Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #57
Godfatha

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I disagree.

Ford developed cars like the GT500 and BOSS 302 without the Camaro. GM bases its development off the competition. Other manufacturers build what they want.
Gotcha, but you're talking about cars that a very small segment of the population has. I should have been more clear, the competition between the GT and SS makes the cars better. Even with the V6 models, although if you're getting the V6 you're not as concerned about performance.
Godfatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #58
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
mustang sales jumped when the Camaro was gone. they don't have a Corvette either. No compettion wouldn't be had for them at all.

on the other hand they are more complacent than chevrolet. remember what HP was for the 2005 mustang gt ? 300. Remember what it was 5 years later when the 2010 Camaro came out ? 300.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #59
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
mustang sales jumped when the Camaro was gone. they don't have a Corvette either. No compettion wouldn't be had for them at all.

on the other hand they are more complacent than chevrolet. remember what HP was for the 2005 mustang gt ? 300. Remember what it was 5 years later when the 2010 Camaro came out ? 300.
if i'm not mistaken, the 2010 mustang was released before the 2010 Camaro, and they didn't know the hp numbers for Camaro. for 2011, the mustang gt jumped up to over 400hp. I would bet my life, that if Camaro didn't come back, they'd still be at 315hp, from 2010.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #60
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
The Challenger is increasing in sales because both Ford and GM have increased the amount of "ugly" in their respective pony car.
Completely agree. AT this point my only option for Camaro replacement is the Challanger. I can't fit in a Corvette so my options are limited as I wouldn't even consider the 2019 Camaro.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #61
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfatha View Post
Gotcha, but you're talking about cars that a very small segment of the population has. I should have been more clear, the competition between the GT and SS makes the cars better. Even with the V6 models, although if you're getting the V6 you're not as concerned about performance.
It’s pretty clear that base car performance matters very little. The Mustang has historically outsold the Camaro, even with lower performance. Ford knows what is going to sell a car.

Quote:

The 5.0 Coyote came out in 2011. It takes way more than a year to develop a completely new engine.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #62
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

yes PMC in the spring of 2009 when the magazines were testing the new camaro against the mustang they had already released the 2010 with the new styling, but still no change to the motor.

they were 50 HP down the to the camaro in the 90s too and their buyers didn't care
Old 04-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #63
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Competition breeds success. When you're the only game in town and have no competitors, the status quo is good enough. Competitors push you to make a better product. Evolve or die.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #64
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
yes PMC in the spring of 2009 when the magazines were testing the new camaro against the mustang they had already released the 2010 with the new styling, but still no change to the motor.

they were 50 HP down the to the camaro in the 90s too and their buyers didn't care
Perhaps, but when the competition has a v6 variant that almost matches your v8, you need to make some drastic changes. lol
Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #65
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

yeah and the challenger 400hp version was 10k more. i remember people writing in to MT , 'why aren't you testing the RT, it's the same price as the SS?'
'er...because it's completely outgunned'
Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #66
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I disagree.

Ford developed cars like the GT500 and BOSS 302 without the Camaro. GM bases its development off the competition. Other manufacturers build what they want.
I disagree, yeah ford made special editions without being prompted, but they have had a steady flow of improvments to the GT and base models to keep in line with Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfatha View Post
Agreed

Quote:

That is because the new V-6 and Coyote engines weren't ready yet. I would have to bet they would have loved for them to go in the facelifted 2010 S197, but they simply weren't ready yet.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #67
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
It was a failed attempt a striking any design cues from the first gen in the front clip. The first thing that comes to mind with the 2019 front clip is Toyota for one, and the 2019 Silverado second. Its not tasteful, its not even really aggressive, its just awkward looking at best. Its 85% black grill, an out of place bowtie and in all that black grill, the all chrome headlights stick out like they dont belong.

When the transformers 6th gen was shown, my thoughts were "thank god that is just a movie car because what an ugly mess it is". I can't believe you guys greenlighted this mess.

Thankfully there is plenty of brand new 2017 and 18's left. I have a feeling they will sell fast.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #68
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Hopefully there are but a handful of these monstrosities on hand and still in GM’s possession that they can undo this mess and revert back. The whole project sucks and the looks are like my ex wife, tore up from the floor up!
That said, they can correct this or either let it run and suffer the consequences.
I’ll never get a newer one if something where to happen to my current Camaro and I’d opt to move to the Corvette which my wife would love for me to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #69
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Hopefully there are but a handful of these monstrosities on hand and still in GM’s possession that they can undo this mess and revert back.
I think it's a definite possibility that they could make really minor tweaks to the SS front design to put it in line with what people have all been kind of universally "photoshopping" the car to look like (ie: paint the blackout, move bowtie to the grill.)

The only real technical detail here is that the flowtie in the blackout is indeed an actual cutout to the radiator to help feed it air. That being said, I sincerely doubt that the CFM of airflow it provides is that large. It probably wouldn't lead to catastrophic failure if they removed it. I'm not saying it doesn't serve a functional purpose, but I think the flowtie is more-so a marketing gimmick.

I'll cite this as a case in point: When the 6th gen first launched, GM originally said, EXTREMELY firmly, that the SS had to have a 3 stanchion spoiler and would never be available with the blade spoiler that was then only optional for the LT. Forum members also noted that the stanchion spoilers left holes making the blade spoiler installation impractical. Well, within 6 months, GM reverted that decision and just made a minor production line change to put LT decklids on SS's that were sold with the blade option. And despite the fact that GM engineers initially claimed critical differences in downforce and aero properties, the blade spoiler was even treated as a performance part of sorts and embraced on all future 1LE trims.

So if the blade spoiler could make it to the SS despite engineers and GM execs saying it would never happen, I would bet similarly they can kill the center flowtie of the 2019 SS refresh. If the community very strongly wants something, and GM sees money left on the table and determines it won't be a major impediment to their production processes, they will listen and do it.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #70
GelflingEssence
Banned

Drives: 2016 Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
They should have directed the bean counters to the marketing dept. instead. .
Does GM even have a marketing department?
GelflingEssence is offline   Reply With Quote