Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
You are tracking on the HP1000's regularly? Aren't they good for 650 degrees max? I've gotten pad fade at fast autocrosses on the stock pads.
Yep zero issues here at 7 different venues over 4 seasons at pretty good pace. Never have experienced any fade with them and i sure as heck dont brake early
I am not alone here btw and know at least one very fast ZLE on stockers as well. Temp is relative mostly based on how much heat a pad will emit. At the very least, it is closely related. Higher torque pads MUST be able to withstand much higher temps as they emit tons more heat and otherwise would fade very quickly.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #16
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
Interesting that they are working for you. Everything I've read is that the stock pads are for street and light track use. I guess that protects against boiled fluid when the pad fades prior to that. Good work and probably more sound advice for folks that are new to tracking than the typical super sticky track pad.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
TrackClub

Quote:
Interesting that they are working for you. Everything I've read is that the stock pads are for street and light track use. I guess that protects against boiled fluid when the pad fades prior to that. Good work and probably more sound advice for folks that are new to tracking than the typical super sticky track pad.
Well, that's internet for ya

Clearly, i would not classify them as race pads, then again i would not classify our brakes as "race" level capable either. So imo they provide a good match for the stock system et al for track sessons up to 45mins. From a performance and feel perspective stockers feel almost identical to xp10s imo (which i have tried on my previous 1le and i went thru them much faster).

I push my car pretty good at instructor/solo/race level, dont ever do any cool down laps mid sessions and have no issues keeping up (or better) with mid level Club race cars on Hoosiers. So, obviously my braking performance is not suffering per se.

I had run my 1st 1LE for 3 yrs and 60 track days with zero issues and zero maintenance to any of the components, and my calipers looked brand new when i traded my car.

And as i had said, many other fast drivers use stockers. Best example being Sean and his ZLE who occupies top spots in Fastest Laps. If somebody beats Sean because of high torque pads - let us know

Having said that, much depends on one's skill regarding effective trail braking. Imho. And there is zero doubt in my mind, that grabbier pads will make that more difficult to accomplish even for a seasoned driver, being harder to modulate thru pedal pressure, including reaching threshold braking without lock ups (especially on non slick type track tires). Let's not forget, race cars demand about 150lb of pedal pressure under threshold braking.
But, race cars have super sticky tires and tons of aero, which increase grip under braking to completely different levels. Even race pad manufacturers (not to be confused with retail resellers!) recommend medium torque pads for race cars on harder compounds and less aero.
Well, we have almost no aero in comparison and most of us run street track tires.

We all know that braking is the most difficult part of it all. Therefore, my vote will always go for a pad that can help making it easier vs more difficult, while providing sufficient stopping power and not frying things.

A pad that i may try is a DS2500 as its price is the same if not lower, while the torque is slightly higher. If i ran GP type venues only, i would also try 1.11, but i run a lot of intermediate type venues where cooling is a challenge.
So, spending more $ on pads, plus cooling mods only to run such a pad is not in my plans for hopefully obvious reasons.

Sorry about the novel Cheers!
Old 11-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Stockers. Id likely try DS1.11 if i had a need to start braking earlier to improve my pace.
But i dont, as i make up for it under trail braking. Plus the value is good for my wallet and all consumables affected by extra heat. However, once i run thru my current supply i may give DS2500 a try as a slight step up from stockers and see how i like em.
I really recommend you try the PSTD pads that i've been running. They feel slightly more torquey than the stockers and are much cheaper People love to talk crap on them, but i think alot of that comes from the confusion with Powerstops low dust ceramic pads sucking.

Also you are about the only person that I've heard doesn't like ST43s on this car or a vette. They all say they aren't rough on rotors either.

Quote:
I've gotten pad fade at fast autocrosses on the stock pads.
Sorry, even if you are getting second at Autocross Nats I find this very hard to believe. Maybe slightly at the end of a 60+ second course without alot of airflow for cooling, but still hard to believe.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #19
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I really recommend you try the PSTD pads that i've been running. They feel slightly more torquey than the stockers and are much cheaper People love to talk crap on them, but i think alot of that comes from the confusion with Powerstops low dust ceramic pads sucking.

Also you are about the only person that I've heard doesn't like ST43s on this car or a vette. They all say they aren't rough on rotors either.

Sorry, even if you are getting second at Autocross Nats I find this very hard to believe. Maybe slightly at the end of a 60+ second course without alot of airflow for cooling, but still hard to believe.
Thanks for your recommendation. I know you would not run crap Shoot me a link pls as i am getting nothing on "PSTD".

Regarding ST43s, much may depend on venue type. Ive run them at 4 different ones and while they did ok on longer tracks with straights and sweepers to cool them, they fried my brakes on shorter tracks. And they did do a number on my rotors - zero question here. Plus, i didnt like their on/off tendencies. I like a pad i can stomp on heavily and then modulate it by pressure during trail braking. If i were the type who has ballerina feel and then rolls the car thru the corner - maybe i would like them better. Cheers!
Old 11-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #20
TheRealJA105

Search PST1405 and PST1718. Rock Auto usually wins the price battle

I reference them as PSTD = Power Stop Track Day
Old 11-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #21
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:

aww i ran those on my 4 piston setup before i replaced them with my 6 piston zzp kit they werent bad and not too $$$ alot of dust tho holy shit
Old 11-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #23
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
aww i ran those on my 4 piston setup before i replaced them with my 6 piston zzp kit they werent bad and not too $$$ alot of dust tho holy shit
I'd recommend them for your 6 pistons too.

Did you see my earlier post about measuring the ZZP spacer for me?
Old 11-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #24
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
thanks and yes sir i did i take my wheels off and on before each track event so i can check it out but i thought you said you already have a 6 piston kit?
Old 11-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #25
AustinTXracer

Quote:
The course was not particularly long, but it was very fast. We were double driving the car, and we started getting long pedal and squishy feel after 5 laps. Maybe it was the first hard heat cycle on the stock pads, I dunno (car only had 2k miles at that time and hadn't yet done any track stuff). But it happened. They got better for the 2nd day of the same course. YMMV of course. Vid - https://youtu.be/4gZ1HewpGko
Old 11-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #26
AustinTXracer

I'm running ST43's for track stuff now and switching back to stock in between. Stock feels way more modulatable, but it is a pretty low bite pad. The ST43's are a bit too high bite for me on track. Rotors look great, but I did get a little bit of browning of the '1' on one of the front calipers on Wednesday's track night. I'll be getting the titanium shims for the next trip out. These ST43's were so expensive I figure I should at least run them down enough to not feel bad throwing them away :P Vid - https://youtu.be/h58E5hyYSR4
Old 11-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #27
TrackClub

Quote:
I'm running ST43's for track stuff now and switching back to stock in between. Stock feels way more modulatable, but it is a pretty low bite pad. The ST43's are a bit too high bite for me on track. Rotors look great, but I did get a little bit of browning of the '1' on one of the front calipers on Wednesday's track night. I'll be getting the titanium shims for the next trip out. These ST43's were so expensive I figure I should at least run them down enough to not feel bad throwing them away :P Vid - https://youtu.be/h58E5hyYSR4
Ive kept mine as spares, just in case. Mainly as nobody wanted them locally and i didnt just want to chuck them either Yes the stockers are much lower bite, but they work awesome for modulating them really deep into a corner. Ive adusted my braking a bit this season to go deeper with trail braking and gained 2 decent PBs as a result.
I also have no issues engaging ABS at times on stock tires, so....
But, i may try DS2500 and RealJA suggestion to compare, given their good price points.

Btw the symptoms you have described above indicate brake fluid problem vs pad fade. Cheers!
Old 11-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #28
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
After doing a lot of reading here about tracking and which pads to use, I decided to run stock pads. Advanced group pace with hard braking to the point of engaging ABS on a dry track. No issues at all. Use Brembo HTC64 brake fluid. Use the brake cooling deflectors that came with the car, and no heat issues or brake fade. They emit a lot of dust though. Regular SS, not 1LE brakes.