Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #771
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
quote 0 to 60 mph takes 3.0 seconds with the entry-level model, 2.9 seconds with the Z51

Who's your dad now??
Yeah lol
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:16 AM   #772
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
I'm in the market for a Zl1 and always been a Camaro guy, but the C8 is a sexy beast. It's growing on me. Can't wait to see one in AYM... Shock is decent, but I'm hoping they bring back bright yellow for Camaro.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #773
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
c8s will spend more days at the strip than the road course
Maybe, maybe not. How many mid-engine cars show up at the dragstrip as it is? How many of those more than once or twice just to "see what she'll do"?

Quote:
It’s cheaper and more accessible.
Until people start running drag radials or slicks looking for hero short times and start breaking half-shafts . . . I don't see up to at least 3 hours travel and an overnight stay being much of an obstacle to anybody seriously looking at $60+k cars.

Norm
Old 08-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #774
6spdhyperblue

Yeah - $25 roll up on my all seasons and winding the car out is good enough for me. I don’t always run the drs...I have an hr drive and still leave when the kids go to bed on a Friday night

Don’t have to break anything. If you go for hero times that’s your choice. You can leave soft and still get to open up the car that would get you jail time on the street.

Seen 911s and nsx there this year. Plus plenty of vettes, going mid engine won’t change that. 10-15 years ago there were a few ford GTs there. To ask how many mid engines cars are there currently is a loaded question. The question back is how many mid engined cars that have muscle for $60k are out right now?

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 08-30-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #775
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Don’t have to break anything. If you go for hero times that’s your choice. You can leave soft and still get to open up the car that would get you jail time on the street
True, but you can't tell me that people who do go to the strip aren't ever going to shoot for exactly that. Something about the adrenalin running when there's a fast car in the other lane having a way of overcoming any original plans of taking it easy.

Norm
Old 08-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #776
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I bet the DSG has launch control and there is noway to break the stock axles sub 500 launches if ever.... 470 ft lbs of torque is easy to apply given the DSG's design. I never had one, but my brother races Boxsters and many VW guys abuse their DSG on a daily basis and I have heard of no issues. It really is game changing. low 11s drive it there.... buda bing buda boom.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #777
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I bet the DSG has launch control and there is noway to break the stock axles sub 500 launches if ever.... 470 ft lbs of torque is easy to apply given the DSG's design. I never had one, but my brother races Boxsters and many VW guys abuse their DSG on a daily basis and I have heard of no issues.
More than likely it at least features some sort off launch control. How well its calibration agrees with a prepared dragstrip is a separate question. Whether it can be turned completely off, yet another question.

What I have lots of faith in is that people are still going to be tweaking their dragstrip-bound C8s, and not just the wheels and tires.

Quote:
It really is game changing. low 11s drive it there.... buda bing buda boom.
If it's capable of low 11s on the street, where would you guess its potential strip performance lies? Mid 10s? Lower?

But sure, we're going to see amazing performance from this car.

Norm
Old 08-30-2019, 11:18 PM   #778
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
The DCT is basically two 4 speeds and two clutches. As with any manual trans it strength lies in the distance between the main and counter shaft, less so on width of gears, and lastly on strength of gear material (case assumed to strong enough). I do NOT see a new DCT for the FI C8, so this would mean the current DCT has sufficient countershaft distance to hold dunno 700 ft - lbs. So I highly doubt the current DCT will fail even with slicks given a stock engine and an unmodified factory launch control.

would agree given the ability to tweak the launch control and / or N2O injection, I'm sure somebody will fail it at the first night out..

1st gear ratio adds to torque rating also, the closer to 1:1 the stronger the 1st gear... which is always the weakest gear given it smallest turning the biggest on the counter shaft, which means less lever arm, smaller contact path.

Nutshelll, this DCT has to be WAY overkill with a 470 ft lbs engine.... even given cheaper gear material (within reason). I would suspect clutch failure first
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #779
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I will move from my ZL1 to a C8 Z06 if it receives the anticipated 5.5L engine and a manual trans.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #780
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
I will move from my ZL1 to a C8 Z06 if it receives the anticipated 5.5L engine and a manual trans.
And if it’s “A” but not “B”? There will be no manual.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 PM   #781
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
And if it’s “A” but not “B”? There will be no manual.
We’ll see, but it appears there will be a manual in the Z06 and ZR1
Old 08-31-2019, 06:48 PM   #782
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Read hints of the manual trans in GM Authority also....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...-800-hp-rumor/
Old 08-31-2019, 06:53 PM   #783
6spdhyperblue

That makes no sense. No way
Old 08-31-2019, 07:17 PM   #784
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote: