Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 12-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Bwrin

Drives: Camaro
Oil Level Inconsistent

What is up with checking the oil on this thing?

I have a 19 SS, 28k miles on it. I've changed the oil about 6 times and checking the oil level is such an odd and inconsistent thing. I check it every 1k miles, always in the morning after it has sat overnight.

I just changed the oil yesterday. Drained it, changed filter, added 10 quarts of M1 0w-40 ESP Formula as I always do. I don't generally check the oil immediately after the change because it's never accurate. I checked anyway a few minutes after the change and letting it run for a minute to check for leaks, which there were none. Probably put 100 miles in it yesterday and it has sat overnight. I check this morning an it's showing around 3/4 quart low, but still on the hash marks. I checked multiple times and got the same result. Why does it not show full? There was no difference in the oil change and added the same amount of oil I always do.

Prior to yesterdays oil change, I checked every 1k miles in the morning and it always showed to the top of the hash mark. But then suddenly at 3.7k miles I checked, and it showed 3/4 quart low. I continued to check every 1k miles until I got to 6.8k miles, and it never dropped any lower than the check at 3.7k miles. Why did the level drop between 2.7k and 3.7k miles, but never went lower?

So now after yesterdays change, it's showing the same level it did when I check at 3.7k miles before the most recent change.

Any idea what's going on? I don't want to add more oil to reach top of the hash mark because I believe it is full. I know its fine if the level is anywhere on the hashed area, but it should be to the top with a full 10 quarts. Is it possible my dip stick is not being fully pressed into the tube?
Bwrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol only time i check my oil is day after it gets changed and before any track days never really worried about it that much...
Old 12-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Bwrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol only time i check my oil is day after it gets changed and before any track days never really worried about it that much...
I'm not particularly "worried" about the level, as it's never been below the hash marks, just curious what's going on.

I may have an irrational fear of oil loss though lol I had a 99 Honda Prelude about 8 years ago that went through a lot of oil and it always bothered me.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
The oil is being measured from a very specific area in the engine. Not all oil is fully returned to that location when it is shut off (that would be bad). This is why your dipstick has a hashed area showing an acceptable RANGE for when you check the level as it will not be 100% consistent all of the time.

So long as the level is within that hashed area, your engine is completely safe to operate. When you do an oil change, you pour in the required amount of oil. And you make no adjustments unless a check of the oil level according to correct procedure shows that the level is wrong.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwrin View Post
What is up with checking the oil on this thing?

I have a 19 SS, 28k miles on it. I've changed the oil about 6 times and checking the oil level is such an odd and inconsistent thing. I check it every 1k miles, always in the morning after it has sat overnight.

I just changed the oil yesterday. Drained it, changed filter, added 10 quarts of M1 0w-40 ESP Formula as I always do. I don't generally check the oil immediately after the change because it's never accurate. I checked anyway a few minutes after the change and letting it run for a minute to check for leaks, which there were none. Probably put 100 miles in it yesterday and it has sat overnight. I check this morning an it's showing around 3/4 quart low, but still on the hash marks. I checked multiple times and got the same result. Why does it not show full? There was no difference in the oil change and added the same amount of oil I always do.

Prior to yesterdays oil change, I checked every 1k miles in the morning and it always showed to the top of the hash mark. But then suddenly at 3.7k miles I checked, and it showed 3/4 quart low. I continued to check every 1k miles until I got to 6.8k miles, and it never dropped any lower than the check at 3.7k miles. Why did the level drop between 2.7k and 3.7k miles, but never went lower?

So now after yesterdays change, it's showing the same level it did when I check at 3.7k miles before the most recent change.

Any idea what's going on? I don't want to add more oil to reach top of the hash mark because I believe it is full. I know its fine if the level is anywhere on the hashed area, but it should be to the top with a full 10 quarts. Is it possible my dip stick is not being fully pressed into the tube?
My experience with this matches up pretty well to what you described above. Exactly 10 quarts puts the oil level about 2/3 the way up the hashmark. I typically add up to 1/2 qt more to get it closer to the top of the hash marks, but make sure to not have it above the upper limit.

The owners manual recommends checking the oil after the engine has been off for two hours if possible OR at minimum have the engine off for 15 min if warm or 30 min if it's not warm. The cross-hatched area likely represents one full quart, since it says if the level is at all below the cross-hatch marks, to add 1 quart, then recheck the level. In addition to this, the track supplement says to "Check the oil level and keep it at or near the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick" and to do this "before, during, and after" track events or competitive driving. Regarding using 10 quarts exactly, the owners manual also states "All capacities are approximate. When adding, be sure to fill to the approximate level, as recommended in this manual. Recheck fluid level after filling."

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
Bwrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
My experience with this matches up pretty well to what you described above. Exactly 10 quarts puts the oil level about 2/3 the way up the hashmark. I typically add up to 1/2 qt more to get it closer to the top of the hash marks, but make sure to not have it above the upper limit.

The owners manual recommends checking the oil after the engine has been off for two hours if possible OR at minimum have the engine off for 15 min if warm or 30 min if it's not warm. The cross-hatched area likely represents one full quart, since it says if the level is at all below the cross-hatch marks, to add 1 quart, then recheck the level. In addition to this, the track supplement says to "Check the oil level and keep it at or near the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick" and to do this "before, during, and after" track events or competitive driving. Regarding using 10 quarts exactly, the owners manual also states "All capacities are approximate. When adding, be sure to fill to the approximate level, as recommended in this manual. Recheck fluid level after filling."
After changing the oil yesterday, adding 10 quarts, and checking this morning, I was at about 1/3 way up the hash section. I got to thinking and checked the oil bottles I used and sure enough, each still had a little in them. Went one by one and drained them all into one bottle and ended up with like 1/4 of a quart, so I added that to the car. I went too fast yesterday lol

Either way, when I check tomorrow morning, I expect it to be at 1/2 mark on hash area. Just doesn’t make sense compared to other oil changes.

So you actually add more than 10 quarts, up to 1/2 quart more? I’m not sure if I want to do that, we’ll see after tomorrow’s check. If it’s in the hashed area, I’ll probably just keep it where it’s at and check every 1k miles like usual and see what happens. I have like 8 extra quarts because I get 12 bottles when I order from Speedway Motors, so I’ve been saving them. It’s like buy 5 oil changes, get one free! Lol
Old 12-17-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
Bwrin

The plot thickens. Drove the car and warmed it up, then let it sit for two hours.

IT WAS AT THE FULL MARK

This is crazy lol
Old 12-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
I agree with all of this. Kind of maddening really. I miss the old chrome dipsticks-way easier to read, and more consistent too.

I find that inclines make a big difference too. Between track days I scout the flattest part of the hotel parking lot and leave a rag in front seat to remind myself to check before startup the next morning.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The oil is being measured from a very specific area in the engine. Not all oil is fully returned to that location when it is shut off (that would be bad). This is why your dipstick has a hashed area showing an acceptable RANGE for when you check the level as it will not be 100% consistent all of the time.

So long as the level is within that hashed area, your engine is completely safe to operate. When you do an oil change, you pour in the required amount of oil. And you make no adjustments unless a check of the oil level according to correct procedure shows that the level is wrong.

Let it sit overnight before checking
Old 12-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I can’t be worried about the exact level. As noted, level can vary a few ounces day to day.

As long as it shows on the dipstick hash mark and is very clean, I’m good.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #11
Bwrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Let it sit overnight before checking
Yep, always check in the morning after sitting overnight.

It’s just crazy because I checked it after sitting overnight, up 1/4 on the hash mark. Checked it warm after sitting two hours, same spot in my garage, and it’s full.

That’s why I say inconsistent, because it really is. At this point, I’m just going to check it like I usually do. If it’s in the hash area, I’ll call that fine.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwrin View Post
Yep, always check in the morning after sitting overnight.

It’s just crazy because I checked it after sitting overnight, up 1/4 on the hash mark. Checked it warm after sitting two hours, same spot in my garage, and it’s full.

That’s why I say inconsistent, because it really is. At this point, I’m just going to check it like I usually do. If it’s in the hash area, I’ll call that fine.
It's not inconsistent.

The oiling system in a modern engine has a variety of areas where oil can sit and 'settle'. It will NOT all return to the pan after sitting, so the measured amount of oil at any given time can and will vary. As I said before, this is why there is a hashed 'area' on the dip stick instead of specific line.

Older engines had much less complex oiling systems and "almost all" of the oil would return to the pan. This is why any metal dipsticks with a hashed area had a much smaller area AND why they could sometimes indicate with a line that the system was down a quart.

It's also important to understand that "down a quart" in an engine that used four quarts of oil represented a 25% loss in oil from the required amount. By comparison, you would have to be down two and a half quarts in our V8's to achieve that same 25% drop in level.

What is being called inconsistent is nothing more than adapting to the newer measuring system that is actually more accurate to show smaller tolerances. Within the hashed area is fine and within spec.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #13
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
It's not inconsistent.

The oiling system in a modern engine has a variety of areas where oil can sit and 'settle'. It will NOT all return to the pan after sitting, so the measured amount of oil at any given time can and will vary. As I said before, this is why there is a hashed 'area' on the dip stick instead of specific line.

Older engines had much less complex oiling systems and "almost all" of the oil would return to the pan. This is why any metal dipsticks with a hashed area had a much smaller area AND why they could sometimes indicate with a line that the system was down a quart.

It's also important to understand that "down a quart" in an engine that used four quarts of oil represented a 25% loss in oil from the required amount. By comparison, you would have to be down two and a half quarts in our V8's to achieve that same 25% drop in level.

What is being called inconsistent is nothing more than adapting to the newer measuring system that is actually more accurate to show smaller tolerances. Within the hashed area is fine and within spec.
Yep
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Just a hunch but I think the position of a lifter or two makes a big difference in how much oil drains back to the pan, and how fast.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote