswell.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:23 AM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Go find Robert Weathers on FB, he has a yellow 1LE that has went thru just about every bolt on and prototype mod you can put on a 1LE.

He is running Carbon Fiber hood, front fenders, and doors. he also has some super light 19" wheels, after-market MRC dampers along with a bunch of other lighter than stock things I cant remember.

He has his car down to around 35xx lbs.

Short of pulling every bit of the interior not needed I think it is going to be hard to get much further under 35xx lbs. As said, pulling the HVAC system, rear seats and panels might get another 100lbs off of the car.

If I had to guess I would bet Robert has at least an additional $20k into his car over the purchase price.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:36 AM   #6
Atlas24601

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Doubt its possible to lose 500lbs without either spending more than the car cost to begin with on super expensive exotic material parts or just totally stripping the car down. The easy places to start would be lightweight wheels, a lightweight battery, a rear seat delete kit, and removing the passenger seat for the track.

Im nowhere near good enough of a driver for any of this to make a real world difference though. Like 99.9% of people I couldnt even drive a much weaker power/weight ratio Miata to its full potential on the track. Be honest with yourself. If the goal is to go faster would the money be better spent on trackday costs and professional instruction or this?
Atlas24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Howe Camaro
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #8
NickyRacerBoy

[QUOTE=TrackClub;10306941]Howe Camaro

I'd like to race scca in the T1 class
Old 09-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
I made a collected list of parts weight in the road course section.
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas24601 View Post
Doubt its possible to lose 500lbs without either spending more than the car cost to begin with on super expensive exotic material parts or just totally stripping the car down. The easy places to start would be lightweight wheels, a lightweight battery, a rear seat delete kit, and removing the passenger seat for the track.

Im nowhere near good enough of a driver for any of this to make a real world difference though. Like 99.9% of people I couldnt even drive a much weaker power/weight ratio Miata to its full potential on the track. Be honest with yourself. If the goal is to go faster would the money be better spent on trackday costs and professional instruction or this?

Definitely appreciate your input. At this point I feel like I'm pushing the car maybe not to its maximum but definitely pretty hard. I'm not sure how much faster I can go with total weight of me and the car at 4000 pounds. Not sure if you're familiar with lap times at lightning and Thunderbolt and New Jersey Motorsports Park but at lightning I can circulate in the 1 minute 11 second mark mark
Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
I wonder if it's possible to lose 500 pounds and still be able to be drive it on the street somewhat... have glass in the windows..
I think 500 lbs would be pretty tough. 200-300 should be do-able, but you won't have a whole lot of creature comforts and plenty of exposed metal. Think no interior, no dash either, carpet, headliner, and sound insulation gone, one seat. Ditching all emissions nonsense. All HVAC except some sort of windshield defogger. All entertainment. Track car so you won't need door windows/regulators.

Are you doing a cage? +lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas24601 View Post

Judging by his videos, weight reduction is a reasonable next step.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I think 500 lbs would be pretty tough. 200-300 should be do-able, but you won't have a whole lot of creature comforts and plenty of exposed metal. Think no interior, no dash either, carpet, headliner, and sound insulation gone, one seat. Ditching all emissions nonsense. All HVAC except some sort of windshield defogger. All entertainment. Track car so you won't need door windows/regulators.

Are you doing a cage? +lbs

Judging by his videos, weight reduction is a reasonable next step.

I know this sounds stupid but I love having the option of Cruz in my car on the street but if I do this I seen in the video that's over

Last edited by NickyRacerBoy; 09-11-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #13
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Loose all AC parts. Loose all air bags. Install 2 racing seats. Loose rear seat. Lighter 18" rims, racing slicks.
Lets make a list
You'll have a tough time making it past tech with all that loose stuff in your car. You'd be better to lose it than loosen it.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
People always miss the easiest and cheapest way to lose pounds. Look at the driver, not the vehicle. You'll find a decent amount of pounds that can be lost, and it's free.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote