Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #197
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I think you guys completely changed the thread.

OP asked if the C8 would push people to Camaro...………...or at least that's the title of the thread and OPs question.
Conversely would the incredible looks and performance of the base Vette suck the cream off the Camaro buyers, Challenger, Mustang, Shelby, Supra, Boxster, BMW and maybe the Benz Coupe and some low hanging Lotus drivers, Alfa C4... just about anybody with a beating heart of a performance aficionado.... it is here and mere mortals can afford it...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 07-27-2019 at 12:56 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #198
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
One aspect that I don't think has been brought up is labor, maintenance, and repair costs on a C8. There is going to certain repairs that will require dropping the engine and transmission which isn't going to be cheap! For that reason some people will be swayed to going with the Camaro. I would also be concerned about overheating on a mid engine car!
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #199
John_S

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
One aspect that I don't think has been brought up is labor, maintenance, and repair costs on a C8. There is going to certain repairs that will require dropping the engine and transmission which isn't going to be cheap! For that reason some people will be swayed to going with the Camaro. I would also be concerned about overheating on a mid engine car!

We don't know that. Lamborghini & Ferrari have all fixed most of their issues without always needing to drop the engine. You do not think the engineers at GM already thought about this? Mid engine beats Front engine every day of the week when it comes to performance.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #200
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
The C8 will be a disposable car just like the rest of the cars being built nowadays , the days of cars being around for decades are gone . Future repairs out of warranty will kill the used car market for the C8s ,may have another gen 5 Z28 .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #201
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
We don't know that. Lamborghini & Ferrari have all fixed most of their issues without always needing to drop the engine. You do not think the engineers at GM already thought about this? Mid engine beats Front engine every day of the week when it comes to performance.
I can assure you it’s been considered. It may be more difficult for a full engine swap (rare) but design for serviceability is right up there with DFM/DFA.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #202
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
I can assure you it’s been considered. It may be more difficult for a full engine swap (rare) but design for serviceability is right up there with DFM/DFA.
How about doing a cam ?
Old 07-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #203
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
How about doing a cam ?
Hole saw... no problem!
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #204
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Hole saw... no problem!
LOL...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #205
oldman

Quote:
This has been said since the first Datsun 280Z with fuel injection. Please, not saying this is candy. Look at any V8 or V6 Audi with the north south engine in the front and 4WD. That engine is so packed in there you can't even slide a pinky between things. Yep some things will require a motor/transaxle drop. I'm sure there will be a jack made for it and a competent shop will do it faster than you think..
Old 07-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #206
bignaz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
After what they did to the refresh on the Camaro it's made me worried about what they will do in the future. That said the C8 is nice. Definitely higher cost to maintain because your now getting into the supercar style maintenance.

That said I got my C8 reserved and I can't wait for it. And soon as Hennessy offeres there packages I'll sending it out unless they have that all set up before I take dilivery. Then it's going right there.

I drove a Lafarrari, Huracan and I really wanna see what a 600+ hp Corvette feels like. Mid engine with all that torq.

But I don't see the C8 pushing people into the Camaro. If anything the price is pulling people out of the camaros.
bignaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #207
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
How about doing a cam ?
How often is a cam replaced for service? Like I said it’s been considered.

Was it designed for an owner to do a cam swap in their garage? I doubt that’s the typical Corvette buyer GM is targeting.

Mrs. Number 3’s XT4 just had the engine replaced because cam shafts weren’t available.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #208
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
I think you guys completely changed the thread.

OP asked if the C8 would push people to Camaro...………...or at least that's the title of the thread and OPs question.
Indeed it was...however. I did anticipate we would get off the rails like many threads tend to drift. Again, I found the comments albeit on non-related car forums that it would mention the vette purist / traditionalist not appreciating the mid engine & aggressive change in the lines pushing the away quite an interesting take. I'm with most here & really like what GM did here & was in agreement of seeing upper end Camaro lovers considering the entry C8.

I'm in the camp of not interested unless it has the Z51, mrc, etc...hell, to be honest, I'm more interested in seeing future Z06 / ZR1 & even a GS version. Being in a ZL1 the entry C8 isn't going to blow any skirts up, but doesn't mean one cannot appreciate what GM is doing here for $60k. I'll go look at the C8 when they hit the showroom but cannot imagine getting the warm & fuzzy's when I much preferred the ZL1 over the Z06. I just wasn't feeling it for some bizarre reason & felt crowded.

Bottom line, my concern is the future of the Camaro due to the rumors & how the C8 will affect little brother sales from now till end of Gen7 life...right now, the waters are still muddy & wouldn't want to wager. Before the announcement of getting whacked, my concern was more along do I want to mod or wait for the new lines with a LT5. Strongly leaning long term & the jannetty road course package. I genuinely like the lines of my ZL1 vs any other option out and/or headed our way.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #209
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
How often is a cam replaced for service? Like I said it’s been considered.

Was it designed for an owner to do a cam swap in their garage? I doubt that’s the typical Corvette buyer GM is targeting.

Mrs. Number 3’s XT4 just had the engine replaced because cam shafts weren’t available.
There are performance businesses out there that make Corvettes faster , i have a few in my area . The after market for Corvettes is a huge business , not everyone will be running around with thinking their C8 is fast enough .
Old 07-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #210
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignaz View Post

But I don't see the C8 pushing people into the Camaro. If anything the price is pulling people out of the camaros.
Yep, it is the cheapest supercar on the market, cheapest bang for the dollar and able to destroy just about any muscle car even with mods..