Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
schul590

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Fuel Help Sunoco E15

Hi I'm new to this forum I have a question I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere and I'm hoping someone can help me, I have a 2013 2SS/RS with LT headers, CAI, no cats and a dyno tune for 93, I'm wondering if It would hurt my motor to run Sunoco E15 Green blend racing fuel because there is extra fuel at work I can take if I want and I don't know if it's gonna hurt my car to run it, biggest concern being the fact that it's E15 98 octane unleaded oxygenated fuel, if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated
schul590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I can't help with your answer, but hopefully DSX, DynoSteve, Janetty or someone reputable can chime in!

Welcome to the site btw!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If it's oxygenated...no. Oxygenated will run leaner. In race cars, usually need to go up a couple jet sizes.

If it's unleaded...maybe put in a couple gallons to each full tank. That little percent won't mean anything... other than free fuel. But I wouldn't run a full tank of oxygenated fuel on a non oxygenated tune.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
schul590

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
If it's oxygenated...no. Oxygenated will run leaner. In race cars, usually need to go up a couple jet sizes.

If it's unleaded...maybe put in a couple gallons to each full tank. That little percent won't mean anything... other than free fuel. But I wouldn't run a full tank of oxygenated fuel on a non oxygenated tune.

Okay, well I made the mistake of asking my tuner and forgot to tell him it's okygenated so he told me it should be fine so I put in 3/4 of a tank and 1/4 tank of regular to dilute it a little but now I'm worried I'm gonna blow my motor
schul590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Your kind of stating a double negative; oxygenated is ethanol blended fuel versus non oxygenated as with out ethanol so your using normal almost amount of a ethanol blend for where I am from with about 10% usually as well it sucks....not a pure power maker unless more pure and then not on the gas mileage any more cost efficient really but with a ethanol set up say for e-85 and the appropriate fuel lines and pump and tune OK.....
'The green part of the equation is the ethanol as they think of it as green even though the friggin change to adding ethanol in gas caused like 50 years worth of greenhouse emissions from turning all the soil to plant the corn...a farmers boom and BS to those of use real motorheads. You have 98 octane which should help with not any knock and well excess actually for the octane rating....And BTW all gas has some oxygen content even pure gas........and usually is thought of as the additive though...take it from a old motorhead or read up.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygenate

'Its no big deal you just have higher than normal ethanol our computers have a knock retard built into to avoid hurting the engine and would just pull timing if you ran crapolla fuel and thus why one thing on here is the fuel table reset by pulling a fuse to force relearning from low grade fuels to get to the higher octane fuel rating, there have been many posts on this especially with dealerships using low grades for the car from the lot being cheap. Anyway remember good old Ethyl? that's top of the line non oxygenated gas higher octane and the bomb for a good old engine, now a days though you can hardly find it anywhere and engines are made for the ethanol crap and even now small engines though its bad for them and varnishes them with the additive if not used regularly or a stabilizer added....You should be more worried if you and in-oxygenated...LOL its the norm now in other words and sucks because its hard on gaskets and such in all small engines....and your tuner if you told him most likely would have said; of course your running oxygenated.....????? its simply helps the other fuel burn more completely making lower emissions....... Now if you were like way high on the ethanol you would want to run richer and the mileage would go down but power could be up some.... Read up. Adding ethanol is a big Lie to being environmentally friendly also BTW as those 50 years is how long it would take to run ethanol in all cars to overcome the damage done just growing the corn..... just to supposedly save a little emissions...because greenies matter to liberals for votes...and are especially vulnerable and stupid....
'
http://www.ewg.org/release/ewg-congr...s#.WbCdzrpFy70
'
http://www.mintpressnews.com/leaked-...onment/187530/ And BTW I know you do not need that high of a octane rating either....

Last edited by christianchevell; 09-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #6
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by schul590 View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum I have a question I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere and I'm hoping someone can help me, I have a 2013 2SS/RS with LT headers, CAI, no cats and a dyno tune for 93, I'm wondering if It would hurt my motor to run Sunoco E15 Green blend racing fuel because there is extra fuel at work I can take if I want and I don't know if it's gonna hurt my car to run it, biggest concern being the fact that it's E15 98 octane unleaded oxygenated fuel, if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated

Long story short..... Is E15 going to hurt? NO. Although Sunoco has it labeled as a highly oxygenated fuel it's far from it. We have a lot left over every week here too. All the truck drivers fill their trucks with it all the time. I tried it a few years back when we made the switch and I had literally no difference on my WB sensor. Sunoco E15 did not pick up anything performance wise. Now there are other O2 fuels out there that will work, make power and require a lot of fuel added to your tune. It also ranges from $14 to $20 a gallon depending where you get it from. With you in Mooresville, there is a place close by that has it in stock. Pm me if you want more info.

Tags
engine, fuel, gas