Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #57
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo RS View Post
Wow, a lot of drama over a 5 year old car that all parts are readily available and paint codes are current.

Be glad you weren't this guy....

That guy should be shot!

I can't believe people would even mention repainting an entire car for a banged up front fascia. The factory fascia is not a "perfect" match. The fascia, rocker moldings, mirrors, etc. are all painted by the various suppliers yet no one seems to notice any matching problems.

Diminished value is real though. It bit me in the ass just recently. I was driving my wife's car when I got rearended by some old fart not paying attention. I was stopped and he probably only hit me at about 5 mph, but I was irate because my 4 day old baby was in the backseat. It was his first car ride since coming home from the hospital. I called the cops just to get the guy a ticket. The bumper was just scraped up on our car, but sure enough when we went to trade it in the damn carfax report said it was in an accident so the dealers wouldn't give as much. Whether it's nearly totaled, or just a paint scrape, if there is a police report it shows up on Carfax and it does not say anything about the severity of the accident.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #58
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
They will probably fix and paint that bumper cover. Paint the entire car? Serious? It's 6 years old. There is no diminished value for a 6 year old car. The factory paint doesn't match between the bumper covers so why would a aftermarket paint? They won't blend the paint from the cover to the body for that reason anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #59
turboguy327
Banned

Also, there is a D-bag in this story but it's not the guy that hit you....

Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #60
turboguy327
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
That guy should be shot!

I can't believe people would even mention repainting an entire car for a banged up front fascia. The factory fascia is not a "perfect" match. The fascia, rocker moldings, mirrors, etc. are all painted by the various suppliers yet no one seems to notice any matching problems.

Diminished value is real though. It bit me in the ass just recently. I was driving my wife's car when I got rearended by some old fart not paying attention. I was stopped and he probably only hit me at about 5 mph, but I was irate because my 4 day old baby was in the backseat. It was his first car ride since coming home from the hospital. I called the cops just to get the guy a ticket. The bumper was just scraped up on our car, but sure enough when we went to trade it in the damn carfax report said it was in an accident so the dealers wouldn't give as much. Whether it's nearly totaled, or just a paint scrape, if there is a police report it shows up on Carfax and it does not say anything about the severity of the accident.

It was a old as dirt Asian woman.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #61
hzl6cm

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS 6-speed manual
I never put this type of claim on my insurance. I never even involve my insurance company, why should I take the risk that it could result in me paying higher premiums. I have always dealt with the other guys insurance company and I have always gotten to go to the local body shop that I want to go to that I know does good work. The body shop does the negotiations with the company and they pay the body shop directly. They should be able to match the paint exactly. I manage to spin my Z06 and back it in to a ditch a few years ago which resulted in the replacement of the rear fascia, repair to one of the rear fenders and rockers and to this day, even when I hand wash the car, I could not tell you what panels were repainted and which ones weren't. I work at a car assembly plant and as somebody else mentioned, the fascia's that are put one the cars are painted off site and assembled on to the car after the rest of the car is painted. As to diminished value, keep pictures of the damage and when you go to sell it, show them to anybody that runs a report on it and asks about the accident and it shouldn't be an issue since that type of damage is easily repaired.
1970 Corvette Convertible, 350 Hp 350, 4-speed
hzl6cm is offline   Reply With Quote