Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
2019 Camaro SS and V6 get worse fuel economy

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/07/...o-fuel-economy
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Blah, who buys one of these and really cares about fuel mileage...I can understand for the V6, but a V8? seriously now.

Anyway whoever thought just because you're adding more gears in the transmission that automatically you're granted more fuel mileage has no idea about how cars work.

Think of how often the torque converter will have to lock and unlock.. The 10 speed wasn't meant to save fuel - it was meant to help performance.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
STYLO LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Blah, who buys one of these and really cares about fuel mileage...I can understand for the V6, but a V8? seriously now.

Anyway whoever thought just because you're adding more gears in the transmission that automatically you're granted more fuel mileage has no idea about how cars work.

Think of how often the torque converter will have to lock and unlock.. The 10 speed wasn't meant to save fuel - it was meant to help performance.
Exactly... and the change isn’t all that drastic to keep someone from buying one. -1 mpg. Not a deal breaker for sure.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Meh, I don't agree. Maybe V8 buyers don't care as much, but if the car got 5MPG, I'm sure V8 buyers would care and look at substitutes. It does matter, even to V8 guys.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Meh, I don't agree. Maybe V8 buyers don't care as much, but if the car got 5MPG, I'm sure V8 buyers would care and look at substitutes. It does matter, even to V8 guys.
Yeah at 5 MPG but realistcally that isn't happening in any new car as something like that wont fly by CAFE standards.. At 455 HP and over 23 MPG on the highway ... come on ... a loss of 1 MPG for 2 extra gears is not going to hurt anybody.

The only way you "may" see a gain is by increasing the overdrive ratio in 9th and 10th gear. The 10 speed was likely designed to bring the gear ratios "closer" together keeping the vehicle in the power band as long as possible. It was not likely designed to increase the overdrive gear (making the last gear smaller in diameter - which would also spread the gear ratio out, defeating the purpose of making the transmission unless you wanted most of your power band burried at over 140 MPH which is unusable for 99% of drivers.) That stated (I haven't seen the gear ratios so I could be wrong but).. I highly doubt there's a huge difference between 8th gear in the 8 Speed Auto and 10th Gear in the 10 Speed Auto.

The Camaro SS is not an economy car. If you get 30 MPG thats great...but this car was never designed to be a economy box...it has fuel saving features to help it along the way but thats not the theme of the vehicle. If you're concerned about fuel mileage, don't buy a V8.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
They probably snuck in some more HP but didn't tell anybody so the insurance wouldn't rise.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Not too concerned about it. Not sure 100% on the fuel economy testing rules( maybe martin can explain them better), but it all could be down to rounding. Maybe when they tested the 2016's, the test resulted in 26.6 MPG resulting in allowing GM to say Camaro got 27 MPG on the highway. Testing on the 2019 resulted in 26.4 MPG making GM round down.

It could all be a result of decimals and rounding......
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Assuming all else being equal, the tranny is more than likely programmed for performance rather than fuel economy. If that's the case, 1 mpg isn't a big deal.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #9
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Going from a v6 to v8 I can tell the difference, yet it’s not nearly enough to bitch about, being I was already hitting the gas pump regularly in my 2lt.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Assuming all else being equal, the tranny is more than likely programmed for performance rather than fuel economy. If that's the case, 1 mpg isn't a big deal.
Possibly but isn't the reason we are seeing more 8, 9 and 10 speed transmissions because they are supposed to be more efficient than what they are replacing?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
thepurplestig

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
The manual SS is getting less MPG too. So I don't think the transmission is making a big difference. Maybe is just extra drag from the redesign. Who knows?
thepurplestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
I believe the EPA has tweaked its testing procedures during the last couple of years, so that may have something to do with it. It will be interesting to see if any other 2019 models show unexpected increases or decreases.

If you want to have hours of fun comparing 2018 vehicles to 2019 vehicles, go here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...tion=sbsSelect.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
The thing that irritates me is that Autoblog did not bother to contact anyone at Chevrolet to ask why this is the case.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
STYLO LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
The thing that irritates me is that Autoblog did not bother to contact anyone at Chevrolet to ask why this is the case.
Good point.