Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
I got a SS 1LE w/ PDR because your car is worth about $1000 more with it. To me, it seems like a no brainier...get PDR. It doesn't even matter if you use it unless this is going to be your car until it goes to the junkyard.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY-1LE View Post
PDR yes worth it, HUD, i never use that thing
I want to like the HUD, I try to like the HUD, but between polarized sunglasses washing it out in the day making it hard to see, and the display itself blocking out incoming pot holes at night, I don't use it as much as I'd like.
The roads have been partially patched from last winter so the number of holes is down some, I have been able to get some use out of the HUD recently.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I somewhat regret not getting it. I was going by the youtube videos that I'd seen, and the video and audio quality are abysmal by today's standards. They're worse than my 8 year old gopro, and not particularly entertaining to watch as a consequence. Also, the number of datalogged channels that are overlaid on the video were not all that impressive. A cheap sub $20 phone app with a bluetooth OBD2 link can film and log nearly as much. And smartphones are ubiquitous these days, so I don't count the cost of the phone in the equation. You can buy a bluetooth OBD2 reader for as little as $20. If you really want top quality video, there are lots of good quality action cameras available now for a few hundred and you then also have flexibility of changing the perspective of the video. So, it was impossible to justify the PDR price based on that.

What I wasn't really aware of is how many channels get datalogged in the background with the pdr, and that's what makes it somewhat compelling if you really want to analyze the minutiae of your laps. For me personally, I see this as possibly having the biggest value as a troubleshooting tool years from now as the car ages. I wish they had an option of just the datalogging with GPS position that you could add your own video to, and leave their camera out, since the built in camera is a significant part of the pdr cost.

In summary, if you're not particularly tech savvy and want a simple, one button operation, or you can really see the value in the mountains of data you can get, this is worth it. If you just want some cool video to throw up on youtube, and/or maybe just some key data from track days, then not so much.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #18
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
I bought a 2SS 1LE and wanted the PDR, but could not find one with the PDR that did not also have a sunroof (?!?!). Ended up getting one without the PDR and hope to acquire much of the same data via the TrackAddict app and the PLX Devices Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool. Supposedly it will log a lot of data and overlay it to the video from the TrackAddict app.

Anyone think I am being overly optimistic?
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
I bought a 2SS 1LE and wanted the PDR, but could not find one with the PDR that did not also have a sunroof (?!?!). Ended up getting one without the PDR and hope to acquire much of the same data via the TrackAddict app and the PLX Devices Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool. Supposedly it will log a lot of data and overlay it to the video from the TrackAddict app.

Anyone think I am being overly optimistic?
I've used RaceChrono and was pretty happy with the results. It logs and overlays time, speed and g's that you get with your phone with whatever else you want from OBD2 onto a map of the track and/or video. But keep in mind that OBD2 is limited to engine parameters like RPM, throttle position, air temperature, etc for engine diagnostics. You're not going to get steering angle, brake force, suspension travel, oil temperature etc. That's where the real benefit of the PDR comes from if that info is really useful to you.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #20
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800MXZ View Post
I hope it is OK to ask - I am closing later this week on a 2018 1SS 1LE, and I have a choice between two cars the same color that I want (Hyper) but one has PDR, one does not.

Now that people have been living with the PDR for a year, is it worth $1300 to you?

I understand for the application to track the car where it can be invaluable, but for me outside of two or maybe three low lever AutoX events a year, it would just be a traffic camera.

Would you spend the $1300 on it twice?
Eh.. for basically street use and a little autocross? IMO no..

It's worth it for track use for sure, and you could always run a gopro then if you want higher quality video. (edit: to be clear, without the data.. but if you want your pretty youtube videos to post and have data with poor video to improve your driving with...)

For me, I wouldn't buy one without PDR (because I track the car also) so there COULD be a potential resale impact also by not getting it if you care about stuff like that.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
I somewhat regret not getting it. I was going by the youtube videos that I'd seen, and the video and audio quality are abysmal by today's standards. They're worse than my 8 year old gopro, and not particularly entertaining to watch as a consequence. Also, the number of datalogged channels that are overlaid on the video were not all that impressive. A cheap sub $20 phone app with a bluetooth OBD2 link can film and log nearly as much. And smartphones are ubiquitous these days, so I don't count the cost of the phone in the equation. You can buy a bluetooth OBD2 reader for as little as $20. If you really want top quality video, there are lots of good quality action cameras available now for a few hundred and you then also have flexibility of changing the perspective of the video. So, it was impossible to justify the PDR price based on that.

What I wasn't really aware of is how many channels get datalogged in the background with the pdr, and that's what makes it somewhat compelling if you really want to analyze the minutiae of your laps. For me personally, I see this as possibly having the biggest value as a troubleshooting tool years from now as the car ages. I wish they had an option of just the datalogging with GPS position that you could add your own video to, and leave their camera out, since the built in camera is a significant part of the pdr cost.

In summary, if you're not particularly tech savvy and want a simple, one button operation, or you can really see the value in the mountains of data you can get, this is worth it. If you just want some cool video to throw up on youtube, and/or maybe just some key data from track days, then not so much.
The video/sound I get replaying my SD cards through a cheap SD reader on my macbook is miles ahead of the crap PDR videos I've seen on youtube.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #22
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I want to like the HUD, I try to like the HUD, but between polarized sunglasses washing it out in the day making it hard to see, and the display itself blocking out incoming pot holes at night, I don't use it as much as I'd like.
The roads have been partially patched from last winter so the number of holes is down some, I have been able to get some use out of the HUD recently.
Dear Chevy,

HUD, no.

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #23
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Dear Chevy,

HUD, no.

lol
In theory I really like it, just thought I'd be able to use it more.

Just to clarify my earlier post, you can see it in the day time, it's just all green in appearance with polarized sunglasses like first gen HUD, and you have to crank it all the way up.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #24
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
It's great to get the track and other performance data with the various overlay etc. Since I track the car it's invaluable to me. As a video camera the quality is low by today's standards, it only does 720p @ 30fps

Last edited by carguy55; 08-17-2018 at 12:12 PM.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #25
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Isn't the PDR getting a refresh with the '19s too? I swear I read it somewhere.

FWIW I fully intend on ordering it for my '19.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #26
DaggerMouth

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I use it daily as a dash cam and to film trips to mexico. Great addition to the car.
DaggerMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #27
800MXZ

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
FWIW - I am closing a deal on a car in the morning on a car with the PDR, the choice to go with or without only steered me towards one dealer or another based on who had what

Thanks for the feedback
800MXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:55 AM   #28
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY-1LE View Post
PDR yes worth it, HUD, i never use that thing

Is your HUD Crooked? Mine is canted over, not level.

My 2012 C-6 Corvette is dead nuts square on the Windshield.

I shut the HUD off in my Camaro. It gives me a stomach ache looking at that thing all over the place and out of alignment.
It makes me want to sit back on my seat and kick my feet through the Windshield.
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote