Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Best PCV/Breather setup

I'm thinking of running a Metco/Rx breather along with a non-vented Mike Norris catch can. I'm not sure of the best setup. I've read the check valve gets stuck under a lot of boost/pressure. Is that the general consensus on the breathers? Also is deleting the PCV altogether a good option.

I have a stock cube forged motor and running a big shot of nitrous and do not want to blow seals. Any ideas and experience (along with pictures) would definitely be appreciated.

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com One of the best cans on the market get ahold of these guys they'll get you set up with everything you need.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com One of the best cans on the market get ahold of these guys they'll get you set up with everything you need.
I know it's FI, but would their mild setup be good for a NA car? I've got a Mike Norris can now, no idea if changing catch cans would be beneficial.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Hi BooneSS, First you have to look at what your wanting to accomplish. And first and foremost is to effectively stop as much oil ingestion as possible. The one Trob recommends only stops a portion of the oil and other contaminants, vs our E2 and E2-X design that traps 95% plus. Also, it ONLY provides evacuation at idle and deceleration and light cruise on a NA engine, and relies on allowing pressure to first build and then escape leaving pressure always present int he crankcase, never good (any breather requires greater pressure behind it than can be vented to force the pressure out).

Here is how you test (yes, we have on every model of the mouse can and most every other popular cans to show how ineffective most are in comparison, but it holds much more water if you the end user conduct the test yourself instead of trusting us or anyone else).

You will find the other can comes in similar to this example:

Now back to using a breather. In NO Professional racing are breathers used. That technology went out in the 1980's and all use a full time evacuation system. The belt driven vacuum pump most common, and dry sump vacuum sections. We emulate this by using 2 separate evacuation suction sources and dual checkvalves so your crankcase ALWAYS has suction pulled on it never allowing pressure to build in the first place. We also have as part of the complete system the Clean Side Separator, that traps any oil that could back flow in the event you have a piston ring/piston/cylinder sealing issue the same as a breather would, but not into the air, but cleaned vapors only into the main intake air charge.

We don't play games and manipulate, we provide the absolute best air/oil separating crankcase evacuation systems on the market period. And challenge ANY to conduct the test as shown in the video.

Want more information? Email our Technical Support team direct with any questions at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
I understand how the catch cans combat oil injestion, but my concern is excessive crankcase pressure. How does a non vented catch can and clean side oil separator minimize pressure?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I know it's FI, but would their mild setup be good for a NA car? I've got a Mike Norris can now, no idea if changing catch cans would be beneficial.
Yes they have three options from all stock to full race. I had problems with not getting proper crankcase pressure out with the old setup and blew my rear main out. Got them to set me up with what my engine needed haven't had a problem since. Loved the product so much also went with their system on the tow pig and oh my god what a difference, I knew these trucks were notorious for burning oil but the amount caught was ridiculous.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
Yes they have three options from all stock to full race. I had problems with not getting proper crankcase pressure out with the old setup and blew my rear main out. Got them to set me up with what my engine needed haven't had a problem since. Loved the product so much also went with their system on the tow pig and oh my god what a difference, I knew these trucks were notorious for burning oil but the amount caught was ridiculous.
Now you've got me curious if their catch can will filter more oil vapors out than the mike norris product lol might have to upgrade!
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by booneSS13 View Post
I understand how the catch cans combat oil injestion, but my concern is excessive crankcase pressure. How does a non vented catch can and clean side oil separator minimize pressure?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Just contact Mighty Mouse. I am not concerned about oil as much as I am blowing rear main seals. Told them my setup and they got me the right stuff. Been working great so far.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro

That is what we explained in detail. Our systems use a 2 separate evacuation suction sources so pressure can never build in the first place unless you have a piston/ring/cylinder sealing issue (damage from detonation being the most common) and we also use separate billet cleanside separator. So there is ZERO possibility even if you break a piston to have pressure build. If pressure would ever overcome the evacuation suction, it would simply equalize out the cleanside unit, which has a separation chamber with coalescing media inside to trap any oil vapors, so no mess in the engine compartment like a breather makes.

Look closely at these diagrams to see the cleanside unit replaces the oil fill cap and is a unrestricted inlet for filtered fresh incoming air that flushes and replaces the foul oil and contaminate laden vapors being sucked out the opposite bank (or valley cover). IF anything happens in the engine to allow pressure exceeding the evacuation capacity of the system, it simply will vent out the cleanside! MM keeps misrepresenting our systems and you the consumer loose with the damage done to your engine over time and the lost power of NOT pulling suction at all times.

This is what you get with the E2-X complete system:

So as you can see, not only does it make a pressurized crankcase impossible, it also traps 95% plus of ALL the oil mist and other contaminants vs other cans that at best trap no more than 15-30% allowing the rest to pass through them and still be ingested causing the issues you install these to prevent in the first place.

And on a 525 HP LS3 NA used in road racing only in a Lotus based road race car where ANY oil spewing will not only get you flagged from the course, but can easily cause a crash:

This has become a standard for road raced cars with LS based engines, NA or FI because it addresses EVERY aspect of proper crankcase evacuation, air/oil separation, and oil mist containment while NEVER allowing pressure to be able to ever build even when an engine fails.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
+1 on the Elite Catch Can.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boost