Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Unhappy Was a Fun Ride!

So i've traded in my Camaro for a Trailblazer it was more of a lifestyle change then a want to change not getting another Camaro with a house and family on the horizon i decided to be a little more practical. In all honesty i would have gotten another camaro otherwise. So to go over why it happened in early June i had real issues with bad tuning from what was up until then a very reliable and pretty solid tuner given my car was a daily driver and we never pushed it to far. However some guys should never remote tune when they only use a dyno 99% of the time especially on a newer platform. So in june i was driving and i swear i skipped a tooth turns out the rocker arm came off completely and the valve on cylinder 3 was stuck. There was no evident cylinder or piston damage we did a few compression and leakdown tests fixed the rocker arm replaced the plugs and it started right up no issues. We also found an insane amount of carbon buildup in the block so we did a carbon clean 3x and all seemed well aside from if you got on it you'd feel the fuel chasing the air almost. So i scheduled a dyno day and went everything went good every pull to me was a please nothing break because if the valve was stuck it means it was possibly bent. All went well then 5 miles from the dyno the entire car shuts down. 3 of 4 spark plugs were completely gone. It could be coincidence or something else but i'd think after 2 hours of dyno testing a tuner would catch something like that about to happen. My tuner couldn't have honestly given two shits and for that response after the time and money and backing i had for him i was fairly disappointed when other tuners including local who helped me out in a bind one afternoon saw he had it running 20-25% more rich then it should have been before the initial failure advice he failed to take notice of.

So this is a semi-goodbye i'll still be around updating lists and answering any questions even though most of the community has moved to the Facebook groups. I do however want to warn people about the inherent issues with our engine. I had catch cans right when they went live from Mishimoto maybe a year after buying the camaro. I emptied them regularly and even made a few dozen PSA's about emptying them weekly during winter months in the northern states. The amount of carbon buildup is what eventually caused some of the failures so even with a good system and proper routing if you tune your engine things will build-up and i'd advise you do a carbon flush at the dealer or your local shop on regular intervals. Now do take into account i daily drove my camaro and it had easily 100 passes down the 1/4 mile and probably 24hrs worth of dyno time collectively so it was beat on. I'll be placing some items i had on the table not installed for sale shortly PM me if you want first dibs or need some advice or answers.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
It's official Kev? Car is really gone? Maybe add a pick of the new family vehicle. At least it's another GM.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
It's official Kev? Car is really gone? Maybe add a pick of the new family vehicle. At least it's another GM.
It's been official for a few weeks now sadly. Maybe in a few years i'll revisit my racing hobby of going fast. For now i'm relegated to what will likely be 15-16s passes in the Trailblazer.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 08-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I am happy about the family on the horizon. sorry to see you go. There's a lot jam packed in there so it speaks. At some point i will scope my water injection setup considering the MW kit is kind of novel for anyone who's interested. My car is running incredibly well and I am so glad my primary mission is to understand it/each other and not posting numbers, but sometimes I am a little green with envy with the 12's but at the same time I know my ride home is reliable. All the best EB and I hope to see you chime in once in a while.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Sucks about your engine problems and bad tuner. Good luck on your new ventures. Did you get the 1.2 or 1.3 in your new Trailblazer?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Sucks about your engine problems and bad tuner. Good luck on your new ventures. Did you get the 1.2 or 1.3 in your new Trailblazer?
1.3T totally underpowered and my tuner really went to shit quickly. Hoping someone makes something for the 1.3T simple downpipe and CAI setup would be nice.