Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
photorph

Drives: 19 zl1 le hopefully
ZL1 or tesla model 3 P or BMW M2? (model 3 is $13k less & faster than Zl1)

Apples and oranges comparison here and I'd go with the ZL1 if they were the same price. But hear me out.

The chevy dealers aren't really budging on pricing and the best I'm able to do for a ZLE is 67-68k with an out the door price of ~73k in Michigan. I can maybe get this down a bit after a whole lot of work and looking at out of state dealers, but no matter what we're still at 70k or higher out the door.

Meanwhile the tesla model 3 performance is 60k OTD and has a 0-60 of 3.2. More importantly it feels faster due to the instant response time, I did drive it. Next level fast to the point that the acceleration can make you nauseous even.

The M2 is a great driver's car, haven't driven one yet personally though. This is still 5k less than the Zl1 at 66k OTD and is about the same 0-60 time with a more refined transmission and interior.

Thoughts?

Note: My daily driver is a 2016 camaro SS 6 speed, looking for a new DD. I will not be tracking the car.
photorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Your money. But your better off asking questions about the Tesla on a Tesla forum, same as the Beemer. Call your insurance agent before deciding.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
Apples and oranges comparison here and I'd go with the ZL1 if they were the same price. But hear me out.

The chevy dealers aren't really budging on pricing and the best I'm able to do for a ZLE is 67-68k with an out the door price of ~73k in Michigan. I can maybe get this down a bit after a whole lot of work and looking at out of state dealers, but no matter what we're still at 70k or higher out the door.

Meanwhile the tesla model 3 performance is 60k OTD and has a 0-60 of 3.2. More importantly it feels faster due to the instant response time, I did drive it. Next level fast to the point that the acceleration can make you nauseous even.

The M2 is a great driver's car, haven't driven one yet personally though. This is still 5k less than the Zl1 at 66k OTD and is about the same 0-60 time with a more refined transmission and interior.

Thoughts?

Note: My daily driver is a 2016 camaro SS 6 speed, looking for a new DD. I will not be tracking the car.
Look at the link I sent you in your original post. The price I found is way less than 70k. Even with the ridiculous taxes in CA, you should be able to get out the door for under 70k. Unless they don't honor their autotrader prices...
Old 03-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post

Thoughts?

Do you want to buy a car for its 0-60 metric? If yes, get the Tesla, no question about it. The experience will probably be sterile, but it's unbeatable off the line.

On another note, are you sure about considering a ZL1 1LE for a DD? Why not the regular ZL1 that is a lot cheaper, too?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
If you need to ask if you should have a electric car vs a ZL1 you should probably buy the Tesla. ZL1's are for car guys, Teslas are fast and better suit the Tech guys. I would never consider a Tesla while I consider myself a car guy. Thats not a put down just a observation. Nothing wrong with being a Tech guy just different generations. I prefer the sounds and smells and raw feel of a gas car. Just my 2 cents.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Do you want to buy a car for its 0-60 metric? If yes, get the Tesla, no question about it. The experience will probably be sterile, but it's unbeatable off the line.

On another note, are you sure about considering a ZL1 1LE for a DD? Why not the regular ZL1 that is a lot cheaper, too?
While this subject in my opinion has been worn out just wondering how you base your opinion on a ZL1 vs the ZLE? Persons that drive a ZL1 are best suited to give opinions and persons that own a ZLE are best suited to give that opinion. Not the people that read what other people think, the observations should be made from driving the cars and not just around the block but people that own them. Again just my 2 cents. Its just that most of the opinions are based on what people are reading not experiencing.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
zl1_fan

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 (A10, crush)
The ZLI is a muscle car, a true all american muscle car that's at the top of it's game pushing into super-car territory. You get the complete package here, performance on and off the track, amazing handling, and the sound of a true v8 engine! No hum or wine of an electric motor here.

You'll turn heads with the ZLI, you'll blend in with the others.

In the end it depends on what you're looking for, but the ZLI is the complete package, performance, handling and sound. Consider the non 1LE for a DD, cheaper and you can always add the wing and hood wrap. Also, the Magnetic ride control may be better suited for a DD.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
If you need to ask if you should have a electric car vs a ZL1 you should probably buy the Tesla. ZL1's are for car guys, Teslas are fast and better suit the Tech guys. I would never consider a Tesla while I consider myself a car guy. Thats not a put down just a observation. Nothing wrong with being a Tech guy just different generations. I prefer the sounds and smells and raw feel of a gas car. Just my 2 cents.
I agree 100%. I've got a 2018 ZL1 and would NEVER consider a tesla, even if it was the fastest thing on wheels. It's NOT for a "car guy". Tesla's are "appliances" and serve some people well (I guess) if you just want transportation. Also, other than the 'S' model, I could not stand the looks and cheap interior.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_fan View Post
The ZLI is a muscle car, a true all american muscle car that's at the top of it's game pushing into super-car territory. You get the complete package here, performance on and off the track, amazing handling, and the sound of a true v8 engine! No hum or wine of an electric motor here.

In the end it depends on what you're looking for, but the ZLI is the complete package, performance, handling and sound. Consider the non 1LE for a DD, cheaper and you can always add the wing and hood wrap. Also, the Magnetic ride control may be better suited for a DD.

Good luck.

Sounds like the Tesla may be a better choice for you, ZLE is a very specialized car and anyone who really wants and can use a ZLE is going to have little question about the purchase. Buying a ZLE with no intention to drive it on a track is a little ridiculous as well, imo. You can't drive these cars to the limit on the street and you won't have a clue what your car can do or what it's really all about without driving it on a track. This even applies to the ZL1 and SS 1LE, you can't fully appreciate these cars on the street, but they are better choices vs the ZLE for a street car.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_fan View Post

Good luck.
Could not agree more... I DD my 2018 ZL1. Which is why I chose it over the ZLE.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #11
photorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Look at the link I sent you in your original post. The price I found is way less than 70k. Even with the ridiculous taxes in CA, you should be able to get out the door for under 70k. Unless they don't honor their autotrader prices...
Yea i saw that and replied there, long story short not gonna happen. 65 OTD is what some ppl got so that's what I want.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #12
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Get all 3 and be done with it.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
photorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

Yes I know, tesla's are boring. And I love manuals. Hence why I'm hoping I can get a ZL1 at the prices many others have posted such as 65k out the door.

I know it makes total sense to get ZL1 over ZLE, but I like the looks of the ZLE so much better (rims, hood, wing). Yes I can add these to the ZL1, but by the time I do that I end up spending way more than what the 1LE package costs. If only there was a way that the 1LE could have the magnetic suspension.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
If you’re looking at a Tesla, I recommend you look up “EV range anxiety” too when considering an EV and what you’re driving distances/practices are and what you would use the car for.

IMHO, the Tesla is a commuter car. Don’t care if it’s faster off the line, it’ll never corner like a sports car or give you the feedback of a large displacement V8.

The M2 is not even in the same zip code as far as I’m concerned. But, if you don’t mind paying ~$300 for an oil change and looking like every other Beemer driver out there, go for it.

Not knocking your question or bagging on any of these cars, they are just wildly different and if you like the styling of the 1LE, I don’t see how either the Tesla or BMW get you there.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote