#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #15
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Hertz, Hendricks Motorsports, Callaway ZL1 1LE Event #2

Hey guys,

Well, we were able to go test at another local event this weekend, Porsche club was doing an HPDE event at AMP (Arizona Motorsports Park).

After our first event at Musselman, there were 3 issues to resolve:
  • Right Front Tire losing air
  • Brake fluid boiling
  • Service Ride Suspension Error

The good news, although I was only able to do 4 laps, including the out lap and in lap. These issues all seem to be resolved!

The right front tire issue - Was the outside bead of my Goodyear had torn. I suspected this to be the case (since I was the one who mounted it) and remember ripping it slightly (about 2") but when I dismounted it, it had become more like 6" of no bead. So ordered a new tire, mounted it (carefully)... and voila... no more air leaking from the tire when cornering.

The brake fluid boiling, may have just been more a result of Mussleman being so small tight, and no time for brakes to cool... but I decided to spend the money on Endless-650 after hearing good results from my local GT3 Cup tech shop. Fluid performed perfectly, however I still did one 'hot bleed' just because I'm old school from road racing a 4th Gen for so many years, and you just bleed often in heavy under braked cars. This car is heavy, but not so under braked.

The Ride Suspension error, has been resolved by using the www.xineering.com Magneride bypass kits! Even includes a ride height trim reset tool for an extra $100 (Bonus!)

So, the first event issues resolved, AMP would bring a couple new challenges. AMP has a sound limit of 96DB! So now we needed to know if the Hendrick's Motorsports, Callaway ZL1 1LE Camaro, could pass 96 DB!

My good friend and fellow racer Damon Humphries, helped fabricate up some 'Laguna Pipes' I had purchased (originally intended for a Corsa exhaust), and made them fit the OEM exhaust and be 'reversible' for days we run the course counter clock wise.

These turn downs worked so well... I almost couldn't hear the car with helmet on, and pipes aimed to passenger side!

My first lap (after warm up) I attempted to leave the lead car (full race ST3 BMW) a bit more space, not thinking I'd catch him, as he's actually very fast. Well, the Callaway monster was having now of that... and I caught him with about 4 turns to go... so I slowed the car, and gave him more space for the next hot lap.

For lap 2, the car and I were getting into a good rhthym, being the morning session I was running it in Track Mode - Race, and barely getting any interruption. As I was approaching the start finish, with about 4 turns to go, the course went full course caution, and they black flagged everyone in... so still wasn't able to get a full lap in.

The good news, was the brakes were great, no suspension errors, and all the tires warming up evenly.

Unfortunately the cancelled the event after the black flag, so we'll have to plan for an update after the next event.

A couple of things I plan to test, as we get ready for Global Time Attach at Buttonwillow in November. GTA requires Yoks... so until then I'm still running the 220TW Goodyear SuperCar 3's, which have been great on the track.

Part of this testing is also to learn what Tire can be best for One Lap of America, so I've ordered some of the new Falken RT-660's in 315/30/18 Square (4 weeks backorder) and 305/30/19-315/30/19 (rears not available yet, awaiting update).

Here are a couple different views of the 2 laps today.

Our next event, I'm going to plan to take it to the auto-x in CAM-C, and have some fun around the pylons.

Videos:
https://youtu.be/BzgfiTS9d0o

https://youtu.be/R2eRAj0cnzU

Really want to say thank you to:

Callaway Cars
Hendrick’s Motorsports
G-Loc Brakes
APEX Race Parts
GM for creating such a bitchin' platform!

See you at a track soon!

Best regards,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #16
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Good read! Glad the car is working out very well for you.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:04 AM   #17
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Looked like a good time was had by all.

Shorts and a tee shirt, along with full a/c is the only way I could do that in this heat. Nicely done!
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:39 AM   #18
SCCAForums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
Good read! Glad the car is working out very well for you.
Thanks James! Definitely getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
Looked like a good time was had by all.

Shorts and a tee shirt, along with full a/c is the only way I could do that in this heat. Nicely done!
Hah, that's for sure Dan! The cool weather can't come soon enough!

Cheers!

Dave
Old 11-24-2020, 05:20 AM   #19
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Any update from GM on your roof rail airbags going off on track? I take way more curbing than that at times which has me concerned of a repeat.

https://youtu.be/JoaRx7vg-uY
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #20
SCCAForums

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Any update from GM on your roof rail airbags going off on track? I take way more curbing than that at times which has me concerned of a repeat.

https://youtu.be/JoaRx7vg-uY
Thanks for the reminder on this thread, been so busy with cars, and racing... I forgot to update this... I'll have to work on it this weekend.

I can tell you, that GM at this point, has said it's not under warranty for airbag deployment and have recommended I open up a product allegations case. I had my interview with the GM Product Allegations representative yesterday, and they now will be pulling the data from the vehicle.

I believe they will be doing the right thing, as the car wasn't only not in an accident, didn't go off course, I was even on the 200 TW tire! LOL... not even on a 3R which could have pulled even more G's.

I will say, that once the claim is completed, and hopefully GM does the right thing, replaces the two curtain bags and two seat belts... I plan to pull the factory Seats, and put in Race seats, thus disabling the Airbag system... as I don't want to have this happen during One Lap of America... and don't want a $2,500 seat airbag somehow blowing!

I still love the car, and will continue the development to get her fully sorted for Optima OUSCI, and OLOA.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 12-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #21
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Glad to see the HMS carbon hood cover off and the Callaway trim ring on factory hood, in-place.

Neat piece of history, and 1 of 25 very special cars.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #22
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
nice to meet you at the gta finals hopefully we will run into each other again and i will have my car there also! maybe you should come out to cali again before they tear down the roval?
Old 07-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #23
RBiggs

Drives: 2020 Hertz Camaro ZL-1 #6 of 24
Why The Hertz Camaro?

Dave,

I have spoken to you before about the Hero Plague that comes with each of these cars. I am the owner of #6 and was able to get all of my documentation for the car from Hertz. Thank you for that info. I bought it 2 years ago and have only put 4500 miles on it. She's a show car now.

I do have a question though. Why take a collector car, and turn it in to a racer? Wouldn't have been cheaper to just get an original Calloway Camaro instead of paying the Hertz cost for this ZL-1?
RBiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:13 AM   #24
Michael.Kynett@yahoo.com

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Hertz/Hendriz zl1 Supercharger Raised Hood wearabouts

Your build thread shows that you removed the Hendrix Motorsport raised shaker hood piece so the Callaway Supercharger was visible.

I am having Callaway do my ZL1 and would like to buy the cover you are not using. Would this be possible?
Michael.Kynett@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote