Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #15
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Our last messages apparently passed in cyberspace lol! More boost, less e. Wish it was the other way around!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #16
L78toLT1

On a totally unrelated note, i see you're in Richmond. I grew up in Chesterfield county (Enon)! Hope to make it up to VIR somrtime in the not too distant future.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 08-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss
Send a message via Skype™ to Hollard
Ted, or anyone that can provide an answer,

In the attached screenshot, in HPTuners in the "DTC's and Readiness Test" tab for reading check engine light codes, the 'MIL Is on: False' indicates what?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...6yK0lPA95-jt42

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
performance mods: Whipple 2.9; LT4 fuel system; 2" Kooks Longtube Headers w/ Green Cats; RotoFab Big Gulp series CAI; GPI forged pistons & rods; BTR stage 3 camshaft; DSX Flex Fuel Sensor; JMS Voltage Booster; JRE tune
Hollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #18
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Our last messages apparently passed in cyberspace lol! More boost, less e. Wish it was the other way around!
Lol!

Oh, okay. I'm at ~10psi of boost.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
performance mods: Whipple 2.9; LT4 fuel system; 2" Kooks Longtube Headers w/ Green Cats; RotoFab Big Gulp series CAI; GPI forged pistons & rods; BTR stage 3 camshaft; DSX Flex Fuel Sensor; JMS Voltage Booster; JRE tune
Old 08-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #19
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
On a totally unrelated note, i see you're in Richmond. I grew up in Chesterfield county (Enon)! Hope to make it up to VIR somrtime in the not too distant future.
Oh, yea! I was living right by Enon area before being out in Richmond area. Oh, and the Enon bridge is my "testing" ground for when I'm not in Surry on a back road. lol

I'm hoping to make it to VIR as well sometime soon. My 1st time would have been back in March but I got into a car accident with my daily driver the day before the event. Young kid, texting on his phone :(

My should was banged up and I know I wouldn't feel comfortable being out there while being new to the track trying to learn it and knowing I would tense up.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #20
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
Hey Hollard, how is our low side fuel pressure holding up on WOT runs? Mine drops into the 50's on sustained 140mph pulls. I believe that our low side fueling is at the limit when running on e60.
You know what, I will have to get back with you on that. I need to look back at my log(s) and see where it's staying at. I know it's in the 70+psi while full throttle up to 120 mph (a couple of small dips to 67 psi), but that was me seeing that when just skimming thru the log. Late tonight, I will look and let you know. I will look at the last log from my track day last week too. I only logged during 1 session and I can't remember is that 2nd session was the one were I hit up to 140 or not.

If that's the case with e60 being our limit, then that maybe the issue I'm having this whole time.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #21
Hollard
Space_Ghost

@L78toLT1 will take a look at a log tomorrow since I'm off on the fuel psi.

About an hour ago, I had grabbed the Camaro and have to fill it up some. Ethanol got down to 14%. I didn't have my laptop to get a quick data log. But did do two hard pulls. The 1st was up to 125 and no issue, no CEL. 5 minute later, 2nd pull up to 136 and again no issues, no CEL. At this point thinking it's the ethanol percentage.

Will try again later tomorrow and log.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #22
Hollard
Space_Ghost

So fuel psi dipped down to about 68psi for a quick fluctuation on a long pull, but once I'm pass 5,800 rpms, it'll stay in the 64.4 to 68.7 psi rang. Also, it dipped at low to 54psi at 6,296 rpm an was at 135 mph by then. On 32.5% ethanol.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #23
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollard View Post
So fuel psi dipped down to about 68psi for a quick fluctuation on a long pull, but once I'm pass 5,800 rpms, it'll stay in the 64.4 to 68.7 psi rang. Also, it dipped at low to 54psi at 6,296 rpm an was at 135 mph by then. On 32.5% ethanol.
No CEL when it dropped to 54psi? If not, you have to be close. I'll bet another 5 points of e and you'll be around 50 psi and throwing codes. It won't stop raining long enough for me to start mixing fuel and logging.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #24
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
No CEL when it dropped to 54psi? If not, you have to be close. I'll bet another 5 points of e and you'll be around 50 psi and throwing codes. It won't stop raining long enough for me to start mixing fuel and logging.
The log I was looking at is an old one from right after I got a revised tune and the codes weren't popping up. What is the minimum psi for fuel? Especially, if running e60? The requested pressure is set at 73psi while WOT.

I did some logging earlier before the rain started back up and while down to 13-14% ethanol, hard pulls up to 130 and 150, no CEL. That's good. Fuel psi mainly stayed 70+ with a couple of dips down to 68. The lowest the rail pressure hit was 2,796 psi once, but mainly 2,8000 - 3,100 psi.

So it seems it has to be the ethanol blend. Above E50 might be too much.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #25
Hollard
Space_Ghost

So the issues seems to be solved! I was running too high of an ethanol blend. Logged for the past 3 days, I'm good at e45. I might can go up to e50, but I'm sticking to e45. So no more codes and pressure is mainly staying above 70+ psi.

On the different days though, I've seen small dips to as low as 64 psi. I strongly believe my battery is playing a part on that, I could be wrong though. Bu1t a couple of times the car was taking too long to turn over and the meter for the battery have been barely 12 V lately when I would take notice and log. Today, steady a little over 14V, and from the log, no dip in fuel pressure below 70 psi. So I'm thinking the battery is playing a part in this. It's soon to hit 4 years old in a few months. Average life span of a car battery is what, 4 to 7 years?

So now, I may go back to Ted soon and see how doing a tune for race gas will work. I was thinking of doing an Aux Pump for the low side so I can run higher E content, but I've heard a couple of issues when running the road course.

So how would race gas tune work? Will I have to have two tunes at hand to switch back & forth, when wanting to run race gas and and another for when I want pump 93 only for highway trips? Or race gas can be adjusted to work in my current tune and I good to switch gas at anytime on one tune?

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #26
L78toLT1

In order to reap the full benefits of a race gas tune, you will also need to pulley down a bit for more boost. You and I are around 10 - 11 psi on e4X. We could bump it up a couple psi on race gas since the fuel system won't be taxed nearly as much. All else being equal, you need around 15% more fuel by volume on e blends. That's why your gas mileage suffers. I'm sure Ted can advise on how much boost your fuel system will support on race fuel and what pulley will get you there. I was toying with doing the same.
Back on the CEL issue: I did a baseline pull on 93 and the low side held in the low 70's. Mixed in some e to bring it to 32% but haven't logged a pull yet. I'm guessing that I'll land around e45 - e55. I'll keep you posted on my results.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #27
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
In order to reap the full benefits of a race gas tune, you will also need to pulley down a bit for more boost. You and I are around 10 - 11 psi on e4X. We could bump it up a couple psi on race gas since the fuel system won't be taxed nearly as much. All else being equal, you need around 15% more fuel by volume on e blends. That's why your gas mileage suffers. I'm sure Ted can advise on how much boost your fuel system will support on race fuel and what pulley will get you there. I was toying with doing the same.
Back on the CEL issue: I did a baseline pull on 93 and the low side held in the low 70's. Mixed in some e to bring it to 32% but haven't logged a pull yet. I'm guessing that I'll land around e45 - e55. I'll keep you posted on my results.
Gotcha!

Hope your results comes to that you can use up e55. Then I'll go out and try too. I was currently good at e45 (hptuners showing 44.7% ethanol).

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #28
L78toLT1

Ok, Hollard. It finally dried out enough for me to get back to logging. I started at 12% alcohol and started working my way up. Everything was looking good, the low side held in the mid '70's, high side around 2800- 2900 to around 6800rpm or 145mph in 4th gear.
When I logged at 42.7% alcohol, I got a VEL with our usual two little friends, P069E and P0231. I'm not sure why I got the CEL, the low side stayed right around 70, highside 28 -2900. At 137mph/6378rpm in 4th the lopsided dropped briefly to 59, highside was 2,886. The low side quickly rebounded and I finished the run at 146/6,824, 67/2890. I don't feel the CEL's were justified at these numbers! I should also mention that the injector pulse width is good, max value just a hare over 5ms.
I'm going to send the log to Ted, and also do another pull around 60%e. Stay tuned for the results.

Tags
cel, e85, lpfp, p0231, p069e