Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #43
Papa Smurf
Cobalt SS Owner to Camaro

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
Not sure if I've read that 93 octane is recommended anywhere. I have however read that premium fuel is..........where I live 91 works just fine.
Just my tuppence if we are talking 'savings'.
Regards my fellow winter Camaro users.........
Wow bro. your scaring me. You need to read your owners manual. You own a turbocharged Camaro. It clearly says in the manual that turbocharged camaros requires 93 Octane. PLEASE READ IT OR GOOGLE IT. It also states in the manual the harm you are doing to the vehicle when you do otherwise. If you put anything less then 93 octane in it will cause an engine knock, cracked piston, decrease mpg and performance. So regarding Longevity on our turbo Camaros. I advice u immediately put 93 in and if u cant then I would try to find race fuel somewhere in your state to put in once a month like a gallon of 100 octane. Even my cobalt ss supercharged owner manual recommended 93. Best of luck to you and safe driving
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #44
Ottawaguy2018

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
Wow bro. your scaring me. You need to read your owners manual. You own a turbocharged Camaro. It clearly says in the manual that turbocharged camaros requires 93 Octane. PLEASE READ IT OR GOOGLE IT. It also states in the manual the harm you are doing to the vehicle when you do otherwise. If you put anything less then 93 octane in it will cause an engine knock, cracked piston, decrease mpg and performance. So regarding Longevity on our turbo Camaros. I advice u immediately put 93 in and if u cant then I would try to find race fuel somewhere in your state to put in once a month like a gallon of 100 octane. Even my cobalt ss supercharged owner manual recommended 93. Best of luck to you and safe driving
I watched a thing on TV once about a guy with a Corvette who used normal gas vs premium. He didn't understand that it was bad for your engine. At the end of the program he recommended that no one use higher octane gas in any vehicle.

I just remember thinking "that guy is going to be responsible for a ton of people having engine problems thanks to his recommendation"
Ottawaguy2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #45
Tankman

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0 Turbo
Quote:
Well here’s the thing: never seen anything higher than 91 in southern Alberta or even in northern Montana so there’s a problem right there! Not got my manual to hand but so far 91 is perfect.
Tankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #46
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
Well here’s the thing: never seen anything higher than 91 in southern Alberta or even in northern Montana so there’s a problem right there! Not got my manual to hand but so far 91 is perfect.
2016 manual recommends 91 premium.

2017 manual recommends 93 premium.

V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #47
Papa Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaguy2018 View Post
I watched a thing on TV once about a guy with a Corvette who used normal gas vs premium. He didn't understand that it was bad for your engine. At the end of the program he recommended that no one use higher octane gas in any vehicle.

I just remember thinking "that guy is going to be responsible for a ton of people having engine problems thanks to his recommendation"
Lmaooo. OMG that's awful. Are you serious? That TV broadcast mind as well have said put water in the damn sports car lol. What is this world we live in today!? It's common sense people. Don't get me started on Fully synthetic oil versus regular oil. Please people feed yours cars wine, not water.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #48
Papa Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
2016 manual recommends 91 premium.

2017 manual recommends 93 premium.

Why would gm do that. It's same specs, performance in the turbo camaro for 16 and 17 models. That's hard to believe. I'll have to research this more. Not saying your wrong
Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #49
V8RWD

Quote:
Why would gm do that. It's same specs, performance in the turbo camaro for 16 and 17 models. That's hard to believe. I'll have to research this more. Not saying your wrong
2016 Manual
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ro1stPrint.pdf - Page 235
It does not list 2.0T for some reason. But have a look at the 6.2L. Recommends 91 or higher.

2017 Manual
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ro1stPrint.pdf - Page 24 & 250
2.0T finally listed, and lumped together with 6.2L. Specifically calls for 93.

For hecks..

2018 Manual
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf - Page 25 & 243
Pretty much same as 2017
Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #50
Papa Smurf

Quote:
2016 Manual
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ro1stPrint.pdf - Page 235
It does not list 2.0T for some reason. But have a look at the 6.2L. Recommends 91 or higher.

2017 Manual
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ro1stPrint.pdf - Page 24 & 250
2.0T finally listed, and lumped together with 6.2L. Specifically calls for 93.

For hecks..

2018 Manual
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf - Page 25 & 243
Pretty much same as 2017
That's highly interesting and peculiar to me. Seems odd with same engine and turbo it would change fuel octane ever so oddly just because its a 16 and nt a 17.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #51
Ottawaguy2018

Quote:
That's highly interesting and peculiar to me. Seems odd with same engine and turbo it would change fuel octane ever so oddly just because its a 16 and nt a 17.
could be the same engine but tuned differently
Old 03-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #52
Ottawaguy2018

Quote:
Lmaooo. OMG that's awful. Are you serious? That TV broadcast mind as well have said put water in the damn sports car lol. What is this world we live in today!? It's common sense people. Don't get me started on Fully synthetic oil versus regular oil. Please people feed yours cars wine, not water.
Yeah and that is in a Corvette with a 6.2L V8.
The problem was that he put regular gas in and put it on the dino and did some normal day to day driving and then conclusively said "don't waste your money".

He didn't show the effects over time. But imagine how many idiots are going to see that and think using normal gas is fine.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:01 AM   #53
V8RWD

Quote:
I honestly don't think it really matters. 91, 93... even for the turbo. Plenty of turbo cars run with 91 octane just fine.

There's a lot of things in the owner's manual that we do not follow to the tee.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #54
Papa Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaguy2018 View Post
Yeah and that is in a Corvette with a 6.2L V8.
The problem was that he put regular gas in and put it on the dino and did some normal day to day driving and then conclusively said "don't waste your money".

He didn't show the effects over time. But imagine how many idiots are going to see that and think using normal gas is fine.
That's so insane to me. A VETTE!? Oh u didn't tell me that. I'm cracking up. Yes, at the time, no harm to foul sir. but over time, lol, the Performance/Longevity of the vehicle will be GAME OVER.

I watched a video one time of a guy in a corvette doing a burn out and all this smoke was pouring out from back of car, but it wasn't from the tires, was frorm the clutch. LMAO
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #55
Papa Smurf

Quote:
I honestly don't think it really matters. 91, 93... even for the turbo. Plenty of turbo cars run with 91 octane just fine.

There's a lot of things in the owner's manual that we do not follow to the tee.
91 is still premium. But like I said before, even my 07 cobalt supercharged ss required 93, said in manual. So I did my entire ownership. And that thing ran 151k miles, 2 accidents, a deer, 11 years of abuse. Before I traded it in for a new Camaro ($3k trade-in)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #56
V8RWD

Quote:
91 is still premium. But like I said before, even my 07 cobalt supercharged ss required 93, said in manual. So I did my entire ownership. And that thing ran 151k miles, 2 accidents, a deer, 11 years of abuse. Before I traded it in for a new Camaro ($3k trade-in)
Mad respect to that Cobalt sir.

This is my first Chevy. Don't throw shit at me, but I am actually a Toyota guy.

98 GS400. 91 Octane, or whatever as available. 360,000km. Abused badly. Did not follow what was in the owners manual. Only out of band work I did was replace thermostat, tranny fluid gasket and a rubber moulding on the bottom of the door. Gave it to a friend after the alternator died lol

Too many Toyota doesn't make any cool cars anymore... just godamn appliances. Perfect for transporting kids to and from daycare though...