Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
2014 SS convertible exhaust "flaps"

I've been mechanically inept most of my life and am working on learning now, slowly but surely. However, I've come into this a little later in life; So "for dummies" explanations are hugely appreciate. :P

I have a 2014 Camaro 2SS Convertible that's been making some funny noises. I had my local mechanic take a look and he pinpointed two issues, one of which is what he called 'restrictor plates' (I think) in the exhaust. The way he described them, it sounds like the same things referenced at https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374364, valves designed to keep the drone down at lower RPMs by restricting the exhaust.

He said we could replace them, but that a cheaper option may be to weld them open, which would give the car a little more throaty sound at idle.

So I've tried to do a little research myself. I came across a thread (which I've since lost) that referenced a fuse you could pull to keep these open at all times, which would be a much easier fix; but I think that was for a '16. I've also come across a couple threads about reversing the springs to hold them open. However, there seem to be several different things people refer to when talking about 'exhaust flaps' (including something on the optional NPP exhaust that I don't think verts had?) and I'm not sure if either of those two options apply to my situation.

Has anyone else run into this? Does anyone know whether a fuse pull or spring reversal would address my problem?

And exactly how loud is the car going to become if I stick the flaps open? Will I wake neighbors pulling in at night in a quiet suburban neighborhood? Is it going to drown out my subwoofer?

Thanks!
nbostaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
The butterfly flaps are used for when the car goes into active fuel management, when the pistons are shut down, the flaps close to create more back pressure... a lot of people will weld them open... it will not cause any additional noise to your system.

joe...
Old 05-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Those "flaps" are purely mechanical and there are no electronics that control them.

Just weld them open or get an axleback exhaust and they will be eliminated.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #4
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
Thanks guys. I'll get in touch with the shop and see what the cost is to weld them.
nbostaph is offline   Reply With Quote