Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
Flying24
 
Flying24's Avatar
 
Drives: Orange Crush 2021 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Waldorf, Maryland
Posts: 58
Suspension weak spots, OEM Pads?

I'm switching from the Corvette Z06 world for the last 10 years
Just got a 2021 ZL1 1LE and I'm looking it over while I'm breaking it in. Has anyone had any problems with any of the suspension components. I know it's built for the track already, but looking at the rear trailing arms they look like they're flimsy.
Also is everyone setting up there alignments per the Camaro High performance manual for the track?
OEM brake pads, are they track worthy.
New guy appreciates any guidance
Flying24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
BMR Tech
 
BMR Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying24 View Post
I'm switching from the Corvette Z06 world for the last 10 years
Just got a 2021 ZL1 1LE and I'm looking it over while I'm breaking it in. Has anyone had any problems with any of the suspension components. I know it's built for the track already, but looking at the rear trailing arms they look like they're flimsy.
Also is everyone setting up there alignments per the Camaro High performance manual for the track?
OEM brake pads, are they track worthy.
New guy appreciates any guidance
The upper trailing arms, upper control arms and the lower trailing arms are all stamped steel. The tow rods are stronger, but we have seen cars damage the cam bolt locating tabs for the toe setting.
BMR Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
rotis
 
rotis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Scappoose, OR
Posts: 405
I don't know of anyone who has broken rear trailing arms. Certainly not something that's going to happen with a stock car. OEM pads are OK depending on the track. The stock brake fluid is not, and should be replaced with a high temp dot 4.

Pretty much do what it says in the track prep guide, and the car will be fine.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #4
20Bluezl1

 
Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NJ
Posts: 957
If you want to replace any suspension components look into SPL they make amazing products. Couple of guys including myself have switched over to SPL.
Attached Images
  
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:41 PM   #5
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler
 
Bumbleboy92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT v6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
The upper trailing arms, upper control arms and the lower trailing arms are all stamped steel. The tow rods are stronger, but we have seen cars damage the cam bolt locating tabs for the toe setting.
I’m one of those guys lol, car smacked front left then rear left wheel hit concrete median. Had to get new bolts and toe arm for the side since the bolt was stuck in the arm. Also had to get a shop to weld new tabs

Name:  740AA895-1ABC-4DDA-BE1F-9B70E906ED05.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  184.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
If you want to replace any suspension components look into SPL they make amazing products. Couple of guys including myself have switched over to SPL.
SPL looks very nice but that price kills me lol. I got a BMR lower arm and Meganracing toe arm, for my case of daily driving I feel like the metal/metal would get to me
__________________
Car Journal

Overkill Tune 93 AFM Off - K&N CAI - Ported 80mm Throttle Body - Ported Intake Manifold - 4 Piston Brembos - FE3 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - BMR Lower Control Arms - MeganRacing Toe Arms - ZL1 Factory Axle-Back

Happiness: Infinite.

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 03-13-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
Msquared

 
Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 821
The stock parts are plenty strong enough. They only have to react loads in tension and compression. Their stiffness in bending doesn't matter at all, and you want them to be flimsy in torsion since they use axial bearings but need degrees of freedom in other axes as well. If they were uber-stiff in torsion they would add undesirable bind.

There are good reasons for some people to switch to aftermarket suspension links, but strength isn't one of them. I mean, nobody really thinks GM would release a car with suspension links that are too weak to hold up to severe use, right? Mainly you'd do it to remove the impreciseness of the factory rubber axial bushings and replace them with spherical bearings, and to get a stronger type of adjustment than the factory eccentrics and a wider range of adjustment.
__________________
Matt Miller
2020 SS 1LE
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
Evansa22
 
Evansa22's Avatar
 
Drives: HBM ZLE
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
The stock parts are plenty strong enough. They only have to react loads in tension and compression. Their stiffness in bending doesn't matter at all, and you want them to be flimsy in torsion since they use axial bearings but need degrees of freedom in other axes as well. If they were uber-stiff in torsion they would add undesirable bind.

There are good reasons for some people to switch to aftermarket suspension links, but strength isn't one of them. I mean, nobody really thinks GM would release a car with suspension links that are too weak to hold up to severe use, right? Mainly you'd do it to remove the impreciseness of the factory rubber axial bushings and replace them with spherical bearings, and to get a stronger type of adjustment than the factory eccentrics and a wider range of adjustment.
Very much agree with your last statement, main reason to add would be add adjustability as well as change the way the rear toe rods are adjusted. Personally added the toe rods because one of my cam washer tabs was bent and alignment would slip relatively easy. Removing the bushings and adding spherical heims helps remove deflection and keeps the car consistent through the turns or is my understanding.

Also front castor was 6.4 on the left and 7.4 on the right stock. Added the front tension rods specifically to address this. Other than those two things, stock suspension does very well
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
Yippee38
 
Yippee38's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
The stock parts are plenty strong enough.
I obviously disagree.

I drove to work on Tuesday, drove home on Thursday and the car was fine. I drove the car to work yesterday and I was getting a violent right-left-right shift in the rear end under hard acceleration and going over bumps. I got it up on jackstands today, and found this on the right rear. That's the lower trailing link. BTW, this is a 2018 2SS 1LE. Never tracked. Never drag raced. Only driven on the road....hard.


__________________
Yippee38
Yippee38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #9
Alpha1BC

 
Alpha1BC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
I obviously disagree.

I drove to work on Tuesday, drove home on Thursday and the car was fine. I drove the car to work yesterday and I was getting a violent right-left-right shift in the rear end under hard acceleration and going over bumps. I got it up on jackstands today, and found this on the right rear. That's the lower trailing link. BTW, this is a 2018 2SS 1LE. Never tracked. Never drag raced. Only driven on the road....hard.


What happened? Seems like you hit something in a way it shouldn't have been hit? I've seen these cars take an absolute thrashing on the track and street (potholes included) and the only time I've ever seen a failure like this is when the links get loaded in the wrong direction by something like hitting a curb sideways or poor trailer strapping or some other unnatural/unintended way.

As for OPs question, there's nothing special that needs to be done to run these cars reliably on the track. Suspension parts and brakes are plenty fine and the recommended track alignment is a pretty solid starting point that you can tweak after driving a bit if needed. All you need to do is flush brakes to a good DOT4 fluid, proper engine oil, and trans/diff fluid changes per the owners manual and high performance supplement. There's also a track setup guide that you can google that will tell you all the different adjustments you can make to fine-tune the handling on the track.
__________________
2017 SS 1LE.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #10
Msquared

 
Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
I obviously disagree.

I drove to work on Tuesday, drove home on Thursday and the car was fine. I drove the car to work yesterday and I was getting a violent right-left-right shift in the rear end under hard acceleration and going over bumps. I got it up on jackstands today, and found this on the right rear. That's the lower trailing link. BTW, this is a 2018 2SS 1LE. Never tracked. Never drag raced. Only driven on the road....hard.
Someone cut at least one side of that. Look how straight and smooth the rusted side is. And the rust indicates it's been like that for a while. It looks to me like it was cut on that side a while ago and then finally fatigued its way through the other side.
__________________
Matt Miller
2020 SS 1LE
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #11
Yippee38
 
Yippee38's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Someone cut at least one side of that. Look how straight and smooth the rusted side is. And the rust indicates it's been like that for a while. It looks to me like it was cut on that side a while ago and then finally fatigued its way through the other side.

I sure as hell hope that's not the case. Who the hell did I piss off enough to do that? Besides, if somebody wanted to mess with my car, there are more drastic ways to do that.

That was my first through too though. It looks like it was cut. The fact that part of it is rusted, but part is not, indicates to me that it's been tearing for a while now. It took one good bump, or hard acceleration to tear it the rest of the way.
__________________
Yippee38
Yippee38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:22 AM   #12
Yippee38
 
Yippee38's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
What happened? Seems like you hit something in a way it shouldn't have been hit? I've seen these cars take an absolute thrashing on the track and street (potholes included) and the only time I've ever seen a failure like this is when the links get loaded in the wrong direction by something like hitting a curb sideways or poor trailer strapping or some other unnatural/unintended way.
Not a damn thing. I'm the only person who drives this car (aside from a couple of free of charge services at the dealer, which happened a while ago). My wheel is in perfect shape. No damage. I have no idea how this could have happened. I don't do crazy things with the car. Hell, I still have my original Supercar 3's on it with around 45K miles (granted, it's had two winters with winter wheels/tires on it). I get on it once it a while, but not enough to roast the tires.
__________________
Yippee38
Yippee38 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.