Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 11-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
+1 for stock 1LE calipers, DS1.11 pads, Motul RBF600, and Ti shims. I personally have brake ducts instead of the deflectors and this setup has been mega for me. 100% confidence every time.
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #16
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Put the shims and SS deflectors as suggested. No reason whatsoever for you to run DTC70s tho, which will put out tons of heat regardless of what you do. Id go down to DTC60s if you want more bite vs stockers. Or Ferodo 1.11.

Then, id swap the Motul for SRF and if you cannot get it, try Willwood EXP as it is VERY good.

Lastly, dont kid yourself about AP solving heat issues from high torque pads. Been there done it. Stock Brembos are mighty enough. Just reduce heat and improve brake fluid (plus shims and deflectors).

Cheers!
there are no DTCs 60 fronts available for ZL models from what i know.
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8 View Post
TrackClub I agree 100% Stock 1LE calipers, DS1.11 pads (f&r), Ti shims, SS deflectors, Motul 600. Zero fade issues, LRP, the Glen, Thompson and out brake some P$$ cars, and a lot of others etc. Manage the heat in your 1LE brakes properly and they work great.

Words of wisdom! Heat management, modulation and release qualities are usually the 3 top considerations for race teams. Also, smooth initial bite is preferred as well, to better manage weight transfer (interestingly enough this eliminates extreme torque pads from the list). Also, a venue TYPE matters TONS. If a track is relatively short, with few straights to cool down the components, but many corners (as in GMG case), running extreme torque pads is a BAD idea.

Race teams rebuild their calipers after each race. They will never reuse the same pad, or fluid. They dont use any of the street components either.
A full race brake system is a completely different animal and its cost is on a different planet as compared to what is sold to the public even as *race* upgrades.

Yet, resellers are pushing extreme torque pads to amateurs as the "newest and greatest *race* pads, without any second thought, or consideration to what stock components were designed for.

Agree that 1.11 is a good upgrade choice. Ditto DTC60.
Albeit, not without caveats.

I have zero issues outbreaking some well sorted club race cars on slicks with my stock car. That's not a surprise really, as stock pad is more than capable of engaging ABS if one brakes late and hard enough. Yes, higher torque pads may be beneficial to some drivers and some venues. But to think of them as an immediate benefit to all and at all venues is a mistake. Imo. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #18
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
+1 for stock 1LE calipers, DS1.11 pads, Motul RBF600, and Ti shims. I personally have brake ducts instead of the deflectors and this setup has been mega for me. 100% confidence every time.
+1! Where did ya get brake ducts, or did you fabricate them yourself?
Old 11-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #19
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
+1! Where did ya get brake ducts, or did you fabricate them yourself?
I managed to get a set of the Garage Therapy ones before they discontinued them

I'm also running the girodisc front rotor rings; the directional vents look smoother and larger than OEM so I imagine it's better at air evacuation but that is just pure speculation from my eyes.
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #20
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
I managed to get a set of the Garage Therapy ones before they discontinued them

I'm also running the girodisc front rotor rings; the directional vents look smoother and larger than OEM so I imagine it's better at air evacuation but that is just pure speculation from my eyes.
Got ya! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2020, 10:49 PM   #21
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
How are DS1.11s in terms of pad life, driving to and from the track, and pad taper? And caliper “brownbo” issues with them with the SS ducts?

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #22
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
there are no DTCs 60 fronts available for ZL models from what i know.
Yeah you beat me too that, only DCT60's for the rear for ZL1's
Old 11-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #23
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Put the shims and SS deflectors as suggested. No reason whatsoever for you to run DTC70s tho, which will put out tons of heat regardless of what you do. Id go down to DTC60s if you want more bite vs stockers. Or Ferodo 1.11.

Then, id swap the Motul for SRF and if you cannot get it, try Willwood EXP as it is VERY good.

Lastly, dont kid yourself about AP solving heat issues from high torque pads. Been there done it. Stock Brembos are mighty enough. Just reduce heat and improve brake fluid (plus shims and deflectors).

Cheers!
So Willwood EXP is definitely an upgrade from the two high temp Motul brake fluids?

Yeah these Hawk DCT 70 pads are very high toque, the semi-pro driver who drove my car said it brakes like a race car with "demon brakes". One of the areas I seem to be able to catch up on other cars is deeper later braking, I don't really want to lose much if any of that, Hawk claims those pads have .8mu friction up to 1400F while the Ferodo 1.11 are close to but under .5mu, I wouldn't mind something in between perhaps

Carbotech claims their XP12 are.65mu

Cobalt says their XR2 friction level is something like the DCT60 and Ferodo DS1.11 however those two pads have very different friction levels according to their manufacturers at least.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 11-05-2020 at 06:19 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #24
GunMetalGrey

Name:  carbo compound_guide_2011.gif
Views: 523
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  HawkPadChart.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  Ferodo_Chart.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  127.4 KB
Old 11-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #25
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Yeah you beat me too that, only DCT60's for the rear for ZL1's
That's a shame, but there are many top quality manufacturers out there to pick from. Id try DS1.11 with better fluid and see what happens. But, personally, i think youll have heat issues with any high torque pad as your home track hardly offers any cooling opportunities.
That's why race teams switch them up depending on thr venue, duration, etc. Cheers!

PS You dont want to find ourself with even more power and long pedal, or no pedal. Apart from it being a shitty feeling, it often ends in tears.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #26
GunMetalGrey

Name:  cobalt2.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  166.1 KB
Old 11-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #27
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
That's a shame, but there are many top quality manufacturers out there to pick from. Id try DS1.11 with better fluid and see what happens. But, personally, i think youll have heat issues with any high torque pad as your home track hardly offers any cooling opportunities.
That's why race teams switch them up depending on thr venue, duration, etc. Cheers!

PS You dont want to find ourself with even more power and long pedal, or no pedal. Apart from it being a shitty feeling, it often ends in tears.
Yeah I agree regarding the track and the feeling, it was VERY SCARY!

Just to clarify, you are saying the Willwood fluid you mentioned is better than Motul fluid I have?

I would get SRF but last time I checked I could not find it anywhere
Old 11-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #28
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
1.11 are Ferodos top longevity RACE pad. Also, dont look at cross mu comparions between manufacturers.
C7R GM Racing used Pagid Blue and that's about 0.5.

You dont need an uber high torque pad to gain pace under braking. All you need to do is continue to brake deeper while progressively releasing the pressure as you turn in. Trust me it works surprisingly well even with stock pads. From your vids your braking has gone to a new level for sure (and you have been rewarded for it handsomely), but you still have tons of opportunities there.