Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #15
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Yes Ohio is looking at it too.

We already have the guy at the testing garage walk around the car with an extension mirror underneath. Cameras will provide documented evidence the cats are missing.

I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt assuming his Camaro is for track use only and not registered for public road use. But operating a car on public roads without the cats is illegal already and will become more difficult to hide as localities tighten the emission regulations.
I wonder how they'll feel about "hi-flow cats"

They're a catalytic converter, but I seriously doubt they are as effective as OEM

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post

They're a catalytic converter, but I seriously doubt they are as effective as OEM
I can't speak for other states, but in VA your emissions equipment has to be factory, or factory equivalent. So I'd imagine high flow cats would not be accepted here. I'm not sure if they could tell without testing them though.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #17
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
contact info?
It was a local guy. I don’t think he is doing anything that involves shipping. Might check marketplace and see what they offer. This post is just to help keep people from letting them go too cheap.

Someone above said they got $80ea for the rears. I only got $50ea for those. Maybe the $500 total for all 4 is still low. Who knows.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #18
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
I can't speak for other states, but in VA your emissions equipment has to be factory, or factory equivalent. So I'd imagine high flow cats would not be accepted here. I'm not sure if they could tell without testing them though.

You are not required to use OEM only, as long as the replacement meets or exceeds the OEM cat you can use anything you want.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #19
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
Got tired of kicking my secondary's around the house. Threw them beside the dumpster and they were gone 2 hours later. Wish I would have known they were worth something.
I don't believe secondary cats have the same material in them. They look different internally then primary cats and there only job is to help filter on cold start until the primary reaches operating temp. They might have some value to them but I don't think they are worth what the Primary cats are...
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #20
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post

They probably won't care if they don't appear to look modified. But if the installation/welding job looks suspect, they'll probably have questions.

If it looks right and the OBD shows no codes or irregularities in the emission system it's probably going to pass no questions asked.

But then again VW was able to trick the OBD into showing compliant emission systems for years so who knows what lengths municipalities are going to go to to ensure your car is compliant in the future.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #21
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I’m not judging either.

However, I’ve been rather resolute on having cats on my vehicles for about 20yrs. Even my last mustang had 3” cats as did my LS swapped blazer.

I've been a cat man for quite a few years also. What will suck is if they start fining you for non stock cats, as I'm certain CA, CO and some of the New England states will probably do.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #22
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
They probably won't care if they don't appear to look modified. But if the installation/welding job looks suspect, they'll probably have questions.

If it looks right and the OBD shows no codes or irregularities in the emission system it's probably going to pass no questions asked.

But then again VW was able to trick the OBD into showing compliant emission systems for years so who knows what lengths municipalities are going to go to to ensure your car is compliant in the future.
What VW did was an absolutely cool FU. Seriously, using speed sensors to know when the car is being checked, Brilliant.

The big difference here is those were diesel. & from the data I saw the emissions output was minor, but the gains in mileage for the end user was quite astounding.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #23
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Good. You should not remove cats. It's illegal, and it stinks. Everyone knows what you did because they can smell it, and they are judging you for it.
Let them judge away that's all everybody wants to do nowadays anyways.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #24
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
I'm sure the high flow or Gesi cats aren't quite as good at reducing toxic gasses and pollutants as the factory primary and secondary setup and I'd be willing to bet that VA will not accept anything other than the factory setup if they're anywhere near as anal as they were back in the '70's. I grew up in Chesterfield county and lived there until '76. At that time, the cops would throw the book at you for possessing a radar detector; if you pulled out of the damn driveway without a front plate the cops were on you immediately. They also had a vendetta against even crossing extremely lightly trafficked rural roads on your dirt bike, heaven forbid if you actually rode a few feet down the road to get to the next trail.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 12-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #25
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
It smells like a bakery when I drive by. Sometimes ethanol smells good. Sometimes not so good. No one around here cares.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #26
L78toLT1

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I'm sure the high flow or Gesi cats aren't quite as good at reducing toxic gasses and pollutants as the factory primary and secondary setup and I'd be willing to bet that VA will not accept anything other than the factory setup if they're anywhere near as anal as they were back in the '70's. I grew up in Chesterfield county and lived there until '76. At that time, the cops would throw the book at you for possessing a radar detector; if you pulled out of the damn driveway without a front plate the cops were on you immediately. They also had a vendetta against even crossing extremely lightly trafficked rural roads on your dirt bike, heaven forbid if you actually rode a few feet down the road to get to the next trail.
Don't misinterpret my last message. I loved it in Virginia, it's just that the cops were unnecessarily tough on a poor ole country boy who just wanted to drive his car and ride his bike in peace
Old 12-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #27
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Totally agree. “F” them!! Let the sheep fall in line and be slaughtered.

Like they don’t speed, cheat on their taxes, lie, lay eyes on another woman. Give me a break and mind your own business. “Don’t Tread on Me”

Run E85 and no smell what so ever. No cats and go to DVM and be running E85..... no smog.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #28
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
since i live in california i kept my stock headers/cats/intake just in case i ever get reffered or have to swap back to stock