Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Street Tuning

It been a few years since I've done anything to require a tune. Back in the day it was find the dyno shop you were going to use and go with the programmer brand they used or recommended and have a good put a good tune on you vehicle. But paying for an updated tune everytime you throw a new mod at your car gets annoying and costly.

Lately (over the last 3-5 years let's say) from reading on different forums it seems doing your own custom tunes on the street has become more popular. People act like it's pretty easy to do, but IDK. I mean I sure wouldn't want to ruin a new motor messing with something I shouldn't without more knowledge. How easy and safe is it to get into tuning.

I was looking at this site.
https://thetuningschool.com/collections/online-courses

Anyone here who doesn't work in a performance shop learn how to tune on your (or others) cars? Is it pretty easy to learn?
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no tuning a LT1 is not for a beginner. HP tuners is the only way to go. the others are crap. just get it dyno tuned by a shop that specializes in modern GM. The LT1 is a whole new animal when it comes to tuning. it should be left to a pro. If you do go with a remote or email tune you will need a HP Tuners MPVI2 and a wide band o2 gauge to tune the car properly. Your going to have $600 in hardware to do a street tune + $200 for credits + labor. or you could pay a dyno tuner $400 for the labor. + $200 for the 4 credits you need. Once you buy the credits you dont have to buy them again as long as you go to the same tuner. most tuners charge $150 for labor on retunes. If you buy your own MPVI2 ($299) you own the credits and can take it to any tuner. and they should only charge labor.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
This ^
Old 02-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
I purchased the tuning school material a while back and actually am reading through it as we speak. It is great material but you definitely will be no pro once you read through it, tuning is a trial an error type of thing as every engine performs differently. However it is a good starting point and i hope to be able to start tuning on my own in the near future. just takes time and dedication to get it down. I might go back and read the older GM material as well as these Gen V LT1's are more complex when it comes to the torque management tables.

It does get costly for more tunes between mods which in my situation I went ahead and did everything at once. For example, I went FBO heads and cam with one tune, my issue was finding the right tuner. not many people out there are educated enough on these vehicles. Turns out my first tuner tuned my car just like my dads 06 GTO, like we literally had the same setup but my car was surging like a MF. anyway, have to pay to play. Great thing about tuning school is they will provide support up to 1 year after you buy there stuff so you will always have a helping hand on your side.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
no tuning a LT1 is not for a beginner. HP tuners is the only way to go. the others are crap. just get it dyno tuned by a shop that specializes in modern GM. The LT1 is a whole new animal when it comes to tuning. it should be left to a pro. If you do go with a remote or email tune you will need a HP Tuners MPVI2 and a wide band o2 gauge to tune the car properly. Your going to have $600 in hardware to do a street tune + $200 for credits + labor. or you could pay a dyno tuner $400 for the labor. + $200 for the 4 credits you need. Once you buy the credits you dont have to buy them again as long as you go to the same tuner. most tuners charge $150 for labor on retunes. If you buy your own MPVI2 ($299) you own the credits and can take it to any tuner. and they should only charge labor.

can i ask why we need the Wide band o2 Guage for a tune? is it for e85 reading?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
can i ask why we need the Wide band o2 Guage for a tune? is it for e85 reading?
its to get an air/fuel ratio in your data logs so your tuner knows where it is at. essential to tune properly.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby23 View Post
its to get an air/fuel ratio in your data logs so your tuner knows where it is at. essential to tune properly.
but you can data log that in hp tuners as well???
Old 02-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
but you can data log that in hp tuners as well???
you'll add the gauge / table in hptuners to read it but you'll need the AFR gauge hooked up to allow that in HPTuners.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I would go Remote tune from a proven tuner from guys like Pray or GPI before I ever consider a dyno tune from a local shop with no proven results. Gen 5 is a different animal to tune compared to older gen 3 & 4 LS stuff. Aside from that, There is no way I would modify a car and run it based on blind faith that my tuner has it properly sorted. Any good tuner would agree and suggest you learn how to data log and keep a eye on how the car is performing.

That being said, Dyno tuning gets the car close, but it still needs logged on the track or street to verify things are properly sorted. Dyno does not simulate real world driving conditions...Also it often takes several revisions to get certain things dialed in depending on how radical the setup is. Basic bolt-on setup likely won't need much...a basic one for all base tune with a few tweaks will get a lightly modded car sorted pretty fast.

Far as learning tuning...it's pretty steep. I started with LS. The easiest way for me was reading tutorials and HPt forums. I then purchased base tunes and compared changes from the stock calibration and started connecting the dots based on my research and the data points that were changed. It's a very time consuming process. Gen 5 even more so because very few are willing to share any info on the these platforms.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Far as learning tuning...it's pretty steep. I started with LS. The easiest way for me was reading tutorials and HPt forums. I then purchased base tunes and compared changes from the stock calibration and started connecting the dots based on my research and the data points that were changed. It's a very time consuming process. Gen 5 even more so because very few are willing to share any info on the these platforms.

I second the motion on "time consuming" but if your dedicated and want to do that, then your going down the right path. Get an O2 welded in. You'll have more boxes to check than with the LTG turbo 2 it has the O2 built in from the factory.

I'm LTG with FBO and just upgraded the stock turbo. Good times!

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Good advice guys. I wish I had tried this when I still had my 02 SS. I'm guess there was more room for era before biting you hard as like y'all said the GEN5 is a different animal. More compression, more RPM, more systems, etc. If you're tuning a cammed car how do the really good tuners get a fairly smooth and streetable idle with a fairly aggressive cam?

Are you just tuning to the A/F ratio cure? So if you start to get on it wi0hile tuning and you see the curve start shooting off the optimal course you just let of and adjust your tuning to bring the curve to where you want it?

I though about try with my Lightning but if you're off on a tune on a L you can vent a block with the quickness. They didn't come with Manley H-Beams or GT500 rods and do not play well at all with detonation.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote