#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #43
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
The car has 3 distinct SYSTEMS that permit customization of DRIVER selected performance modes. The systems are:
1) Traction Control System
2) StabiliTrack
3) PTM

My OP focused not on the systems, but the modes a DRIVER can select and what they provide and as such I believe my OP to be still correct. So, speaking of what mode a driver can select:

1) One can turn everything off by pushing the TC for 5 secs, meaning no nannies of any kind.
2) One can also have all the nannies, but different performance calibrations for eLSD, suspension, steering and exhaust by just selecting Drive Mode such as Ice/Snow, Touring, Sport and Track BUT NOT CLICKING the TC button.
3) One can have Competitive Mode, which disables TC but maintains StabiliTrak plus full motor power ONLY from Sport Mode by double clicking on TC button. This mode is then confirmed by a dash display.
4) One can enter PTM, only from Track Mode, by double clicking the TC button. Indeed, the screen briefly blinks Competitive Mode, but that is quickly overridden by a PTM displaying 5 choices: Wet, Dry, Sport 1, 2 and Race. At this stage, you MUST select one of the 5 choices. These choices are detailed in the "table" posted on page 1 of this thread. As you can see,
1st 3 provide StabiliTrack, while the last 2 don't. ALL 5 provide Traction Control ,albeit this varies depending which PTM mode one picks.
HENCE: it is impossible to achieve a Competitive Mode while being in Track, such as it is available under Sport, as TC never turns off in PTM.

But, one can get there "manually". That means go to Sport Mode, double click TC to get in Competitive Mode (which provides: zero TC, StabiliTrak on, full motor power) THEN go to Infotainment SETTINGS and change Steering, Exhaust and Suspension settings to Track.

Sport Mode is the only place to get there from. That was my point as stated in my OP. Having said that, in Track Mode, one can press TC button ONCE vs TWICE and it will turn off TC (and not launch PTM). However, only TC light shows then vs StabiliTrak as well and the manual states both have to be on for one to be in Competitive Mode (such as in Sport). So I don't know what a single press of TC in Track does as it is not explained anywhere. It COULD be the same as the Sport's Competitive Mode plus all "manual" adjustments as stated above, or it could be different.
That's why as I have stated in a separate thread: the HP supplement sucks and we defo need something better!

Cheers!
Great summary. Thanks.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #44
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Thank you - appreciate your feedback!
You may wish to review my post #1 as I think it does a best job explaining the driver mode options.
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #45
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Got myself all situated on track but somehow I kept changing it during the session. .. not sure if I hit the button with the heel of my hand or what. .. at one point I think I may have bumped the cruise control which put the car into a safer mode. Not sure. But I think everything off worked best. .. seemed like I had less brake fade which may have been imagined. In my M3 the car would use the brakes to "help" but seemed to only make the brakes fade that much sooner. . Seemed like a similar thing here but not positive.

Anyway, thanks again for putting this together
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #46
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
HENCE: it is impossible to achieve a Competitive Mode while being in Track, such as it is available under Sport, as TC never turns off in PTM.
This is false. It seems you are misunderstanding what competitive mode is and what turns off and doesn't fully turn off in track mode while using competitive mode and PTM in certain cases.

Competitive mode is what allows access to launch control for the most part on a M6. It turns off traction control, but leaves stability control on, yet in a very laid back setting. Not much else, and this is fully available in track mode.

Last edited by SS 1LE; 06-05-2017 at 08:33 AM.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #47
TrackClub

Hitting cruise will disrupt things for sure (per manual).
Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #48
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
This is false. It seems you are misunderstanding what competitive mode is and what turns off and doesn't fully turn off in track mode.

And yes, you can activate competitive mode in track mode, just like in sport mode. I just did it yesterday...I was able to use launch control in track mode. That means competitive mode was on.

Competitive mode is what allows access to launch control for the most part on a M6. It turns off traction control, but leaves stability on, yet in a very laid back setting.

TC can be turned fully off in Track mode. It is stability control that never goes fully 100% off. I think you are mixing the two up...
Launch control works in both Comp Mode and PTM Mode - per the manual.

Agree that TC can be turned off in Track: I've stated this in my posts one can do it by pressing TC button ONCE. But THIS mode is different than pressing TC button TWICE in Sport. At least I think it is different as:
1) Competitive Mode doesn't get displayed on a dash (like in Sport) and
2) only TC off symbol displays on a dash yet per the manual BOTH symbols must be lit up to indicate a Comp Mode (like it does in Sport).

This is consistent with the manual and what I see on a dash. But maybe you're getting there differently so could you pls describe in DETAIL the steps you follow to get to the same Comp Mode as is avail in Sport, but starting in Track.
Thx and cheers!

EDIT: as the name suggests PTM *always* maintains some degree of TC. From most in wet to least in Race. That's the whole design purpose of PTM: mush the throttle on exit and allow PTM dish out proper power based on TRACTION CONTROL. This is per the manual vs my own "musings".
What actually turns off in PTM is stability control or StabiliTrak system. But only in Sport 2 and Race. Ref the chart of how PTM works on page 1 of this thread. It explains it in detail and was provided by GM in a Vette Forum as per "ask Tadge" thread. I am not "making this up"
Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #49
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Agree that TC can be turned off in Track: I've stated this in my posts

Competitive Mode doesn't get displayed on a dash (like in Sport)

You said "TC never turns off in PTM" in the post I quoted above this one. That is one of the reasons I responded.

When I am in track mode, the competitive mode screen pops up for like a second before I get the PTM screen, letting you know it is on, which I have mentioned before.

Not sure why you are so worried about this competitive mode thing, as in the M6 cars all competitive mode really does is add launch control into the equation. Which you can get in both sport and track modes. The auto cars have more aggressive shifts and such as well in competitive mode, but that is not a concern to us of course.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #50
TrackClub

Quote:
This is false. It seems you are misunderstanding what competitive mode is and what turns off and doesn't fully turn off in track mode while using PTM.

Competitive mode is what allows access to launch control for the most part on a M6. It turns off traction control, but leaves stability control on, yet in a very laid back setting. Not much else.

Also, traction control can be turned fully off in track mode with PTM. It is stability control that never goes fully 100% off in this case. I think you are mixing the two up...
Regarding your last paragraph: assuming you go to Track then double click on TC button and now are in PTM mode: the ONLY choice u have is to select 1 of 5 PTM modes. You can't turns anything off or on over and above the 5 displayd choices.
And per PTM chart on page 1 TC will always stay on (but at different levels depending on a PTM mode) yet the stability control WILL TURN OFF in Sport 2 and Race.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #51
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

If you really want to see that traction control can be 100% turned off in track mode, go put your car in track mode, rev your car to about 3000 rpm, and dump your clutch...you will do a big ass burnout. No interference from traction control...you are reading into this whole thing way to much, just go enjoy your car!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #52
TrackClub

Quote:
You said "TC never turns off in PTM" in the post I quoted above this one. That is one of the reasons I responded.

When I am in track mode, the competitive mode screen pops up for like a second before I get the PTM screen, letting you know it is on, which I have mentioned before.

Not sure why you are so worried about this competitive mode thing, as in the M6 cars all competitive mode really does is add launch control into the equation. Which you can get in both sport and track modes. The auto cars have more aggressive shifts and such as well in competitive mode, but that is not a concern to us of course.
Indeed, per GM manual which describes how best to take advantage of PTM and their PTM chart on page 1: TC STAYS ON IN ALL PTM MODES! That's why the system is called Performance TRACTION Management

I am not worried about anything just want to clarify what DRIVE MODES (vs systems that do magic in a background) are available.
And to this point, a Competitive Mode available in Sport is yet another Drive Mode available, yet very different from what PTM provides (almost a reverse of it).
Lastly, you ASSUME the Comp Mode is there because the screen flashes before PTM choices are described. I will ASSUME the Comp Mode is either overriden by PTM, or at the very least modified so PTM choices can work.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #53
1LEMATT
1LE enthusiast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Indeed, per GM manual which describes how best to take advantage of PTM and their PTM chart on page 1: TC STAYS ON IN ALL PTM MODES! That's why the system is called Performance TRACTION Management

I am not worried about anything just want to clarify what DRIVE MODES (vs systems that do magic in a background) are available.
And to this point, a Competitive Mode available in Sport is yet another Drive Mode available, yet very different from what PTM provides (almost a reverse of it).
Lastly, you ASSUME the Comp Mode is there because the screen flashes before PTM choices are described. I will ASSUME the Comp Mode is either overriden by PTM, or at the very least modified so PTM choices can work.
Holy cow man, you need to stop reading your manual 500 times and go out and drive your car. FYI the performance supplement is known to have mistakes and omissions in it as well.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #54
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMATT View Post
Holy cow man, you need to stop reading your manual 500 times and go out and drive your car. FYI the performance supplement is known to have mistakes and omissions in it as well.
LOL! Thanks guys All I am trying to do here is to clarify what's what as the modes are fairly complicated and the manual doesn't to them justice. I'd rather "enjoy my car" knowing fully what each mode does. If you prefer to just turn everything off, or do trial and error: go right ahead! BTW if you have tangible examples of the manual being wrong: why not post it for the benefit of the community?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #55
TrackClub

Quote:
If you really want to see that traction control can be 100% turned off in track mode, go put your car in track mode, rev your car to about 3000 rpm, and dump your clutch...you will do a big ass burnout. No interference from traction control...you are reading into this whole thing way to much, just go enjoy your car!
How many times do I need to AGREE with you here??? Go to Track, press TC once and it is off!
But try to do a burn out in any of the PTM mode and I dare you to post a vid that doesn't show TC coming on
Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #56
TrackClub

FYI: I've reread the manual again (oh no! Oh no!) and I can now confirm that pressing TC ONCE in Track launches Competitive Mode the same as pressing TC TWICE in Sport. The manual actually says that Of course if you press the TC button TWICE in Track you'll be out of Competitive Mode and into PTM which provides a completely different assistance and different driving style is suggested by the manual to get the most benefit from it.
Cheers!