Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
Idyll
lost between two shores

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Kudos to Hyundai

Up until a couple weeks ago I knew almost nothing about Hyundai's, other than they come from S. Korea and that the Veloster N somehow won Road & Track's 2020 Performance Car of the Year.

Veloster N - 2020 Performance Car of the Year

Last week my son bought a 2020 Hyundai Veloster N w/ Performance Package (still waiting to take delivery as he's active duty Air Force in AZ and the deal was done in TX and documents need to be overnighted for signatures and returned), so of course we're now looking at what the mod world has to offer and we came across a Track Usage and Modification FAQ from Hyundai. KUDOS for making something so clear and straightforward to your car enthusiasts! It would be nice if other car manufactures would follow suit (maybe some do and I haven't seen it?), instead of using fear tactics like not using dexos2 oil will void your warranty.

I also like how they clearly state any damage caused by such modifications is not warrantable. So many people seem to believe their warranty is GONE when they do certain mods, but in reality it's only the specific damage the mod caused is not warrantable - has nothing to do with the warranty on the rest of the car.

Obviously GM could care less about another company's warranty statements related to modifications, but it does shed some common sense light on how service departments should operate with their line-up of performance cars and mods they know will inevitably be done, especially when it seems to be a never-ending discussion with people asking, "Will this CAI void my warranty?"

Old 08-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
All of that is perfectly reasonable, & I agree kudo’s to Hyundai for stating this so clearly
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
It looks to me that Korean cars are really trying to compete with their warranty. It's actually longer than some of the Japanese makes.

"Examples of engine modifications that do not void the engine warranty, unless they cause damage to the vehicle..."

Nice on paper but I really want to see how it works out in real life. You know, if something does break, they won't pull the usual "yeah it looks like your mods broke the engine so no warranty for you" shtick.

Then there is also the dealer training(how well this is communicated with the dealers) on this kinda stuff. Hopefully, someone doesn't go into the dealer with this document and everyone working there looks at you like you are from another planet.

I will have to see some real examples of people actually having warranties honoured with modified cars to be impressed.

Oh, and if you look at the list, most of the modifications hot hatch owners would do are off the table anyway, like a tune or a blowoff valve.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Holy crap, big respect to Hyundai! Now that's a company that wants to sell their vehicles to the enthusiast community.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Hyundai and Kia have both come a long way, and make some fantastic cars for the money
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I own 5 cars, the other 4 are all Hyundai's... I have:

2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD with 140,000 miles (youngest daughter's car - bought in July 2006)
2012 Sonata SE with 85,000 miles (my DD - bought in Oct 2011)
2016 Sonata Sport with 30,000 miles (wife's car - bought March 2016)
2019 Elantra Value Edition with 10,000 miles (oldest daughter's car - bought May 2019)

All were bought brand new with less than 6 miles on the odometer, all have been excellent vehicles, easy to work on and maintain, excellent warranties and inexpensive parts...

If Hyundai built a Camaro, I would have bought it...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
I have a 2020 Hyundai Accent SE with 6 speed manual as my daily and it consistently returns an honest over 50 MPG tank after tank. I bought it brand new in October 2019 for just $13,900 OTD. The car feels light on its feet, is great fun to toss around and has a 10/100 warranty. Is it any wonder the Big 3 dropped out of the economy car market...
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
My Aunt is on her second Hyundai. The first one literally fell apart. It got more ragged each time a saw it. She eventually traded it in ...on another Hyundai. Its now in her driveway and won't run. Some people just never learn.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #9
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Hyundai ranks in the top 5 of all brands for used car reliability, not to mention they have the best new car warranty in the industry plus offer the most new car for the $$$. Korean cars have come a long long way...
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #10
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I know a co-worker in the past that has an Accent from the early 2000s. High mileage and all, and he doesn't have any issues with it. It was supposedly owned by a mechanic before which probably helps as well. Supposedly those Accents are pretty robust from what I have read.

Personally I am kinda whatever about Korean cars but I do like the Veloster's design with the different number of doors on each side. Stingers also saw some great reviews and I see them in my area from time to time. Supposedly Kia got some ex-BMW designers on the Stinger, and it shows.

Usually the downfall seems to be their resale value doesn't seem to be as good but yeah, I know some people who got a good deal and are happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I just think about the entry price into the Camaros amazing chassis and wonder

That being said, gm leaves a lot of discretion and power to the dealer. This is direct to customer and very powerful. They spend millions of shareholder dollars trying to rebrand, yet leave it to mostly self indulged morons to ruin it. That is why we resort buying from dealers that come highly recommended here, despite being 8hrs away, just to get the same level of service imports provide down the block.
In my experience and from what I have seen on Honda and Mazda forums, their dealers are also a mixed bag. Some of them are good, others, not so much. It's not uncommon to see Mazda dealers seeing an RX-8 show up and think it's a spaceship from Mars. Honestly, I doubt an average Hyundai dealer is gonna be much better than an average GM dealer.

If you wanted to be treated like a King, go buy a Porsche or any luxury brand. Just realize you really gotta pay for that level of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
If Hyundai built a Camaro, I would have bought it...
Stinger kinda fits your description. Now if it came in the Coupe form with a stick shift option, yeah, that would be something.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 AM   #11
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I think the result might be different if they had a production C8 (the test was from end of last year). But Hyundai clearly stepped up their game. Afaik they bought a lot of people from BMWs M department to lead their N vehicles.

The i30N which is the european counterpart of the Veloster N is a huge success here in Germany, you see them everywhere and the exhaust note is easily one of the best from a 4cyl. Only downside is that the car is FWD only, i heard rumors that the refresh might offer AWD.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #12
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Thinking back to my Genesis 3.8 that was a fantastic little car performance wise. The M6 tranny was horrible until you put ATF in it then that fixed quite a few "problems" it had and that thing would scream. Really fun car.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #13
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Before I traded my ss 1LE, I saw the N and was very taken by the looks and how it "read". I took a test drive in one with the PP (additional 25hp and other goodies). I was VERY impressed. The handling was fabulous, way more nimble than the 1LE of course because of the weight advantage. But, coming from the LT1 motor, it just needed more power. If it had another 40hp, I would have bought it on the spot.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
I have a 2020 Hyundai Accent SE with 6 speed manual as my daily
A sleeper of a fun econobox. The manual makes all the difference and it's a pretty good one in the '20 Accent. Seats are good too.
Staves is offline   Reply With Quote