Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 11-11-2020, 11:51 PM   #1
NLZN21

Drives: 2009 370z
DS bound and down

Welp I finally pulled the trigger on an Ltg 1LE which was delivered today. I'm hoping to get back out to some national stops/match tours for 2021 since Covid really ruined 2020 for me (Admittedly that's a selfish statement on my part, it's really ruined a lot more for a lot of people and their families).

Coming from running a STU prepped z34 for the past few years (and an STR e36m3 prior to that), I think it's going to be good fun after getting some seat time to learn the car more.. and then onto competing against the new~ish DS classed ctr's/veloster n's. I've loosely followed Scrogg's campaign in prior years and listening to Pobst's words on the chassis finally pushed me over the edge (well that and the ice mode issues I couldn't get in around in the z34. Correct me if I am wrong but my research indicates GM has resolved most of this in the gen6 chassis for 2019+).

I'm not too crazy about the staggered setup on the 1LE, I felt the squared setup on the base models was pretty balanced, I will be pretty curious to see how that affects the car. I'm planning on setting out squaring up on 71's, figuring I'll sacrifice some turn in feel for stretching 265's on 8.5 wheels.. but "wheel" see I guess

Anyways, I just wanted to drop in and say hi and I'm sure I'll cross paths at some events for '21 with some people I see post here regularly. As always any chassis tips or tricks are always appreciated. See everyone around!
NLZN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Welcome. When I first started looking for a Camaro I wanted the LTG 1LE, but finding them used was next to impossible, and I'm not that gung ho about buying new. Depreciation and all. Ended up buying a base model '17 for $18k in January. I've since put 305 BFG Rivals all around, camber plates, and a tune.

The alpha chassis is quite impressive, especially with the lighter weight and near 50/50 weight balance (supposedly) of the 2.0T motor. I have the 1LE size wheels/tires for daily use, and it definitely trends towards understeer.

Maybe I'll see you at the Charlotte or Bristol events. Was planning on going this year, but Covid things.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Hey man I totally get it. I thought about another type r or a turbo Camaro for DS just cause financially covid has sucked. Could always be worse right?

For no i am sticking with my 1le as right now it doesn't make much sense to get one car or the other.

I look forward to seeing what the turbo 1le can do. While the staggered wheel setup sucks I don't see it being a large determent, especially if you run the same tire size. The mustang turbo with the performance pack has caught my eye but then again its almost 40 grand for the right options.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
destoups

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
If it helps/matters we've run 265/18s and 275/19s, preferring the 275s, in the past.
destoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #5
conemark

Drives: Boost Coupe Stewie formerly '01 Z28
Welcome aboard!

Kudos for pulling the pin in deciding to running the Turbo 4. We were kicking around the idea for 2021, but some of the opinions in the DS thread has us looking a bit further. I'm not much of a builder, much less a driver, so trying the uphill battle in Street put the next car on pause.

As a side note, I was considering "writing a letter" about the V6's being reclassed to D.
conemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #6
clyde

Drives: broken
Congrats on the new car! It's going to be a ton of fun! After running a 2017 turbo in 2018, the 1LE was tempting for 2019, but I wound up sticking with the '17 car and...between a lot of rain and some head in ass driving, the season did not go well.

Seriously, I think the turbo Camaros can trophy at national events with strong fields if the weather holds, but the deck is really stacked against them if there's any running in the wet. Too much tire and RWD makes for a really big hill to climb against FWD and AWD with narrower tires in the rain. With some luck, 2021 won't be a repeat of 2019's worst case scenario for weather all season.

Overall, I put 40k trouble free miles on it (windshield washer pump died) over two years before it started sitting in March. Cheap to buy, cheap to operate (MPG is phenomenal for how much fun it is), super fun, capable, comfortable, quiet inside. Hands down, the best of the 30some cars I've owned.

It just didn't make V8 noises, though, so I sold it this summer and just picked up a 2SS 1LE to replace it a couple weeks ago. (I still think conemark should have bought it instead of forcing me to sell it to Carvana. )

On a few things mentioned in the thread...

FWIW, every time I had my old car on scales (usually with 1/8-1/4 tank), it was 53/47 F/R +/-0.5% at just a few ticks over 3200. At the 2018 Oscoda Pro, Britton's turbo was 3180 and mine was 3201 two minutes later.

There's a lot of weight to be lost in the exhaust. I put together an 18" Borla with some pipe, dropped 30 pounds and made it loud enough to hear in video in the process. It sounded nice inside and outside the car.

I'm convinced part of the ice mode issue is driver related. I only got into it a couple times in two years of competition. My codriver blew a run or two at nearly every event. It doesn't sound like it's totally gone in 2019+ cars, but does sound like it's much less common and often less severe when it does happen.

On 275 v 265, we started with 275s based on Scroggs and Des and were happy enough from the start to keep going, especially without the ability to test in a meaningful manner. But, haven't the RE-71s been discontinued? But, it also sounds like there are going to be even more top tier tires next year.

Will be running in a CSP Miata next year, hopefully with a couple events in my new 2020 2SS 1LE (not sure if BS, ESP, or CAM, though).
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #7
NLZN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by conemark View Post
Welcome aboard!

Kudos for pulling the pin in deciding to running the Turbo 4. We were kicking around the idea for 2021, but some of the opinions in the DS thread has us looking a bit further. I'm not much of a builder, much less a driver, so trying the uphill battle in Street put the next car on pause.

As a side note, I was considering "writing a letter" about the V6's being reclassed to D.
Thank you for your input
Old 12-13-2020, 11:43 PM   #8
NLZN21

Honestly after the way 2020 went at this point I just want to drive an event.

It's been pretty cool here the last month or so since purchasing the car which has kept me from really pushing it anywhere near what it's capable of. It does give me something to look forward to with a slight warmup and 19" forgestars+re71's on the way.

One of the big things that locked my chassis choice was really how well I could position myself comfortably to drive. The Recaros give an added touch over the base seats and there's ample helmet room, while the upgraded bose and info screen were further niceties added (some of my local events are a couple hour hauls).

The car is begging for an exhaust, I can't even hear it over road noise to pick my shift points. Additionally I will note that the throttle response is horrendous, I think that's my only complaint outside of the visibility challenge (but the z34 wasn't all that great either). Probably going to take a bit of time to get used to the footprint of the car, I bet I'm going to piss off some slalom workers the first few events

I think when/if I get tired of staying in warranty and playing in a street class, there's a lot of potential with places to address shortcomings that could make for a wicked fun mod path after tuning, camber and wide wheels.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
conemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLZN21 View Post
Thank you for your input

Isn't it great that we already know what that response will be?
Old 12-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Honestly after the way 2020 went at this point I just want to drive an event.

It's been pretty cool here the last month or so since purchasing the car which has kept me from really pushing it anywhere near what it's capable of. It does give me something to look forward to with a slight warmup and 19" forgestars+re71's on the way.

One of the big things that locked my chassis choice was really how well I could position myself comfortably to drive. The Recaros give an added touch over the base seats and there's ample helmet room, while the upgraded bose and info screen were further niceties added (some of my local events are a couple hour hauls).

The car is begging for an exhaust, I can't even hear it over road noise to pick my shift points. Additionally I will note that the throttle response is horrendous, I think that's my only complaint outside of the visibility challenge (but the z34 wasn't all that great either). Probably going to take a bit of time to get used to the footprint of the car, I bet I'm going to piss off some slalom workers the first few events

I think when/if I get tired of staying in warranty and playing in a street class, there's a lot of potential with places to address shortcomings that could make for a wicked fun mod path after tuning, camber and wide wheels.
Being dead silent is pretty funny at events because I've had people come up to me and say it sounds like Tesla because all they can hear is the tire noise.

I came from a Focus ST, and have found that I hit fewer cones with the Camaro. Maybe it's because I'm actually thinking about the size of the car.

There is a lot that can be done with these cars. Being a turbo car, they respond very well to tuning, which is really required if you want to compete on a national level in CAM. And of course, 305s fit all around, which is great fun itself.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
conemark

Quote:
Welp I finally pulled the trigger on an Ltg 1LE which was delivered today. I'm hoping to get back out to some national stops/match tours for 2021 since Covid really ruined 2020 for me (Admittedly that's a selfish statement on my part, it's really ruined a lot more for a lot of people and their families). .....Anyways, I just wanted to drop in and say hi and I'm sure I'll cross paths at some events for '21 with some people I see post here regularly. As always any chassis tips or tricks are always appreciated. See everyone around!
We very well may be joing the DS fray and are hoping that Bristol will be the test to see if we made the 'Stupidest. Idea. Ever.'
Old 04-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #12
clyde

Quote:
We very well may be joing the DS fray and are hoping that Bristol will be the test to see if we made the 'Stupidest. Idea. Ever.'
Woah, wait, wut? Stu? Wasn't it "Hello H Street" three days ago?

BTW, I still have a lightweight single catback with an 18" Borla for the LTG available for pickup near DC or can probably get to NJ Tour or Bristol that I would be happy to see go to a new home...
Old 05-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #13
conemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Woah, wait, wut? Stu? Wasn't it "Hello H Street" three days ago?

BTW, I still have a lightweight single catback with an 18" Borla for the LTG available for pickup near DC or can probably get to NJ Tour or Bristol that I would be happy to see go to a new home...
Indeed, it's Stu...and more like "Hello D-Street". Another one of us will try our hands in the 'spec Civic' class.

For those following along, we picked up a 2018 Camaro 1LS, with the Bristol "Summer Nationals" looking to be our first big event with it.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #14
clyde

Quote:
Indeed, it's Stu...and more like "Hello D-Street". Another one of us will try our hands in the 'spec Civic' class.

For those following along, we picked up a 2018 Camaro 1LS, with the Bristol "Summer Nationals" looking to be our first big event with it.
Enjoy the new wheels!