Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-04-2022, 06:44 PM   #29
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Sorry to hear that, but hopefully GM will replace the engine. Sounds like it there is enough damage to warrant a new engine.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:15 PM   #30
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Here's the latest update. What a roller coaster ride!

So yesterday I find out that the service department was exaggerating how far they'd gotten with the tear-down. It turns out that as of the end of the day on Weds (1+ week of having the car in their service bay) all they had actually done was start the car to listen to engine make awful sounds and then slowly disconnect all the hoses and lines (but no engine removal and no tear-down yet). So I had to have a respectful "come to jesus" meeting with my service guy to make my (reasonable) expectations clear, and he made a commitment to make my car a priority and call me each day with an update.

Fast forward to today (24 hours later). He leaves me a message saying they've made lots of progress:
1) They identified that "a couple of bearings lower in the engine were spun and there were signs of metal overheating"
2) Obtained authorization from Chevy to replace the engine
3) Ordered an engine, which are in stock, available). Hoping the engine will arrive this coming Monday.

Seems like quite a lot of progress to make in one day (remove engine and tear down), but it seems like they keep the mechanics working in the garage well into the evening, after they shut down the reception area. But I'll take it.

No word yet on the cause of the failure. But given the multiple spun bearings, I'm assuming it was likely an oil pump, oil pick up tube or water pump failure.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:12 AM   #31
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post

So yesterday I find out that the service department was exaggerating how far they'd gotten with the tear-down. It turns out that as of the end of the day on Weds (1+ week of having the car in their service bay) all they had actually done was start the car to listen to engine make awful sounds and then slowly disconnect all the hoses and lines (but no engine removal and no tear-down yet). So I had to have a respectful "come to jesus" meeting with my service guy to make my (reasonable) expectations clear, and he made a commitment to make my car a priority and call me each day with an update.

Fast forward to today (24 hours later). He leaves me a message saying they've made lots of progress:
1) They identified that "a couple of bearings lower in the engine were spun and there were signs of metal overheating"
3) Ordered an engine, which are in stock, available). Hoping the engine will arrive this coming Monday.

Seems like quite a lot of progress to make in one day (remove engine and tear down), but it seems like they keep the mechanics working in the garage well into the evening, after they shut down the reception area. But I'll take it.

No word yet on the cause of the failure. But given the multiple spun bearings, I'm assuming it was likely an oil pump, oil pick up tube or water pump failure.
That would suck if it's the oil pump. People are already wanting to lump the 19s in on the bad oil pumps. Now possibly yours people are going to get very paranoid around here.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:29 AM   #32
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
That would suck if it's the oil pump. People are already wanting to lump the 19s in on the bad oil pumps. Now possibly yours people are going to get very paranoid around here.
Parts can fail regardless of trends. There are an infinite number of variables that could contribute to a possible oil pump failure that is completely unrelated to the original issue that GM had with the LT1/LT4 pumps.

BK
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:41 AM   #33
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Engine replacement = car sold. But you do race yours, so a replacement car would be a tough find

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:43 AM   #34
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:

Glad to hear that GM is going to replace your engine. Hope all goes well with the swap. Hopefully they will let you know eventually what they determine caused the failure.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:05 AM   #35
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
No word yet on the cause of the failure.
Glad there is progress.
To get good closure on the failure analysis, the techs doing the disassembly have to be as interested as we are. That might be a big ask.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #36
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
Parts can fail regardless of trends. There are an infinite number of variables that could contribute to a possible oil pump failure that is completely unrelated to the original issue that GM had with the LT1/LT4 pumps.

BK
Has not had. I don't think we're through with failed oil pumps on Lt4s just yet. We may be looking at a situation like the Coyote motors and their oil pump gears when adding boost to the equation.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:48 PM   #37
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
What's your build date? For future reference when tracking the oil should be at the top of the hash marks on the dip stick.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:15 PM   #38
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
What's your build date? For future reference when tracking the oil should be at the top of the hash marks on the dip stick.
Build date was September 2020.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #39
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
That's generally impossible to achieve consistently, though. The way the motor operates and the various locations where oil can "collect" cause the reading off of the dipstick to vary with each run/cool cycle. The best one can do is to add oil to get it near that top mark (if it's not there already) and then sort of "move on".

GM's guidance in the High Performance Supplement around this is more focused on ensuring that you don't find yourself in conditions / situations where the pump is starved for oil, so the guidance is "try and keep it as full as you can."
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #40
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Has not had. I don't think we're through with failed oil pumps on Lt4s just yet. We may be looking at a situation like the Coyote motors and their oil pump gears when adding boost to the equation.
I think it is interesting to note here the OP's car is a 2SS. I.E. LT1, not LT4.

I have not seen any numbers on the frequency of oil pumps failing on LT1. But considering they use the same oil pump as the LT4, I cannot say that I am surprised.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:23 PM   #41
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I think it is interesting to note here the OP's car is a 2SS. I.E. LT1, not LT4.

I have not seen any numbers on the frequency of oil pumps failing on LT1. But considering they use the same oil pump as the LT4, I cannot say that I am surprised.
I'm frankly surprised that my original, 2016 pump did not fail in 33k miles given that the mods in my signature have been installed for around 16k miles. My motor is apart now due to a dropped valve. I'm going back with either a Katech or the latest part # GM pump.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:23 AM   #42
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I'm frankly surprised that my original, 2016 pump did not fail in 33k miles given that the mods in my signature have been installed for around 16k miles. My motor is apart now due to a dropped valve. I'm going back with either a Katech or the latest part # GM pump.
Just curious but do you know why your engine coughed up a valve?
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote