#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 11-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #29
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I can see how my post can be ambiguous...

Basically, Im looking for a car that is comparable to the street class in Global Time Attack.
Ideally a 4 seater car.
My las car can be found on the gta home page here: https://globaltimeattack.com/news/
It was an frs and we did reasonably well, but not a car I would want to build again.

Im looking for a car that has the potential to do a 2:20 at Cota on R comps and 2:15 on slicks.
Car needs to be fast enough to make things interesting.
I also have a C5 that im building for Spec Corvette, for cheap wheel to wheel racing, so this car would be strictly for time trials, maybe some driver coaching etc.

Im considering the C7 also, but the cost of entry is really high and even looking at the 6gen Mustang also.
You want a GTA street class car... So I'm guessing you'll want a seat. So factory recaros are not needed. You'll need more power than factory. You'll have an extra set of wheels so the 1le wheel package is not needed. You will need more Aero than a ZLE package. Which in turn you'll probably run coilovers so Mag ride would go out the window. It's TA so only 1-2 laps and done.. do you really need 6pots?.. (cheap upgrade from rockauto if needed)

Does it make sense to buy a 1le first?.... I could be looking at this totally wrong but things to think about
Old 11-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #30
D K

Drives: C5
Yes, exactly.
Thats why I was questioning the worth (to me) of the 1LE package earlier.

Cheaper entry will also mean that I'm more likely to start chopping a little bit.
No way I would take a ZLE and start stripping it or anything else.

If the entry price is in the 20's, then I wont feel bad stripping the ac/hvac, seats etc.

Definitely coilovers. Either JRI or MCS what I have found so far.
Pray ported intake/heads, cam and headers.
I also want to run 18" wheels so I'm not sure if the 1LE brakes will even clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
You want a GTA street class car... So I'm guessing you'll want a seat. So factory recaros are not needed. You'll need more power than factory. You'll have an extra set of wheels so the 1le wheel package is not needed. You will need more Aero than a ZLE package. Which in turn you'll probably run coilovers so Mag ride would go out the window. It's TA so only 1-2 laps and done.. do you really need 6pots?.. (cheap upgrade from rockauto if needed)

Does it make sense to buy a 1le first?.... I could be looking at this totally wrong but things to think about
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #31
That1guy_tim

Quote:
Yes, exactly.
Thats why I was questioning the worth (to me) of the 1LE package earlier.

Cheaper entry will also mean that I'm more likely to start chopping a little bit.
No way I would take a ZLE and start stripping it or anything else.

If the entry price is in the 20's, then I wont feel bad stripping the ac/hvac, seats etc.

Definitely coilovers. Either JRI or MCS what I have found so far.
Pray ported intake/heads, cam and headers.
I also want to run 18" wheels so I'm not sure if the 1LE brakes will even clear?
Apex does make a 18" wheel that will clear the 1le 6pot
Old 11-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #32
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
While gen6 is a superb track car, i would not consider it a race/competition car per se, especially that weight reductions dont seem easy to accomplish without spending tons of money replacing components vs just gutting.

Looking at Fastest Laps sticky (above), getting to the COTA target laptimes may be difficult?

I suppose any decent car can be made to go fast, if enough money gets thrown at it. I would defo not start with an SS 1LE as all the components that make it a 1LE "darling" would need to come out - so why spend extra $.

Bottom line, i would start with a lighter package and without paying a penalty for upgraded OEM components.
Zero idea how Global Time Attack classes work, or what the budget is, so really cannot offer any further advice, other than id start with a lighter platform.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #33
D K

Yes, I agree on starting with a lower weight platform, but it almost seems that options are running out.
I don't want to build another FRS, and most other lighter platforms are getting old and expensive.
Sure, if I found a Lotus Elise, I would swap it with something that made power, but it ends up being a lot of work and pretty expensive.

The attraction of a more common, new chassis, is that they are more plentiful and the chassis dynamics are better.
Obviously, having and LT engine is a huge plus, since they can be made to make decent power for relatively little money and more importantly - simply and keeping the engine N/A.

But, I'm still looking.. havent made up my mind just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
While gen6 is a superb track car, i would not consider it a race/competition car per se, especially that weight reductions dont seem easy to accomplish without spending tons of money replacing components vs just gutting.

Looking at Fastest Laps sticky (above), getting to the COTA target laptimes may be difficult?

I suppose any decent car can be made to go fast, if enough money gets thrown at it. I would defo not start with an SS 1LE as all the components that make it a 1LE "darling" would need to come out - so why spend extra $.

Bottom line, i would start with a lighter package and without paying a penalty for upgraded OEM components.
Zero idea how Global Time Attack classes work, or what the budget is, so really cannot offer any further advice, other than id start with a lighter platform.

Cheers!
Old 11-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #34
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
If I got the regular SS, I would probably swP out the lsd anyway, to something like an os giken, or any of the other clutch type options.

I can usually tune a mechanical diff pretty good with friction modifier and having the right preload set, but it will be for one particular grip level, not like the elsd magic that the 1le seems to be all about.
That's exactly my point: that option doesn't exist with the standard SS, clutch LSD... the ring gear is welded to the differential carrier. Because of that, no aftermarket company has developed a replacement limited slip differential. No TrueTrac, no Torsen, no OSGIKEN, no Wavetrac. Nothing but factory-set clutch-type.

There were serious conversations started with, I believe, OSGIKEN and there was to be some R&D, but I don't think anything really got off the ground - a company would have to also get a ring and pinion developed, too.

If you look at the Camaro GT4.R, it uses an Xtrac rear axle unit and not anything factory (not even a factory housing).
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #35
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
If GTA is your target, I would look at the tire rules for the class you want to run, and figure out what platform maximizes the available tire. The recent rule changes seem to have seriously handicapped previously competitive cars.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #36
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Yes, I agree on starting with a lower weight platform, but it almost seems that options are running out.
I don't want to build another FRS, and most other lighter platforms are getting old and expensive.
Sure, if I found a Lotus Elise, I would swap it with something that made power, but it ends up being a lot of work and pretty expensive.

The attraction of a more common, new chassis, is that they are more plentiful and the chassis dynamics are better.
Obviously, having and LT engine is a huge plus, since they can be made to make decent power for relatively little money and more importantly - simply and keeping the engine N/A.

But, I'm still looking.. havent made up my mind just yet.
The Alpha chassis is excellent, but ripping it apart kinda negates this point imo. C7 Z51 has the same engine (well, not exactly, as it is dry sump), but weighs 300lb less to start with. But, not sure re any rim/tire size limitations vs a wide body GS.

NB My bud in PA built a C5 race car with high revving 650hp NA LS3, full aero, suspension and weight reductions. The car is stupid fast and seems really easy on tires (A7s). Frankly, even after all these years, a stock C5 on slicks is really fast and easily made into a sub 3000lb incl a cage. Easy to drop a Katech motor in one too. Or even a GM Performance crate version of an LS3 (plus a dry sump of course).

Dont wanna talk ya out of a Camaro, but research is gold Best of luck and cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #37
That1guy_tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
If GTA is your target, I would look at the tire rules for the class you want to run, and figure out what platform maximizes the available tire. The recent rule changes seem to have seriously handicapped previously competitive cars.
I believe 285 is max tire width now.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #38
D K

Its 295 Advan 052 but yeah...

You go with a lighter platform and the widest tire you can fit is a 245

This whole thing is ffukked

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
I believe 285 is max tire width now.