Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Got my car back after a month, not even a week later - same issue.

And here I am posting from the waiting room inside the local dealership.

3rd repair attempt. Car loses power steering randomly while driving. They replaced a connector on first attempt. Second attempt got way escalated to GM and had engineers flying down to Austin and held my car for a month trying to replicate the issue and couldn't because no DTC's were being stored so they replaced a corroded connector connected to the power steering.

Well today it went out again...this time I brought it to them while it is happening and hopefully they can find a DTC .. so now they have it while it has no power steering

I've escalated way up to the BBB and Chevrolet Customer Service .. Chevrolet Customer Service doesn't care that the vehicle is potentially unsafe. BBB says I need at least 4 repair attempts before 12,000 miles to be eligible for vehicle replacement... And I'm at 11,000 ... So pissed right now.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
BRKGBAD

Drives: my feet
*Editing for privacy*

Last edited by BRKGBAD; 01-10-2023 at 03:22 PM.
BRKGBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKGBAD View Post
Wouldn't you be eligible under Lemon Law?
According to lemon law attorneys and the BBB I need 4 repair attempts before 12,000 miles other wise the only thing I can have them do is keep repairing it.

The system is heavily rigged. I also found out the lemon law sector of the BBB is funded by the auto manufacturers so they are going to play the court in their favor ..not the consumers
Old 08-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
According to lemon law attorneys and the BBB I need 4 repair attempts before 12,000 miles other wise the only thing I can have them do is keep repairing it.

The system is heavily rigged. I also found out the lemon law sector of the BBB is funded by the auto manufacturers so they are going to play the court in their favor ..not the consumers
Not sure about TX, but in CA it is 4 repair attempts within the warranty period, not in the first 12K miles for lemon law requirements. As long as the first repair attempt occurred within the warranty period, you are even covered outside the warranty mileage.

You may want to research TX lemon law requirements. I can't imagine they would be more strict than California.

I have gone thru the lemon law process a few times in my life, everyone of them successfully.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
Need4Camaro

Well they finally diagnosed it while it was running. I told them not to turn it off and they got the DTC and FINALLY they diagnosed it as the steering torque sensor. (Like I've been telling them for the whole month.) and they are ordering it now. I'm praying to God this is the last of this issue.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
TWick72

Drives: '17 2SS M6
This happened to me and they need to replace the power steering rack/motor. Thats what fixed it.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWick72 View Post
This happened to me and they need to replace the power steering rack/motor. Thats what fixed it.
hopefully the torque steering sensor will fix it, thats the only code that came up. Ive been seeing alot that the torque steering sensor is the culprit. I wont mind them replacing the rack / motor but getting them to do that will be like pulling teeth.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
stangs024

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
OP hopefully they can finally get it fixed for you, that sounds like a nightmare to say the least. If for some reason they can't though, check out this page - there are a few different ways you can qualify as eligible

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law
stangs024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Sorry to hear that. Keep us updated
Old 08-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
Need4Camaro

So here is another thing I really need an opinion and insight on...

I love my 2SS to death and I know its a machine, its going to have hurdles. Im not "pissed" that this issue exists on a brand new car, cars today are complex creations and there's no way every single model is going out the assembly line perfect... my thing is, as long as the issue is willing to be respectfully resolved and not haggle over nickles and dimes of my time...we're still cool.

Here is what is really pissing me off about this situation though. The loss of power steering is potentially a safety hazard if it happens when you least expect it, or possibly while making a low speed turn and suddenly the wheel doesnt pop back into place and you find yourself going into a ditch... Chevrolet however wants to "replicate" the issue...and not all issues set off DTC codes. I provided sufficient evidence (a video) of the problem...yet my car gets held up for a month instead of just nuking the problem with replacing the torque steering sensor (likely probably cause).. I even got Chevrolet Customer Service involved and it got escalated pretty high up there but their conclusion was... "well your car hasnt been in the shop enough times to qualify for a replacement or anything else other than continuing to repair it" ...this was literally a month after the shop took delivery.. and Im like "Okay so you want me to continue driving it, potentially risking my safety, the safety of others on the highway...just so you can replicate an issue." ..and they even got rude and told me they weren't going to go back and forth with me over this problem and they provided their final answer...or basically Im stuck with a $50,000 car that intermittently loses power steering and they're PERFECTLY okay with that... and finally here is what is really f*cked up about this system... or atleast from what I know of it...
...the customer surveys...
...The rep who took delivery of my car is of course, not the mechanic or even the person who diagnosis it...he takes keys, makes paperwork, sends it to the shop...and all the survey falls on HIM...what the hell?... He has nothing to do with any of this. To his respect he really did everything within his power but his power was limited.. He gave me his cell, gave me updates via text, gave me a free tank of gas, promised free oil changes even... he wants a good survey -- now on the behalf of the dealership though... Chevy needs to know this system is f*cked up... I don't want to risk my safety trying to prove I have a problem by continuously driving it until somehow the power steering goes out when I've already confirmed it.

GM needs a way to be more flexible about these sort of non-reproducible issues especially when it has to do with how the vehicle is controlled such as a steering issue instead of putting it back on the customer.

What should I do about the survey? I dont want the rep to take all the heat...but GM needs to know this is seriously ****ed up.

I'm already going to make a video about this issue and make sure it gets visibility.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Usually the surveys have some lines that distinguish between repair and service writer. If so give a 10 to the writer and zeros to the others? Maybe that will get attention.
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So here is another thing I really need an opinion and insight on...

I love my 2SS to death and I know its a machine, its going to have hurdles. Im not "pissed" that this issue exists on a brand new car, cars today are complex creations and there's no way every single model is going out the assembly line perfect... my thing is, as long as the issue is willing to be respectfully resolved and not haggle over nickles and dimes of my time...we're still cool.

Here is what is really pissing me off about this situation though. The loss of power steering is potentially a safety hazard if it happens when you least expect it, or possibly while making a low speed turn and suddenly the wheel doesnt pop back into place and you find yourself going into a ditch... Chevrolet however wants to "replicate" the issue...and not all issues set off DTC codes. I provided sufficient evidence (a video) of the problem...yet my car gets held up for a month instead of just nuking the problem with replacing the torque steering sensor (likely probably cause).. I even got Chevrolet Customer Service involved and it got escalated pretty high up there but their conclusion was... "well your car hasnt been in the shop enough times to qualify for a replacement or anything else other than continuing to repair it" ...this was literally a month after the shop took delivery.. and Im like "Okay so you want me to continue driving it, potentially risking my safety, the safety of others on the highway...just so you can replicate an issue." ..and they even got rude and told me they weren't going to go back and forth with me over this problem and they provided their final answer...or basically Im stuck with a $50,000 car that intermittently loses power steering and they're PERFECTLY okay with that... and finally here is what is really f*cked up about this system... or atleast from what I know of it...
...the customer surveys...
...The rep who took delivery of my car is of course, not the mechanic or even the person who diagnosis it...he takes keys, makes paperwork, sends it to the shop...and all the survey falls on HIM...what the hell?... He has nothing to do with any of this. To his respect he really did everything within his power but his power was limited.. He gave me his cell, gave me updates via text, gave me a free tank of gas, promised free oil changes even... he wants a good survey -- now on the behalf of the dealership though... Chevy needs to know this system is f*cked up... I don't want to risk my safety trying to prove I have a problem by continuously driving it until somehow the power steering goes out when I've already confirmed it.

GM needs a way to be more flexible about these sort of non-reproducible issues especially when it has to do with how the vehicle is controlled such as a steering issue instead of putting it back on the customer.

What should I do about the survey? I dont want the rep to take all the heat...but GM needs to know this is seriously ****ed up.

I'm already going to make a video about this issue and make sure it gets visibility.
If they want to play hard ball and to CYA, if you are claiming it is a safety issue, then you need to not be driving it. They could argue, well if you deemed it a safety issue, then why are you continuing to drive it.

Just looking at it thru the legal system's eyes.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #13
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
If they want to play hard ball and to CYA, if you are claiming it is a safety issue, then you need to not be driving it. They could argue, well if you deemed it a safety issue, then why are you continuing to drive it.

Just looking at it thru the legal system's eyes.
I didn't continue to drive it.

On my second attempt when I took it in, about a week later (first week of July) they told me they couldn't replicate the issue and told me they couldn't do anything about it. I told them its a safety issue and I can't have it doing that and even though they can't replicate it, doesn't mean an issue doesn't exist. They told me that if they cant replicate the issue, GM can't honor it as a warranty claim therefor they will not be paid to fix it. I told them thats not my problem - I have proof (video) that my power steering is failing and told them I refuse to take delivery of the vehicle until its fixed... they weren't happy about that and I got the general manager of the dealership involved and he sided with me and thats how they had an engineer fly in to Austin... ...but they still couldn't replicate the issue (no DTCs) and couldn't figure out what to replace -- although I told them countless times its the steering torque sensor...they needed evidence...so they kept my car for an additional 3 weeks trying to figure it out (of which I didn't even get a loaner for, I had to use my secondary vehicle.)

Finally they reported they founded a corroded power coupler that links to the steering rack (and showed me pictures, it was corroded) and assumed that to be the issue...and replaced it, gave it back to me under the presumption it was fixed. Since its intermittent there's no way I can tell for certain if its fixed without driving it so Im going by their word (although I personally doubted it was fixed without the replacement of the torque sensor) ...and it went out again on me not even 3 days later...while I was going to work.

On the legal side of things, I've spoken to attorneys here already, they say on the legal side there isnt much that can be done until their 4th repair attempt fails...I can't replace the vehicle until 4 attempts safety complaint or not. Its not like I have a bunch of options in that regard... if I dont drive it I cant replicate the issue, if I cant replicate the issue I cant get it repaired under warranty. I can't sue them because the necessary due dilligence on my part has not been met. I've already reported to the NHTSA and also the FTC, neither of them give a damn. What else can I really do?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #14
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
that sucks I hope you get it fixed
NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote