Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Falken RT660 new this year

During my search for a new set of tires I came across these new falkens that should be out performing the current azenis, which have been a solid contender since the most recently updated version. The sizes will be up to a 315/30 19, but are not released yet, only smaller sizes are out. I contacted them for a release date and its set for the end of this summer but may be delayed.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/pas...nis-rt660-tire
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"

Last edited by Joey Soul; 04-26-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
We'll have to wait for once people get their hands on them to see where they really stack up, but they are supposed to be in the same breath as the current autox cheater tires, RE-71, Rivals, and Yokohamas. Though I've heard that they won't last long, potentially same or worse than the RE-71R. I would like to see where they land price wise, I'm certainly interested in giving them a try when these Rivals wear out.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Initial tests indicate they are just as quick as the RE71R for autox and capable of similar road course lap times, but wont quite last as long as the RE71R.

They should be a cheaper option than the RE71R, judging by the size-to-size price comparison, for autox. For that reason, I'd expect them to be pretty popular. As for road course, they'll probably be an option for Time Trials/fast laps, but not for extended lapping - the average lap time on the RE71R will likely still be better, and not as good as the GY SC3.

Tire manufacturers sometimes alter their compound formulations (very minor-type) last minute and, sometimes, during normal production. Sometimes, it comes down to honing-in quality-control, too. So, you really need to wait until these get out there, into the hands of customers and mounted in various applications, to really understand.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
During my search for a new set of tires I came across these new falkens that should be out performing the current azenis, which have been a solid contender since the most recently updated version. The sizes will be up to a 315/30 19, but are not released yet, only smaller sizes are out. I contacted them for a release date and its set for the end of this summer but may be delayed.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/pas...nis-rt660-tire

Im trying to pop on these but they do seem to be unavailable in the ZL1 1LE sizes. I am an all time Falken fan so my opinion will be biased.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
Im trying to pop on these but they do seem to be unavailable in the ZL1 1LE sizes. I am an all time Falken fan so my opinion will be biased.
Ive personally never ran falkens but my friend on the new azenis certainly gave my little skyline a run for its money on road course haha so im willing to give them a shot if the price is right. If not i have my eye on the federal rs pro also
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Old 04-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
No one has the 19" sizes yet. Tire Rack, Discount, etc...

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Just an FYI

Tire rack wont carry them. They arent allowed to because of contract reasons. They get the SSC size because of the scca sponsorship but discount tire will get all other sizes.

With all that being said I had a set of 305s on order to do a test of them. I decided to cancel them cause i was hearing that (for autocross anyway) they were still slower than the RE71R. Close, very close but for me i know how to get the most out of the Bstone so no reason in a new car to start tire testing until i have a good feel for it.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...oss-and-track/

Here is a grassroots test of the new Falken vs the Bstone. It sounds silly but i dont trust grassroots motorsports test of these tires. For years they have been telling us that the BFG is fast and that the RE71R is slower yet class after class you see its a lot more equal than they show. Could be a lot of things but thats just my opinion.

Also of they made the Advan in our size id like to test them but ive also been hearing they arent the best for stock classes. They need camber to perform and dont really last that long.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
Just an FYI

Tire rack wont carry them. They arent allowed to because of contract reasons. They get the SSC size because of the scca sponsorship but discount tire will get all other sizes.

With all that being said I had a set of 305s on order to do a test of them. I decided to cancel them cause i was hearing that (for autocross anyway) they were still slower than the RE71R. Close, very close but for me i know how to get the most out of the Bstone so no reason in a new car to start tire testing until i have a good feel for it.

Here is a grassroots test of the new Falken vs the Bstone. It sounds silly but i dont trust grassroots motorsports test of these tires. For years they have been telling us that the BFG is fast and that the RE71R is slower yet class after class you see its a lot more equal than they show. Could be a lot of things but thats just my opinion.

Also of they made the Advan in our size id like to test them but ive also been hearing they arent the best for stock classes. They need camber to perform and dont really last that long.
I always take GRM's tests with a grain of salt. They're at most a couple of people's experiences with one or two cars. I'll reserve judgment until I or a bunch of people give them a go.

I'm most interested in how they handle heat. Like the Rivals work best in the heat and later runs, but the Yoks are best in colder temperatures and earlier runs. Since the majority of our events are in 90+ degree weather, a tire that gets greasy quick doesn't do me much good.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I always take GRM's tests with a grain of salt. They're at most a couple of people's experiences with one or two cars. I'll reserve judgment until I or a bunch of people give them a go.

I'm most interested in how they handle heat. Like the Rivals work best in the heat and later runs, but the Yoks are best in colder temperatures and earlier runs. Since the majority of our events are in 90+ degree weather, a tire that gets greasy quick doesn't do me much good.
The Re71R works in all conditions just doest take too much heat well. For me with our short(shorter this year) season, the RE71R works in the cold, wet, and hot. Plus they have amazing turn on response. Just sucks they pulled out of paying contingency this year.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 04-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #10
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Just an FYI

I've not seen this mentioned by TireRack. As far as I've seen, the way they've communicated, they are anticipating getting all other sizes. The SSC sizes are just a priority over the other sizes, being a "spec tire" for a class.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I've not seen this mentioned by TireRack. As far as I've seen, the way they've communicated, they are anticipating getting all other sizes. The SSC sizes are just a priority over the other sizes, being a "spec tire" for a class.
my guy i call through work told me he couldn't get me my 305s. Maybe this will change?
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 04-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #12
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Just an FYI

Thats an interesting find. I stick more to road course then autox but i run it periodically, at least that shows some data that it SHOULD be better then the azenis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
No one has the 19" sizes yet. Tire Rack, Discount, etc...
They arent released until late this summer, i said that in the initial post.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #13
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
Thats an interesting find. I stick more to road course then autox but i run it periodically, at least that shows some data that it SHOULD be better then the azenis.

They arent released until late this summer, i said that in the initial post.
I would love to test them for the track days I have planned.. of they happen but fundage can be a little tricky right now! lol Especially since Im saving my stimulus for when i need new OE tires and plan on getting new Michelin.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 05-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #14
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
I would love to test them for the track days I have planned.. of they happen but fundage can be a little tricky right now! lol Especially since Im saving my stimulus for when i need new OE tires and plan on getting new Michelin.
Yea these big tires are ridiculously priced but we will see how it goes. Mine are just about toast so ill have to buy something before these are released