Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-31-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Tapping OEM intake manifold for IAT

I asked this on one of the FB forums, thought I would ask on here as well for any more input.

Since I put the LT4 fuel system on the car I had the Alky Controls meth inj turned off. Well after spending some time on the phone with the owner over at Alky Controls I am going to bring the meth inj back online and instead of using at a fuel source, use it as an actual cooling method.

I am gonna change out the dual 10gph jets and put dual 5gph jets in the system and then run a 50/50 mix of M1 methanol and distilled water. Here is where the post comes into play.

I am going to use the DSX tuning IAT/Baro breakout harness and move the IAT from the MAF and move it into the intake manifold. This way I can see the actual temps before, during and after boost has came on and so I can see what the meth inj is doing to the air temps while also logging A/F via the wideband to make sure the 50/50 mix is staying neutral on the A/F side.

Who all has moved their IAT into the OEM intake manifold, where did you move it to and what was your process like?

I am not really interested in using the silicone charge pipe, the meth inj is already in that pipe and is located about 1" in front of the throttle body so there isnt any room there for anything else and I really want to allow some space so when the meth inj starts to spray that the solution has time to atomize and cool the air charge down.

Thanks in advance... Todd

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
TheDamme94

Drives: 2016 D1X Procharged Black 1SS
Off topic but any reason why you are swapping the meth out? If the system works, why change? Just curious
TheDamme94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:12 PM   #3
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
I will also be turning down the meth to become less reliant on it when I upgrade my fuel side to LT4 hpfp and injectors backed by the dsx aux low side. I currently have triple nozzles and my IAT sensor broke out and tapped into the intake manifold right behind the throttle body on the passenger side. I'll take a look for a pic.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
Choda

Zoom in
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
TJay74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamme94 View Post
Off topic but any reason why you are swapping the meth out? If the system works, why change? Just curious
Because the shop that did my install was adamant you couldnt make 650rwhp on a LT1 setup with a Procharger D1SC without the engine going boom. So $1500 later in add on parts they installed the meth inj system.

Then after I knew that my hunch was right on using the LT4 stuff I went and installed the rest of the LT4 fuel system and was able to make around 600rwhp with 91 octane and 650rwhp with E40 and no longer had to worry about filing the meth inj tank or worrying if the meth inj system had failed.

I wasnt then and am still not a huge fan or believer in meth inj, specially when it is used a "poor mans" port fuel inj system. I do believe in using it as it was designed, to cool the intake air charge down after the air has been compressed and heated up.

By switching the meth inj over to use it for air cooling only and cutting the volume in half that means I should be able to go alot longer before I fill up and will actually be able to make more reliable and better power even when it gets warmer outside.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
Old 01-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
TJay74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
Zoom in
So I see it in the pic, just wondering that if the maybe 4" to 6" from where my meth inj nozzles are located (same place as yours) will be enough for the solution to be able to expand, atomize and be able to influence the air charge enough that the sensor will see the data change?

Old 01-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Choda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
So I see it in the pic, just wondering that if the maybe 4" to 6" from where my meth inj nozzles are located (same place as yours) will be enough for the solution to be able to expand, atomize and be able to influence the air charge enough that the sensor will see the data change?
mine works, no reason yours wouldnt.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
DapperDan

Drives: 2017 1SS A8 Nightfall Gray
Here you go. Pray installed
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
TJay74

Thanks DD, I actually did mine yesterday.

Took me about an hour from start to finish. I did goof up slightly in forgetting to disconnect the battery before I unplugged sensors, seems the newer vehicles still monitor sensors even with the key off as I had several errors I had to clear when I fired the car up. I cleared the codes and then unhooked the battery for a minute and hooked it back up and all of the sensors reset.

I made a couple of pulls yesterday and confirmed, the new IAT location works and I can see when the meth inj system is operating. Testing temps with it being 65° outside had the IAT at 87°, I then started a full 3rd gear pull and by the end of the run the IAT temps dropped to 57°.

Fuel pressures looked great, injector duty cycle was great. Only bad was it threw the A/F off some by making it richer. I will try and address that with a 35%/65% mix of methanol to water on the next batch. If that doesnt resolve the change to the A/F I will adjust the MAF tables in the affected areas to get the A/F back to the .83 Lambda it should be at instead of the .80 Lambda I am seeing now. A little rich wont hurt anything other than maybe drop the power a little bit.

Here are some pics, just a FYI in case you are wondering. The OEM intake manifold is just a smidge over 3mm thick where I installed the IAT.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Thanks DD, I actually did mine yesterday.

Took me about an hour from start to finish. I did goof up slightly in forgetting to disconnect the battery before I unplugged sensors, seems the newer vehicles still monitor sensors even with the key off as I had several errors I had to clear when I fired the car up. I cleared the codes and then unhooked the battery for a minute and hooked it back up and all of the sensors reset.

I made a couple of pulls yesterday and confirmed, the new IAT location works and I can see when the meth inj system is operating. Testing temps with it being 65° outside had the IAT at 87°, I then started a full 3rd gear pull and by the end of the run the IAT temps dropped to 57°.

Fuel pressures looked great, injector duty cycle was great. Only bad was it threw the A/F off some by making it richer. I will try and address that with a 35%/65% mix of methanol to water on the next batch. If that doesnt resolve the change to the A/F I will adjust the MAF tables in the affected areas to get the A/F back to the .83 Lambda it should be at instead of the .80 Lambda I am seeing now. A little rich wont hurt anything other than maybe drop the power a little bit.

Here are some pics, just a FYI in case you are wondering. The OEM intake manifold is just a smidge over 3mm thick where I installed the IAT.

Sweet, these pictures help a lot
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
TJay74

No problem man, hopefully it makes for an easy process for you.