Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #15
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
In addition to Hagerty and Lockton, OpenTrack is another option (especially if you're planning to do a bunch of track events in a given year).
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #16
Mandonios

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
As others have said, Hagerty. To add to that, if you join Sports Car Club America they will send you a coupon for ~20% off your first track day insurance purchase from Hagerty. SCCA membership is 60 bucks, so definitely worth it imo.
Mandonios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPalms View Post
Can anyone recommend any affordable, but reliable insurance companies? The company partnered with the track I would be using wanted over $500 for the one day event. Totally new to this, but that seemed very steep.
OP I do not know anything much about that Insurance company But I can tell you do not depend on insurance companies making good on that detail. Get the Track day insurance. Don't forget you could injure others or worse in a track accident.

My 700+ HP twin turbo 2013 SS1LE was totaled after I let my friend drive it at Millville. He was an experienced driver and owned a supercharged Coyote Mustang that was faster than my Camaro. He was lucky and mostly fine after his son the doctor sewed up his arm at the track. He had to crawl out of the blown back window of the upside down Camaro.

I came very close to losing my friend which is by far more important than any car. He and I were very lucky.

Know what you might be getting into.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #18
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I disagree that at a general HPDE it's unnecessary. Even if you go through the day with an abundance of caution, you never know when something out of your control happens. If you're able/willing to write off a $30-40k car with no financial backing, then good for you. Most people aren't though. I wouldn't expect something to happen, but you don't want to put yourself in a poor financial position to save a few hundred dollars.
I supposed it depends on the HPDE you go to. The one I went to was geared towards people with relatively little experience so we weren't nearly pushing our cars. They divided us into two groups and my group only had me and a C7 Corvette. The other group is pretty far away from us at all times. For reference, I was able to get just a hair under 1:30 on that track(VIMC in BC, Canada), and at HPDE, I was getting 1:45ish, so nowhere near the limit for things to go wrong, really.

That said, I think I should at least give the track insurance companies a call. If it's something like CAN$200 an event then why not. Probably wouldn't do it for much more than that, though, but that's me. Do what you feel comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
yep, it's like driving on the street, you buy the insurance mostly because of the other guy! I was at NJMP this month, and the car behind dropped transmission fluid every where, black flagging the session. As we were coming around to pit we went through the slick... it was hard to see. I can't image hitting that at pace.

It's funny, i think most of the cars i see spin out, or are driven way beyond their abilities, probably don't have insurance.

I would add... shop between hagerty and lockton. hagerty was initially cheaper for me, but now i'm seeing hagerty being more expensive then lockton on some tracks.
I would say that it boils down to how much risk is acceptable to you. I personally had a few close calls for sure, but nothing that would total the car even if they did go wrong.

There are some tips and tricks to keep yourself safe, insurance or not. Keep your distance, go into the pit lane if you think you need a break, stay away from the hotheads, just things like that could greatly reduce your risk.

The streets and tracks are a bit different IMO. While track introduces some risks, a lot of risks are eliminated from the road as well. No more crazy guy in his $1000 Corolla with bold, cracking tires driving like a maniac, so there is that.

I personally don't know many people who go to the local track with insurance but I also didn't specifically ask. Options are also more limited in Canada, which is part of why I didn't bother before. Stoneridge Specialty and that seems to be it? Not sure if OpenTrack will do it for people living in Canada.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #19
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptchris View Post
I was quoted 500 too, I want to take mine to the track to give it a try. But it’s looking to cost 1k to do this, I was looking to get an instructor to teach me some of the finer points.
Dang really? I've never looked into it, but had thought about maybe tracking my SS one day. $1k to take my own car to the track for 1 day. No thanks....
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #20
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Dang really? I've never looked into it, but had thought about maybe tracking my SS one day. $1k to take my own car to the track for 1 day. No thanks....
From what I have researched, you could bump up the deductible to save some cost with some track insurance.

If I were you, I would ask at car meets to see if any track guys have any recommendations, either for insurance or just well-organized events with very low risk for anything to go wrong. Things like lead-follow for complete newbies who haven't been to tracks before at all.

Honestly, with how most novice drivers drive(I got put in novice groups a lot, which I don't mind too much actually) at my local open tracking days, I personally wouldn't worry about track insurance but again, I am sure some will scold me for that(and I totally understand). Your first track day won't be crazy anyway.

Past:
Old 07-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #21
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

You can get instant quotes to take the guesswork out of how much it'll cost

e.g.
https://ecommerce.rlicorp.com/HPDE/A...kQuote/Hagerty
https://app.opentrack.com/v3/quotes/...H/select_quote
https://hpde.locktonmotorsports.com/

It's based on declared value of your car and I think it varies a bit too based on the track for some insurance companies.

In my experience, $500 is about right for a 3 day event, 10% deductible and $65k declared value (which is what I put for my ZLE). I haven't purchased for a single day event, but I'd expect it to be around $200
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 07-21-2021, 10:48 PM   #22
Ghost_White

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Can't forget the wear and tear on tires and brakes, not too mention the $600+ in oil changes you'll need, and if you're serious the moving of the shocks and alignment, so figure another $400 there...so in reality you're looking at about $2500 for the day.... NO THANKS!
Ghost_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:39 AM   #23
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_White View Post
Can't forget the wear and tear on tires and brakes, not too mention the $600+ in oil changes you'll need, and if you're serious the moving of the shocks and alignment, so figure another $400 there...so in reality you're looking at about $2500 for the day.... NO THANKS!
Ya, that takes all the wind out of my sails for even thinking about it. My car won't see a track. Not to mention I just changed my brakes to the Powerstop from the OEM Brembo, so I'd have to change the brakes back too. Guess I'll just have to live with the fun twisties on the back roads around here.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:35 AM   #24
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Yes, HPDE events are expensive. But these costs are embellished a bit based on my experience. And cost can vary greatly depending on event organizer. For instance, PCA events are roughly $500 for 3 days while Hooked on Driving I just booked a 3 day event for $1200. With PCA, instructors still pay (at a reduced rate) which makes it a bit cheaper for everyone else, while with HoD, instructors are free so everyone else eats some of that cost. I'm sure there are other reasons for difference in price too. I've never done NASA or SCCA so can't speak to those event costs.

So if I breakdown some of the anticipated costs of an HPDE weekend (again, 3 days! which to me increases the value proposition) and use a PCA event as an example...

PCA 3 day event: $500
Track Insurance: $500
Track Alignment: $100
10 qts. Mobil 1: $50
PF64 Filter: $6
Motul 660 1L: $75/3 events = $25
Dexron Gear Oil (Diff Fluid): $20/4 events = $5
Fuel @ 2 tanks/day: $300
Goodyear SC3R: $1500/3 events = $500
OEM Brake Pads: $350/4 events = $87.50
TOTAL COST FOR 3 DAYS: $2073.50 or ~$700/day

Probably some other costs I'm not accounting for, but far from $2500/day. And my estimates of how many events fluids/tires/brakes last may be off, but still...

It's an expensive hobby.
Cars are an expensive hobby.
Drag racing is an expensive hobby.
AutoX is an expensive hobby.

Cost is high, but, to me, value is also high as the experience of an HPDE event is second to none. Some of the most fun I've ever had is out there on the track.

YouTube
Old 07-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #25
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Yes, HPDE events are expensive. But these costs are embellished a bit based on my experience. And cost can vary greatly depending on event organizer. For instance, PCA events are roughly $500 for 3 days while Hooked on Driving I just booked a 3 day event for $1200. With PCA, instructors still pay (at a reduced rate) which makes it a bit cheaper for everyone else, while with HoD, instructors are free so everyone else eats some of that cost. I'm sure there are other reasons for difference in price too. I've never done NASA or SCCA so can't speak to those event costs.

So if I breakdown some of the anticipated costs of an HPDE weekend (again, 3 days! which to me increases the value proposition) and use a PCA event as an example...

PCA 3 day event: $500
Track Insurance: $500
Track Alignment: $100
10 qts. Mobil 1: $50
PF64 Filter: $6
Motul 660 1L: $75/3 events = $25
Dexron Gear Oil (Diff Fluid): $20/4 events = $5
Fuel @ 2 tanks/day: $300
Goodyear SC3R: $1500/3 events = $500
OEM Brake Pads: $350/4 events = $87.50
TOTAL COST FOR 3 DAYS: $2073.50 or ~$700/day

Probably some other costs I'm not accounting for, but far from $2500/day. And my estimates of how many events fluids/tires/brakes last may be off, but still...

It's an expensive hobby.
Cars are an expensive hobby.
Drag racing is an expensive hobby.
AutoX is an expensive hobby.

Cost is high, but, to me, value is also high as the experience of an HPDE event is second to none. Some of the most fun I've ever had is out there on the track.
That's pretty well in line with when I've tried to calculate the costs of an HPDE weekend (2 days). I've come up with roughly $1500 for both days, plus meals and hotel. Of course, that can go up or down significantly depending on the car you use, or even just the tires. My Miata is probably closer to $1000 a weekend. No insurance, and cheaper consumables.

For autox, I assume roughly $100 an event, with tires being the biggest changer in that amount.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #26
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
my costs have been different, but it's because i've done only scca track nights. Since taking delivery of my car in 2019, I've done 8 track nights, and really haven't bought any major consumables yet. I just bought an extra set of pads for the season only, but still could have used first set for another two events. I also have enough of the original tires left for 2 or 3 more events. So my total costs for 8 hours on the track have been:
8*($130 scca + $200 insurance + $100 gas) + $150 fluid = ~ $3600

I should say my first few events i was getting used to the car, and not pushing it like i do now. Also, i do my own alignments.

I think spreading out track events with something like track nights instead of doing a multiple day events is way better for getting a maximum enjoyment.

Tracking a car is expensive, but you are getting a lot of out it. The drive to the track is fun, talking with other gear heads is fun, learning a new skill is fun. And think of how much cars depreciate anyway (well think pre-covid), a $40k car it's like $5k a year. The Camaro is providing so much for you to get on track that you've already paid for, especially the 1le: (camber adjustabilty, track tires, warranty coverage, engine cooling.... etc)

Last edited by Hops; 07-22-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #27
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
if you can drive to the track and drive home in one piece you have had a good day lol ive done 5 track days this year usually $200 or so plus gas and my tires and brakes last me along time usually do 2 oil changes a year and diff fluid/tranny fluid/brake fluid yearly
Old 07-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #28
UnknownJinX

Quote:
What are these numbers...

0W-40 is good for track and street. As long as you have enough oil life left on it(some recommend not letting it drop below 50%), you are good.

As for alignment, getting my SS 1LE to the track spec alignment cost me $200. You don't need to adjust it every time after the track. If anything, the garbage roads around my area whacks my alignment out of spec more than the track can ever do.

Quote:
Ya, that takes all the wind out of my sails for even thinking about it. My car won't see a track. Not to mention I just changed my brakes to the Powerstop from the OEM Brembo, so I'd have to change the brakes back too. Guess I'll just have to live with the fun twisties on the back roads around here.
Oh come on...

What, you guys are expecting to set new records the first time you ever track?

Trust me, first time on the track, you are not gonna worry about wear and tear. Heck, I have been to my local track for like 5 times already and I am still learning. For your first day, you are gonna follow the track instructor's cars for a couple of sessions, then just take it easy. You won't be pushing your car anywhere near the limit. If anything, work on your lines and practice things like the string theory first.

You guys are missing out some fun for all the wrong reasons. Even if you are taking it easy on a track, I would say that it's still more fun that I could ever have on any public roads(especially with the number of pigs on the road patrolling around my area nowadays).

Past:

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 07-22-2021 at 02:19 PM.