Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #113
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
How about a singe kit like that?
They don't make a single kit, I think it has to do with space under the hood. There are some one off single kits out there.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:10 PM   #114
Huron Speed

Drives: 2012 45th SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
How about a singe kit like that?
We do not offer a single kit, only the twin. Too much relocating/removing, etc to fit a large enough single up front to perform well.
Huron Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:20 PM   #115
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Any estimate on how much weight this would put on the front of the car? Any concerns with cooling if used for 20 minute track sessions?

Looks like a great kit! I'm just curious if it would be able to handle occasional (non-competitive) track time on an SS 1LE.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #116
Huron Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
Any estimate on how much weight this would put on the front of the car? Any concerns with cooling if used for 20 minute track sessions?

Looks like a great kit! I'm just curious if it would be able to handle occasional (non-competitive) track time on an SS 1LE.
We have not had the system on a road course style car as of yet. Where as I would love to answer the question, I do not have data at this time. I can say however that our system does not compromise any coolers on the car, all retain and can stay! We have not experience any cooling issues of any sort thus far in other types of driving. If interested in giving the system a shot please shoot me an email and I will be happy to work with you on the setup, build, and collect some data together!
For weight, the only real weight up on the nose would be the intercooler, the rest is all back and side of the engine.

Jon
Jon@HuronSpeed.com
Old 01-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #117
Ultrakd

Drives: 2018 Camaro Ss 1LE
So sometime this year I will be going FI on my SS 1LE and I was originally gonna do a Maggie 2300 but this has piqued my attention. My car is a daily tho, 70 miles a day too and from work, rain or shine. And I’m from Florida so there is a lot of both. I know previously it was said that the skid plate protects them from road debris. But what about water/light flooding. Wouldn’t want my twins turning into straws.

Also how are the turbos connecting together. I’m not seeing it in the pics, maybe I’m missing it.
Ultrakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #118
Huron Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrakd View Post
So sometime this year I will be going FI on my SS 1LE and I was originally gonna do a Maggie 2300 but this has piqued my attention. My car is a daily tho, 70 miles a day too and from work, rain or shine. And I’m from Florida so there is a lot of both. I know previously it was said that the skid plate protects them from road debris. But what about water/light flooding. Wouldn’t want my twins turning into straws.

Also how are the turbos connecting together. I’m not seeing it in the pics, maybe I’m missing it.
You're going to have to be driving it through a pool to be high enough to worry about submerging. If that is the case, you will have other issues as well

Turbo cold sides merge on the drivers side of the engine bay. Both cold side tubes run up the back side of the engine and connect on the drivers side where it runs up to the intercooler.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #119
Shane H

Drives: Currently Shopping
Jon, how is reliability with the oil less turbos? Any specific maintenance or potential issues with these vs a standard oiled turbo? I like the concept, i just have zero experience with them.
Shane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #120
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane H View Post
Jon, how is reliability with the oil less turbos? Any specific maintenance or potential issues with these vs a standard oiled turbo? I like the concept, i just have zero experience with them.
Just have to shoot them with grease when you change your oil is what he told me. I am assuming there is a hole where you just shoot the special grease into it and that keeps it lubricated.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #121
Huron Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane H View Post
Reliability is excellent, I run it on all of my own stuff and many in-house builds, never an issue!

Oil-less and Air-cooled turbos both use the same center grease set-up, only difference is how they go about cooling the grease in different methods. The standard Oil-less set-up uses coolant to cool the center where as the air-cooled uses air from the back side of the compressor wheel to cool the center (air temp off the back side on the compressor is roughly half the front side). Both require simply adding some more grease to the center as it gets consumed, which they recommend 2-3 pumps every 2-3k miles (keep it simple and do it with your oil change). The center sections have a standard grease fitting already on it so when you're installing the turbos just have them clocked so this fitting is easy to access. When the time comes to re-grease them just use their grease, 2-3 pumps at this already installed fitting on each turbo and done, keep on enjoying!
Old 01-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #122
Huron Speed

Here is an oil less turbo. You can see the port for the coolant and then on top the grease fitting
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #123
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
So what have been the difference between these oiless turbo then the old ones where I have seen multiple problems with? It would suck really bad if these turbos do not last and having to go back to conventional oiling setup and now have to setup a scavenge pump.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #124
Huron Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
So what have been the difference between these oiless turbo then the old ones where I have seen multiple problems with? It would suck really bad if these turbos do not last and having to go back to conventional oiling setup and now have to setup a scavenge pump.
We have been running oil-less for years now on many different applications and not a single failure. I am not sure what they changed in their current version 3.0 oil-less from 1.0 and 2.0 but I can tell you we have not had a single failure or even issue with any 3.0's and been running for years on many different vehicles! If you do not wish to run them we can set you up with oiling, but if it was not an excellent option I would not push to sell them with our kits that have our name on them.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #125
floridanick

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huron Speed View Post
We have been running oil-less for years now on many different applications and not a single failure. I am not sure what they changed in their current version 3.0 oil-less from 1.0 and 2.0 but I can tell you we have not had a single failure or even issue with any 3.0's and been running for years on many different vehicles! If you do not wish to run them we can set you up with oiling, but if it was not an excellent option I would not push to sell them with our kits that have our name on them.
Good to know. That was something I was wondering about too. That would save alot of additional work.
floridanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #126
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
How do you tap into the coolant system to run coolant through the cartridge?

A high temp grease makes more sense if the cartridge is being properly cooled.
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote