Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
topkat
topkat

Drives: Red 2017 SS camaro
Noisy interior

Hi folks, I’m thinking of adding sound insulation to 2017 SS has anyone tried this, what products did u use and how successful was it? Thanks for any info..
topkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Can use Dynamat but----- what noise are you trying to get rid of. It doesn't help that this car has big fat tires and the runflats are noisy anyways. Thing about trying this stuff is that you have to put it everywhere or nowhere. Everywhere is a big task. If it is tire noise and in general that is what it is , where is it coming from?

For example using dynamat in the trunk around the shocks is a good place as the noise is mostly tires. So now what about for the front. You going to take apart the dashboard and put Dynamat up along the firewall? Maybe try the trunk and be happy with that? I don't see what it is going to get you pulling up the carpet and putting it there.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I agree with coolbreeze. Dynamat is a big job. And it'll get pricey.
I did two things:
1) Replace run-flats with all-seasons. I measured the decrease in road noise and posted it somewhere here. 3-4 dB on smooth asphalt road, IIRC.
2) delete sound tube. You have a 2017, so sound tube is there unless someone already deleted it.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Drives: Volt gen2, Colorado V6, soonCamaro
I've used the methods at Sound Deadner Showdown to silence road noise to Lexus levels. They're out of business but the website details how to sound deaden a car for maximum attenuation for the minimal amount of materials (weight).

The key is to mix Dynamat with mass loaded vinyl. You don't need to cover 100% of sheet metal with Dynamat, only about 30%, so that saves significant money and weight. I usually do a car in sections, so I'll start with the doors, then the trunk and wheel wells, the roof (very lightly, don't want much weight up there), and finally if it's still too noisy I'll do the floor.
AlphaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
OP, I was in the same position. Contrary to belief, changing tires won't help much. I switched out the original run flats with General AS 05 all seasons. Had a lot of data with a decibel meter. Same area, same speed, everything was the same, produced no change in decibel reading. Maybe other all seasons will be different, but the generals were no change.
I put dynamat all throughout the trunk, over to back half of the fender wells, and notice only a slight change. I am about to remove the back seat and do all under the seat, and the front part of the rear fender wells.
FYI, on decibel readings. 1 decibel change you will not notice. 2 decibels about 60% of people will notice. 3 decibels will be noticed by more than 90% of people. 4 decibels will be VERY noticeable. If you are hard of hearing, in some instances your hearing can become more sensitive.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
slimjim2525

Alpha dream is correct.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim2525 View Post
OP, I was in the same position. Contrary to belief, changing tires won't help much. I switched out the original run flats with General AS 05 all seasons. Had a lot of data with a decibel meter. Same area, same speed, everything was the same, produced no change in decibel reading. Maybe other all seasons will be different, but the generals were no change.
I put dynamat all throughout the trunk, over to back half of the fender wells, and notice only a slight change. I am about to remove the back seat and do all under the seat, and the front part of the rear fender wells.
FYI, on decibel readings. 1 decibel change you will not notice. 2 decibels about 60% of people will notice. 3 decibels will be noticed by more than 90% of people. 4 decibels will be VERY noticeable. If you are hard of hearing, in some instances your hearing can become more sensitive.
The same Generals when run on my car are much quieter. I honestly don't find a problem with sound in the Camaro. Wifes old Accord which is now the kids Accord '09 was the loudest car I have ever been in.

In the catagory of irony are we running loud exhausts and complaining about a noisy car???
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #8
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
dynomat all you want (and i have)... it wont save you from the interior plastic rattling that happens in various random places where the panels touch other hard surfaces (like other plastic).

The main camaro legacy brought forward from fbody days.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #9
topkat
topkat

Drives: Red 2017 SS camaro
Noisy interior

Hey guys thanks for our sugestions,my main concern was in front,put on new non run flat tires and it took away a certain noise that was bugging me, then it was in the rear, however the tires have only 3000 miles,and are not run flats, just sounds like damn snow tires and they are tread is all weather and looks new, had diff fluid changed at dealer, no help, dealer says is normal.love the car the exhaust is stock maybe a louder exhaust will drown out the tire noise. Hay I’ll think of something, thanks again.
topkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #10
slimjim2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
The same Generals when run on my car are much quieter. I honestly don't find a problem with sound in the Camaro. Wifes old Accord which is now the kids Accord '09 was the loudest car I have ever been in.

In the catagory of irony are we running loud exhausts and complaining about a noisy car???
Decibel meter does not lie. Hondas are well known for not isolating road noise. My wifes 2018 CR-V is equally as loud inside as the Camaro. Decibel meter proven. Road noise from lack of sound deadening is vastly different then exhaust.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #11
slimjim2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
dynomat all you want (and i have)... it wont save you from the interior plastic rattling that happens in various random places where the panels touch other hard surfaces (like other plastic).

The main camaro legacy brought forward from fbody days.
I have absolutely no interior rattles of any kind.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim2525 View Post
I have absolutely no interior rattles of any kind.
It's great, but your car is fairly new still. That said, mine doesn't rattle anywhere either, save a bit for the coiled-up wiring I installed for the rear dash cam, it's shaking a bit at idle. In no way GM's fault of course, I'll fix it next time I get under the headliner

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #13
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by topkat View Post
Hey guys thanks for our sugestions,my main concern was in front,put on new non run flat tires and it took away a certain noise that was bugging me, then it was in the rear, however the tires have only 3000 miles,and are not run flats, just sounds like damn snow tires and they are tread is all weather and looks new, had diff fluid changed at dealer, no help, dealer says is normal.love the car the exhaust is stock maybe a louder exhaust will drown out the tire noise. Hay I’ll think of something, thanks again.
I've lived all over the US and I've learned over the years that road noise is also dependent on the quality of the road surface and what tires you're driving on. 20 years ago I went from the Northeast to Oregon. Brand new cars, no problems driving around Mass. NH, and Maine, but once we got to the west coast, omg....Road noise was unbearable, same vehicles, tires etc. The difference was the road surface.

Hey topkat, I see you have Jamestown NC...our roads here in the NC are really noisy to begin with anyway with a lot being concrete on the highways. If I'm on a nice asphalt road, my 1LE is quiet, go to/from work on the highways and it's noisy. It is what it is.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
I've lived all over the US and I've learned over the years that road noise is also dependent on the quality of the road surface and what tires you're driving on. 20 years ago I went from the Northeast to Oregon. Brand new cars, no problems driving around Mass. NH, and Maine, but once we got to the west coast, omg....Road noise was unbearable, same vehicles, tires etc. The difference was the road surface.

Hey topkat, I see you have Jamestown NC...our roads here in the NC are really noisy to begin with anyway with a lot being concrete on the highways. If I'm on a nice asphalt road, my 1LE is quiet, go to/from work on the highways and it's noisy. It is what it is.
Noisiest road for me is the stretch of I-40 as you approach RDU from the west. Just a clackity clack for miles. Worse than I-75 approaching Detroit from the south!!
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote