Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #43
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Wait until you see the hood in person. That "heat extractor" looks out of place. Cheap plastic with extremely slow curves at every angle really clash with the sharp lines of the hood. It looks like someone ghetto'd their car with a DIY part from AutoZone that was intended for a Honda Civic.

GM will definitely not let this redesign run for more than 2 model years before rushing to do one of the following:
Another refresh
7th gen debut
Cancel Alpha1 vehicles (Cadillac moves to Alpha2 with CT4/CT5)

The 2019 Camaro is GM's "Ford Five Hundred" moment. Nobody is going to fall in love with that style and one lap around the auto show circuit should be enough to get it into GM's heads.
Hopefully the cars styling can be corrected in time for the 7th gen. This is up there with Bangle.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #44
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Yep - still ugly.

I wish Chevy would listen but they seem to be stuck in the echo chamber of "people will love it when they see it in person".
They did listen for the initial 6th gen design. IIRC, everyone said make it look like the 5th gen and don't worry about the visibility. So they did that. But then sales went down and everyone complained that it was because it looked too much like the 5th gen and that visibility sucks. Can't win.

I'm personally on the fence about the restyle. We like what we're familiar with and this is a big departure, so I'm not surprised everyone is up in arms about it. I've seen this with lots of other restyles. But who knows, maybe it'll get peoples attention and be a big hit.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #45
Gen6

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Every time I think it is growing on me, I see that out of place Flowtie and remember how much I don't like the refresh!!!

Past: 2017 2SS | Auto| Garnet Red Tintcoat | Adrenaline Red | 6 Piston Brembos | MRC | NPP | Illuminated Front Bowtie | Sunroof | Navigation | Ground effects | Dark tail lights
Gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #46
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
They did listen for the initial 6th gen design. IIRC, everyone said make it look like the 5th gen and don't worry about the visibility. So they did that. But then sales went down and everyone complained that it was because it looked too much like the 5th gen and that visibility sucks. Can't win.

I'm personally on the fence about the restyle. We like what we're familiar with and this is a big departure, so I'm not surprised everyone is up in arms about it. I've seen this with lots of other restyles. But who knows, maybe it'll get peoples attention and be a big hit.

Nigel
Nigel,

Great response and well stated. I don't think we disagree much about familarity in design. Customers often don't know what they want and need to be shown/sold something innovative. That falls on the marketing department which....hasn't produced what our forum has expected to put it mildly.

6th gen design:

In terms of design, I do understand the logic of a big departure when you look at the sales figures, however there are areas of the design of the 6th gen overall where one could have taken the feedback from owners and still have produced a more viable product. Visibility concerns were made worse in some areas while design cues kept poor visibility in others (dash hump).

Refresh design:
Big departure which is sure to ruffle the feathers of the Camaro faithful. In a niche market, why abandon your customers? Better yet, why not adopt a page from the competitor vehicles and offer evolution of design languages rather than a full blown revolution? I offer two enthusiast vehicles that have survived for decades in the VW GTI and Porsche 911 for how to do refreshes properly on a marque with lineage to it. Aside from the 996 era (which currently has the lowest resale value of any 911), Porsche continued to maintain the same body lines and offer evolutionary changes rather than the take a chainsaw to the car. I look at how the Mustang manages (even with the 2015+), to keep most of its heritage alive as well. (Can clearly see the evolution from the SN95 era to the 2015 front).

Since design is subjective, and I'm not an art critic, these are just some random thoughts. However, I think where you see this large amount of backlash from owners of the car and enthusiasts (which are the core customer segment for Camaro), the response of "just need to see it in person" is a bit shallow of a response here. If it were a small detail like the lower bumper on the 2018 Mustang, then ok...but changing the entire face and hood of the car to something completely unlike anything Camaro that came before (other than the Transformers toy)....a bit different.

It's a "bad" design for a "Camaro".

The beauty of this discussion is that everyone has their own opinions and perspectives and no one is black and white correct or incorrect. Sales will be the only answer in this entire debate for us all. Sorry for rambling.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #47
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The new front end certainly has a more rounded look which I like better (at least in black) and is less angular compared the previous model but I do not like the bowtie placement on the refresh.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #48
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulafastech View Post
A little 1LE comparison shot.
In the past weeks, every time I see a 16-18 Camaro on the road, I can't help but think, "Wow, these cars look great. How could Chevy go so much in the opposite direction in the re-design?"
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #49
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Man it's not that bad, this is getting a little silly.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #50
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
I really wish people would stand up and show GM this won’t fly. Everyone’s “good enough “ and “it’ll grow on me” attitude is unacceptable.

This thing is a train wreck from the fenders forward. Stop acting like it’s ok for them to put this kind of crap out there
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #51
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
I'm actually reserving judgement based more on the white 2019 1LE video. All the curves that didn't look right in a still picture looked pretty OK in motion.

Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #52
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I still don’t like the LED strips in the headlights. They look bizarre.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #53
BFella

Drives: 16' Supercharged 1SS
Looks so bad, that's just a huge nope.

760RWHP Magnuson 1SS
BFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #54
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Since this refresh is in the front and rear fascia,
GM could offer the two as an option
pick the cool design (16,17,18) or butt ugly design (19+)
This could be on the build sheet.
See which one of the fascias that people order.

I bet it would be 99 to 1
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #55
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Well at least You don't need to buy an iluminated bowtie with that
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #56
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
a bit better
Attached Images